Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:04 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: New Book: 'Jack Tar: Life in Nelson's Navy'
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:44 am 
Site Admin

The Literary Review has again devoted space to a book with a naval theme. This month's issue contains a review of Roy & Lesley Adkins' latest book, 'Jack Tar: Life in Nelson's Navy' (Little, Brown £20)

The review, by Nigel Jones, though long, is rather disappointing; beyond describing the book as 'spirited and unsparing', it gives no opinion or comment - merely lists some of the information to be found in the book. I do deplore this kind of reviewing that is becoming more prevalent - you simply get a digest of the content with little or nothing about the quality of the writing - though those of us who know the Adkins' previous, admirable work will have 'Jack Tar' on order or will be dropping hints for Christmas to our nearest and dearest.

I wonder if the reviewer is the same Nigel Jones who has written biographies of Rupert Brooke and Patrick Hamilton? If so, it is a pity that someone used to working with historical and biographical material didn't write a more insightful review.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:41 pm 

Hello Tycho,

I know what you mean, the 'review' is not so much a review but more of a list of what the book contains. The end result is less than satisfactory. I'm sure however that there will be some good reviews about this book especially, as you say, judging by the authors' past work. It might even appear on the NMM's Journal for Maritime Research site, where the book reviews are very much to the point and given by informed experts.

Kester

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:29 pm 

Hello, is it appropriate for me to reply? Many thanks for your kind words and for mentioning the review. As readers, we would much rather know if a book is worth reading, but as authors we would much rather receive something that contains little or no comment rather than one that is unjustly scathing! We were sent a photocopy of this review last week, and see that they have lopped off quite a few pages - it's listed as 291 pages, but it actually has 429 pages and 50 prelims, though amongst those there are a few blank pages where they always insist (why?) on starting a new chapter on the right-hand side.

Lesley

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:16 am 

Hello Lesley,

Welcome to the forum, and your reply is certainly appropriate! You make an interesting point, one I hadn't thought of, and give us an insight into the publishing world.

However, 'unjustly scathing' comments about your work? Surely not, although I shall be reading 'The War for All the Oceans' soon!

Kester