Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Sails
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:26 pm 

Last Monday night a terrible fire raged on the Batavia Yard in Lelystad. I worked there for a while as volunteer. I have posted about the Batavia Yard on another forum.

http://www.bataviawerf.nl/en/index.html

Thank goodness the Batavia ship and the 7 Provincien, the ship the yard is building at the moment, are safe.

All the sails of the Batavia ship (1200m2) are lost in the fire. It took volunteers 10 years to make them, now they have to start all over again.

How much extra sail had ships in Nelson’s time on board, to replace them if they had to do so? If one ship ran out of sail, could they “borrow” from another?

Sylvia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:14 pm 

Hello Sylvia,

I was very sorry to read your post concerning the fire at the Batavia yard, but it was good that both ships were untouched. Sorry too that the Batavia's sails were lost; it must almost have been heartbreaking for the sailmaker others involved in their making. As you say they will have to begin again, but it could have been worse.

As regards the amount sail ships of Nelson's fleet had on board ships might of course borrow from one another, but each ship was expected to be self-sufficient especially since she might become isolated or separated due to the vagaries of service. A problem with borrowing too, would have been that one ships sails may not have been a suitable size for another without some modification to fit the yards. Each ship would probably have had at least another suit of sails, consisting of various strengths of canvas, i.e. from no. 1 for the courses and topsails, to no. 6 gauge for the lighter sails, such as topgallants, royals and staysails, and have the wherewithal to make others. To this end each ship's stores would contain bolts of canvas of the various strengths, and the ship would also have borne a sailmaker and his mates, capable of making new ones. This would have been no big deal, since sails were often lost in battle or through the vagaries of the weather, so the men would have been very experienced in their making and could have made new sails in quite a short time.

Kester

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:23 pm 

Hello Kester,

Thank you for your sympathy and information about sails. It is much appreciated.

As the director of the Batavia yard said on our local TV station, the financial damage is great, but the emotional damage to the volunteers working on the yard is even greater.

All the volunteers are very determined to restore the damage the fire has caused. Although it will take lots of energy, time and money to make new sails for the Batavia ship again.

Sylvia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:44 pm 

Hello Sylvia,

I'm sure the director of the yard is right and am equally sure the volunteeer workforce will want to make up for the loss. I'm sure they will do it.

I've seen pictures of the Batavia and she looks great. It would be interesting to know what you were working on when you were there.

Kester

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:43 pm 

Hello Kester,

I helped with the administration of the volunteer co-ordinator of the Batavia Yard. Her office was situated above the yard shop. Sitting at the computer desk, I could oversee part of the yard, the Batavia ship and the 7 Provincien.

The yard opens to the public at 10am. As a volunteer I had to be present at 9.30am. Many times I have spent half that hour visiting the Batavia. Often I was the only person onboard and believe me I enjoyed it. Hearing the wood work, the wind through the rigging and smelling the hemp and wood I just stood on her deck and imagined I was at sea.

After my accident I can unfortunately no longer visit her, but if you ever are in Holland Kester, the Batavia yard is worth a visit. And if you make sure to be there at 10am, you may be so lucky to be the only person on the Batavia too. I am sure you will, just like I did, enjoy that.

Sylvia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:55 am 

Sylvia,

Thanks for the info, hope you didn't mind me asking? It's just nice to know a bit more about the other members. I think you'd agree there's just nothing like being aboard a sailing ship!

I have been to Holland three times, twice by sailing vessel in Tall Ships Races to Amsterdam - the first time with the Scouts in 19-- ! I was very impressed with the city and especially loved the Maritime Museum. However, I don't think the Batavia was around then. If I am ever there again I will be sure to go and visit her.

Kester