Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:56 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: NMM Caird Library Closure
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:32 pm 

Whilst at the National Maritime Museum's Caird Library last week, we were informed that new building work will mean the library's closure sometime in the New Year. There are no definite dates for closure yet, but it was recommended that any outstanding research work be completed before Christmas. The Caird is likely to be closed for some months.

Many readers will be aware of the current policy on photographing 'restricted access' items at the NMM. It can be very expensive, but I understand that the library has acquired new scanning equipment and the policy is due to change this week. A facsimile service will supplement the photgraphic method currently employed, which will come in very useful for the smaller, rarer and more delicate manuscripts and documents held by the museum.

No further details as yet, but I hope to follow this up soon to find out more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:36 pm 

the Caird Library will close to all users on Saturday 20 December 2008 and reopen in late spring/early summer 2009. More information here: http://www.nmm.ac.uk/library/2008/10/te ... _dece.html

The only copying service to be provided will be for master's certificates and crew lists.

For me personally, this is a devasting blow to my research as there is no way I can get there before the 20th December because of work commitments. I find it hard to imagine that it is impossible to plan something less disruptive, but of course have no knowledge of what is involved.

When the library reopens, the service will be reduced to visits by appointment on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, and the first Saturday of every month. It seems very strange to me that the additional funds and new facilities will result in a reduced service. I'm baffled - perhaps I have misunderstood something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:43 pm 
Site Admin

There is a request for feedback on the link that Tony has given, so perhaps we should make our concerns about the reduced service known?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:10 pm 

There is much discussion of this topic in the private member's forum here: http://www.nelsonandhisworld.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=258

(You need to be a registered member to view the thread.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:01 pm 
Site Admin

Tony:

several members have suggested that the discussion INW might be of wider interest beyond our private concerns about access and that we might transfer the discussion to the General Discussion Forum.

I think this is a good idea and will get the thread transferred as soon as possible. See 'Access to NMM Material'.