Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Blue lights
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:16 pm 

In the books I read about Nelson, I came across Blue lights several times. Could some one please inform me what they are and what they are used for.
Sylvia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:46 pm 

Blue lights were burnt at night for signals. I don't know what chemicals were used or how long they would burn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:49 pm 

"Blue Lights - a well known species of useful artificial fire-works. The compositon is as follows: saltpetre 1 lb 4oz; sulpher 5 oz; antimony 7 oz; mealed powder 1 oz. To make blue lights, provide a piece of trunnel about 10 inches long, boring a hole at one end, about three inches deep and three quarters of an inch in diameter, then woold it with a rope yarn while loading it with the composition,putting in a tea-spoonful at a time, and, with an iron rammer to fit the hole, striking it hard with a wooden mallet, five or six times 'til it is filled up. At the top put a piece of paper over it. This is fit for use as signals, by night"
(Falconer's Marine Dictionary 1815 edition)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:04 pm 

As you probably know, there was a secondary meaning for "Blue Lights"...

It is the source of great joy to my soul to be able to state, that in the present day we can boast of a few captains who are holy leaders and commanders to the people; and though they are stigmatised with opprobrious epithets, such as Blue Lights, Psalm Singer, Saints, &c* they are not ashamed of the gospel of God. While they serve an earthly king, they are concerned to be found amongst the small number, who serve the King of kings, and Lord of lords.

*These are the usual expressions which sailors use when talking of religious characters on board ships.

The Christian mariner's journal; or, A series of observations and reflections on a ship; the sea; sailors; the works of God; the heathen; war; time; death, &c. &c. intended for the benefit of seamen, and the general good of every person. Written at sea, by an officer in the Royal Navy. London, 1829

An ambitious work indeed! :)

Looks like there's a new book about the so-called Blue Lights:

Evangelicals in the Royal Navy, 1775-1815: Blue Lights and Psalm-singers
by Richard Blake
Boydell & Brewer, 2008

Publisher's blurb:
The Evangelical Admiral Gambier, notorious for distributing tracts to his fleet in a theatre of war, is commonly seen as a misfit in a fighting service that had scant time for fervent piety. In fact, the navy of the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars showed a level of religious observance not seen since the days of Queen Anne. Evangelical laymen provided one dynamic for this change: concentrating first on public worship, they moved to active proselytism in search of converts amongst sailors, and in a third phase developed a loose network of prayer groups in scores of ships, uniting officers and seamen in voluntary gatherings that transcended rank. This book explores the effect this new piety had on discipline and human governance, on literacy, on the development of chaplains' ministry and on the mindset of the officer corps. It also looks at the larger question of how its values were absorbed into the ethos of the navy as a whole. It draws on sources both familiar and unusual - logs, letters, minutes, memoirs, tracts and sermons, Regulations - to explain how evangelical influence affected officer corps, lower deck and Admiralty, showing how a movement that began by promoting public worship at sea became an agency for mass evangelism through literature, preaching and off-duty gatherings, where officers and men met for shared Bible reading and prayer a mere decade after the great Mutinies.

Post subject: Evangelicals in the Royal Navy, 1775-1815:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:21 pm 

Galiano,
This book is definitely on my list to read. My ggggfr Joseph, although apparently very vigorous in the actions in which he took part, on retirement in 1816 devoted himself to evengelical deeds for the rest of his life, becoming an hon sec of the Naval and Military Bible Society. One theory is that the ravages of shipboard life and battle caused a 'spiritual backlash' in many officers and men.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:24 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you for that interesting reference. I have been wondering about this for some time. I knew there was a strain of evangelism in the RN, Gambier 'Dismal Jimmy', and Lord Barham being two well-known evangelicals, but it seems to be in sharp contrast to Nelson's brand of religious faith. As a parson's son he was punctilious in the observation of official worship, and drew much of his own strength of mind from his uncomplicated faith; a religious man but not, as Colin White has observed, a pious one. But he also saw religion as a means of forging unity and discipline on board. Roger Knight notes('Pursuit of Victory p.649) that he made it his practice to ensure that the Society for the Promotion of Christian Knowledge provided plentiful supplies of Bibles and prayer books, 'an important prop in a dangerous and unforgiving life, but Nelson knew well that they were also good as a support to the discipline of his ship'.

Sorry for the digression - the power of metaphor!

Post subject: Re: Evangelicals in the Royal Navy, 1775-1815:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:28 pm 

chasbaz wrote:
Galiano,
This book is definitely on my list to read. My ggggfr Joseph, although apparently very vigorous in the actions in which he took part, on retirement in 1816 devoted himself to evengelical deeds for the rest of his life, becoming an hon sec of the Naval and Military Bible Society. One theory is that the ravages of shipboard life and battle caused a 'spiritual backlash' in many officers and men.

Hello from the Wet Coast, Chasbaz! I forgot to say that the book quoted above, The Christian Mariner's Journal, can be found on Google Books.
One can easily imagine that in such a deprived and dangerous existence the need for the consolation of religion could become urgent.
(And one hopes that despairing souls could turn to someone less pompous than the author of Christian Mariner's Journal!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:30 pm 

Hi Galiano,
Greetings from the wrong side of the Rockies!
Actually I meant "Evangelicals in the Royal Navy, 1775-1815: Blue Lights and Psalm-singers" because it may hopefully have some good backgound information and sources, but thanks for pointing me to The Christian Mariner's Journal on Google books. I will dip into it to get a flavour!

My ggggfr is mentioned in The Napoleonists: A Study in Political Disaffection, 1760-1960. by E. Tangye Lean but he seems to be included for quite frivolous reasons, namely than he (apparently) lived for a time in Edwardes Square. Anyone less likely to be disaffected, or a supporter of Bonaparte, than my ggggfr is hard to imagine.

Chas

Post subject: Evangelicals in the Royal Navy
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:02 pm 

Hmm, Evangelicals in the Royal Navy not available in Amazon and a bit pricey too at $97. Maybe I'll wait till it gets into the library system. I see that Prof NAM Rodger gave the book a glowing review. I found the Christian Mariner truly uplifting as expected :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:54 pm 

I will be trying to get hold of a copy of

by Richard Blake

because it covers part of what I am researching.

I wonder if anyone knows Richard Blake - I think it would be very useful to contact him if I could.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:43 pm 

For the book, Evangelicals etc. see:

http://www.boydell.co.uk/4383359X.HTM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:59 pm 

chasbaz wrote:
I wonder if anyone knows Richard Blake - I think it would be very useful to contact him if I could.

In June he will be speaking at the 5th International Congress of Maritime History at the Greenwich Maritime Institute.
http://web-dev-csc.gre.ac.uk/conference/conf34/eventdetails.php?wId=204

2V-03 Fireships at Aix Roads 1809: A Controversy Rekindled

1. Allies not Antagonists
    Contrasting characters of Admiral Lord Gambier and Captain Lord Cohrane
    2. The New Piety
    Gambier’s religious zeal – its provenance and outworking in a naval context
    3. The Action Reconsidered
    Cochrane’s brilliant assault on the French anchorage
    Limited follow-up and limited triumph
    Cochrane’s fantasy – or Gambier’s failure?
    4. Consequences
    a. The irony of reputation
    Gambier cleared by court martial but condemned by historians
    Cochrane’s career collapsed – an reputation recovered
    b. The place of religion in the public domain
    Was Gambier the commander disabled by Gambier the Christian?
    Effects of the new piety in the officer corps and on the lower deck
    c. A controversial movement for reform
    Did it sap warlike ardour (as contemporary critics alleged) or was it “the hope of the navy” (as Admiral Sir Jahleel Brenton maintained)?

Speaker: Richard Blake
    Organization: Independent Researcher
    Biography: Richard Blake is a retired headteacher with degrees from Oxford and Southampton. His book ‘Evangelicals in the Royal Navy 1775-1815: Blue Lights and Psalm-singers’ is being published by The Boydell Press in the Spring of 2008.

I'm sure the conference organizers could put you in touch with him.
Contacts page is at
http://web-dev-csc.gre.ac.uk/conference/conf34/index.php?p=283

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:20 pm 
Site Admin

It seems a pity to move this discussion of blue lights back to the literal from the metaphorical but the ever-fascinating Times Archive has numerous references to 'blue lights' on ships. It seems they were often used in combination with rockets both as celebratory illuminations during festivities and also as distress signals - the rocket being fired first and the blue lights were then burned in the hope of attracting help.

For example, The Times of 5 February 1812 records the wreck of the 'Defence': 'she made signals with blue lights that she was lost without resource and in a moment afterwards she went to pieces'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:18 pm 

I have now managed to borrow a copy of this book from a U library.
by Richard Blake
I will collect it today. If anyone would like me to do any lookups while I have it I will be happy to do so.

Charles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:53 am 
Site Admin

Charles:

I'd very much welcome a brief, general comment on the book. Even with an Amazon reduction it's £47+, which I don't mind paying, but only if it's well-written as well as well-researched, so I'd appreciate your views.

Many thanks,

Anna