Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:53 am 
Site Admin

Mira:

if Wallace is of interest, you might like to know that the work by Thomas Kirkup of Fatfield, Durham, 'A Memoir of Duncan Wallace being a narrative of his voyages, shipwrecks, travels etc. dictated by himself'. Pub. J. Bell, Newcastle on Tyne 1862, is available at the BL, shelf mark 10826.b.29

There is also a copy for sale on abebooks at £125. This has a frontispiece with a portrait of Wallace 'taken from a photograph by W.S. Parry'. Perhaps your coxswain's 'noble looks' (if 'tis indeed he) might have deteriorated with the passing years. And, of course, his stories might have become more elaborate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:48 am 

This is brilliant, and yes please Tycho, Wallace is of great interest, although there are enough Coxswains emerging to crew a whole ship.

Found another anecdote of the noble but anonymous hero in an antiquarian joke book:

Joe Miller's Jests. With Copious Additons (1836.)

Quote:
"When the baggage of Lady Hamilton was landed at Palermo, Lord Nelson's coxswain was very active in conveying it to the ambassador's hotel. Lady Hamilton observed this, and presenting the man with a moidore, said, Now, my friend, what will you have to drink ? Why, please your honour, said the coxswain, I am not thirsty. But, said her ladyship, Nelson's steersman must drink with me, so what will you take, a dram, a glass of grog, or a glass of punch ? Why, said Jack, as I am to drink with your ladyship's honour, it would not be good manners to be backward, so I'll take the dram now, and will be drinking the glass of grog while your ladyship is mixing the tumbler of punch for me."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:17 am 
Site Admin

Love the joke - it's the way you tell 'em!

There are two snippets on Wallace in the Nelson Society booklet mentioned above.

No 1

At the battle of Cape St Vincent, ‘one of Nelson’s petty officers was Duncan Wallace, whose long career as a sailor is set forth very graphically in a memoir edited by Thomas Kirkup. From this book I take the following:

A circumstance occurred in this battle which reflects great credit upon Wallace for his activity and courage. In boarding the San Nicolas, as he was jumping from the poop deck to the quarter deck, he was attacked by the first lieutenant of the San Nicolas, who made a pass at him with his sword. Wallace parried off the thrust, and in striking at him, broke his sword, about six inches from the guard, by hitting it against the foremost beam on the poop deck. He was now placed in a perilous situation; not a moment was to be lost. He therefore immediately attacked the lieutenant with hand and foot, and struck him in the neck a furious and deadly blow, causing him to fall head-foremost against the bulwarks, and was killed. Wallace instantly seized the fallen lieutenant’s sword and dashed at the foe.

This deed of activity and bravery was performed in the presence, and under the eye of Nelson, who called out, ‘Wallace, I’ll not forget you for that’. He kept his word and Wallace was made quarter-master’.

[Didn’t Nelson also promise not to forget John Sykes for his heroism in the same battle?]

No. 2

The above was not the most remarkable encounter between Wallace and Nelson. Even more striking was the conversation which passed between them at the battle of Aboukir:

At this battle, Wallace was shot through the right arm by a musket ball. After the wound had been dressed by Dr Miller, he was ordered to his hammock but he told the doctor that he would not disgrace his country by going to his hammock with such a scratch as that, that every effective man was wanted, and he would go to his duty, and attend to it, as long as he was able.

At ten o’clock the same day, Nelson heard of this circumstance and sent for Wallace, when he said, ‘Wallace, this is the third ship and the fourth battle that I have been in with you, and today I will make you an officer.’

Wallace said, ‘I thank your honour for the distinction shown to me among so many hundreds of men, but I respectfully decline the offered promotion; first, that you were the cause of keeping me in the service in the year 1795, contrary to the laws of my country, and cutting me off from the means of realising a fortune by commercial pursuits. Second, if I hold an office in the British Navy under its present discipline, I must become a tool to tyranny and oppression, which is contrary to my name, my country and my principles; and lastly, I have my conscience to consult and my God to meet.’

After a pause, Nelson looked at me rather sternly, and said, ‘You are a true patriot.’ I replied that it was from him that I had copied these principles.

Nelson never again offered to promote Wallace; calling the officers tyrants was mutinous language, for which, according to the articles of war, he might have been hung, but Nelson knew his man and never resented it.’

On re-reading this, I note that your anonymous coxswain and Wallace both use the respectful term 'your honour'. Was this a usual form of address to superiors? I should have thought 'Sir', 'Madam', 'Your Lordship' or 'Your Ladyship' more likely. Was 'your honour' an idiosyncracy that might point to Wallace and your coxswain being one and the same? Just a thought.

Post subject: Re: Nelson's Coxswain
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:27 pm 

Mira wrote:
Does anyone recognise Nelson's coxswain described below? I'd be very glad of any suggestions as to who this sailor might be.

Quote:
A noble-looking, tall, seaman, who was coxswain of Nelson's barge. He was at Nelson's side at Naples and with him in many battles. He eventually became at a warrant officer in the Royal Navy and may have had later connections with Plymouth.

Any additional information would be most gratefully received.

Nelson's Coxwain & body sevant at the Battles of the Nile, Copenhagen & St Vincent was Thomas Allen a fellow Norfolk man.
He is buried at the Royal Maritme Museum at Greenwich.
He was not at Trafalgar with Nelson, Some learned historians, have been known to say that is why Nelson died. Thomas Allen insisted, that at those battles Nelson wore regular seamans dress, so as not to be conspicous. he did not do this at Trafalgar & was picked off by a sniper.

Post subject: A Converted Man
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:35 pm 

Many thanks Townshend and Tycho for your last posts. Also to Brian, Tony, and Devenish for your earlier insights.

I will bookmark this thread to return to and report on should any discoveries emerge from your contributions.

One other piece of information to add is that our 'noble-looking, tall seaman' became religious - a converted man no less.

I have no idea whether this will provide further avenues for research, but I shall certainly continue the hunt.

Thanks again.