Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:08 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:24 pm 

Belladonna's advice re writing to our various MPs is very helpful and I feel we should follow it, if we feel as strongly about this as it appears. My local MP is a Government back-bencher - very helpful - and I will also write to David Cameron and Lord (Alan) West, whom I know reasonably well. MPs for naval constituencies may also be inclined to help.

Perhaps we need to define our objectives in this approach before we all set quill to paper? I don't suggest we should have one letter composed by committee, but we each need to ask for the same thing, simply and clearly.

The key issue identified by Belladonna certainly gives enough reason for an EDM. This is of national interest and plays right into the currently live issues on education, cultcha, public accountability and the importance of maritime policy.

Justin
"Apoplectic of Oxford"

[color=#0000FF][b]Justin Reay FSA FRHistS
Naval and Maritime Art Historian[/b][/color]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:03 pm 

As far as writing to MPs is concerned, my own personal take on what I would want from the Department for Culture, Media and Sport is as follows.

As the National Maritime Museum is a publicly funded body, I believe the department responsible, the Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS), should be taking steps to ensure that the Museum meets its objectives, and meets the standards of public accountability required of a public body.

The DCMS should ensure the Museum meets its published objective in respect of its collections, specifically the Archive and Library collections, of “maximising access and inspiration for all users” in both the short term and the long term.

More specifically, for the period 2008 to 2011, the DCMS should take steps to ensure the Museum implements the strategic priority in its funding agreement with the Government “to maintain, during this project-rich and change period, a core public offer to the on-site and online visitor that is stimulating, enjoyable and offers opportunity for research and learning”. This agreed strategic priority makes it very plain that it is not acceptable to sacrifice core services in any significant way in return for future benefits (real or perceived) arising from development projects.

More specifically still, the DCMS should require the Museum to implement its own published Library Access Policy by opening the Library “for research purposes for a minimum of 40 hours per week” both now, and for the future.

In order to maximise access, any actions (such as moving collections) that involve withdrawing access to any part of the Archive and Library collections should be planned intelligently so that access is withdrawn only to that part of the collection that is genuinely inaccessible at any one time, and then for the minimum time possible. The DCMS should review the current plans and insist on the necessary changes to the plans to ensure this happens. Clearly, the DCMS should also ensure the plans allow researchers to work effectively by implementing reasonable numbers of document orders and document retrievals.

As regards public accountability, The DCMS should do two things. Firstly, insist that the Museum engages in proper consultation with users and potential users of the Caird Library about how to improve services, maximise access, and minimise disruption. (How can the Museum maximise access without consulting users on the access they are seeking?)

Secondly, the DCMS should review the decision making that has resulted in the Museum being diverted from its core objectives by the Olympics and by the wishes of a private individual who has donated money. This relates specifically to the decision to bring forward the start date of the building project which has directly resulted in the period of closure of access to the Manuscripts collection being extended from the originally planned two or three months to the currently planned five month closure. The Museum has publicly stated that the Olympics and the wishes of the private donor were factors in this decision. The DCMS should require the Museum to reverse this decision, or to alter its plans so that the strategic priority of maintaining core services to the public is not compromised in any way.

Of course, the MP would also need an explanation of the what the Museum is currently planning.

If it is of any help to anyone, with thanks to Tycho, the summary in the first post of this thread is now available for download as a Word document or PDF:

Word: http://www.nelsonandhisworld.co.uk/file ... vision.doc
PDF: http://www.nelsonandhisworld.co.uk/file ... vision.pdf

Feel free to use it whole or in part for any purpose, edited to reflect your own views

Post subject: £5 million to delve deeper into our maritime past
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:28 am 

Thank you once again for all this information. I shall be working my pen hard in support of the campaign to keep the Caird Library archives meaningfully open for the people now and in the future.

For those who are getting active about this travesty, it's also worth noting that the Sammy Ofer Wing project has received £5 million in funding from our very own Heritage Lottery Fund.

Here's a taster of the press release sent out recently. Note the priority given to the archives in the bid, and note the emphasis on 'opening up the archives' in the outcomes.

The devil is always in the detail, but '£5 million to delve deeper into our maritime past' I really don't know whether to laugh or cry!

Perhaps Carole Souter, HLF Chief Executive, should be appraised of this thread!

Quote:
£9million boost for Britain’s Roman and maritime World Heritage Site

6 October 2008

After considering applications seeking four times the amount of money available, the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) Board has decided to support two ambitious projects with funding totalling £9million*. The Vindolanda Trust will transform its presentation of the central section of Hadrian’s Wall in Northumberland, and the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich, London, will open up its world-class archive and create new state-of-the-art gallery and exhibition spaces.

Carole Souter, Chief Executive at HLF, said:

“These two exceptional projects were competing in a very tough batch and stood out for the quality of their proposals, management and the unique experiences they will provide. They won through after much debate and will open up two very different aspects of our heritage.

“Sadly, due to lack of funds, we were unable to support many of the other excellent projects requesting our help.” .........

£5 million to delve deeper into our maritime past

The National Maritime Museum in Greenwich, the largest museum of its kind in the world, houses an internationally important maritime archive. Its iconic buildings form part of the Maritime Greenwich World Heritage Site and the collections explain Britain's global influence through its explorers, traders, migrants and naval power.

The unique archive includes a wealth of original manuscripts and records of history’s great figures, such as Sir Francis Drake, Captain James Cook, Vice-Admiral Horatio Nelson and the great Polar explorers. There are accounts relating to the Transatlantic slave trade, the settlement of Australia and the Empire Windrush, as well ss Titanic memorabilia.

HLF’s award of £5million to the National Maritime Museum will help to display much more of this archive in new galleries and create an elegant and inviting entrance directly from Greenwich Park.

Dr Kevin Fewster, Director of the National Maritime Museum, said:

“Today’s wonderful news, building on Sammy Ofer’s donation, means we have reached 90% of our fundraising target. The project signals a new chapter in the way the National Maritime Museum relates to its surroundings and to its visitors, creating greater cohesion between all our venues and the rest of the Greenwich World Heritage Site.

“With the help of the Heritage Lottery Fund, we will be able to transform the experience we offer to the 1.7 million visitors from Britain and overseas who visit us each year. It will also help to put the Museum at the forefront of major exhibitions, both nationally and internationally.”

The HLF grant makes this vital redevelopment project possible, working alongside a donation of £20million from philanthropist, Sammy Ofer, and providing the perfect example of public and private money working together in partnership.

HLF’s Board of trustees also considered the following applications, but were unable to support them given the competition for funds:

* ‘Welcome to Kensington - a Palace for Everyone', Historic Royal Palaces - grant request: £4,967,000
* Royal Naval Museum Centenary Project, Portsmouth Historic Dockyard - grant request: £4,080,000
* ‘Big Ideas that Changed the World: The Silk Mill’, Derby Museums and Art Gallery - grant request: £4,900,000
* New Lanark Project Plan 2008-12, New Lanark Conservation Trust - grant request: £2,400,000
* ‘An Academy for 21st Century’, Royal West of England Academy - grant request: £2,900,000
* Black Country Living Landscape Community Involvement Project, The Wildlife Trust for Birmingham and The Black Country - grant request: £2,100,000
* ‘Lichfield InSpires’, Lichfield Cathedral – grant request: £5,000,000
* Black Trade Unionists' Oral History Project, Working Lives Research Institute (London Metropolitan University) - grant request: £637,500
* ‘Farmlife’, The Royal Entomological Society - grant request: £769,000
* Girlguiding UK Oral History Project, Girlguiding UK - grant request: £306,500
* ‘Lest We Forget: The Personal Histories of Our Nation's War Memorials’, UK National Inventory of War Memorials - grant request: £472,000

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:11 am 

It's just come to my attention, and I'd be more than happy to be corrected here, that many of the Caird Library's archives are already held off-site - away from the onsite storage area affected by the building works.

If these archives are not in transit anywhere, are currently available with systems in place to continue access and retrievals, why are they being withdrawn whilst the library remains open on the reduced hours service?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:31 am 

Quote:
If these archives are not in transit anywhere, are currently available with systems in place to continue access and retrievals, why are they being withdrawn whilst the library remains open on the reduced hours service?
I believe that question has been asked of the Museum privately without adequate response. It might be an idea to ask the question publicly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:06 pm 

Woland smells a wat.

If one had a secret business plan, withheld from the public, to cut the operational budget of the Caird Library by reducing the service, then it would be very convenient to invent some story about the whole manuscripts collection being inaccessible because it is packed up and in transit.

If one did not have such a plan, one might say so.

Post subject: More changes at the Caird
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:44 pm 

I received an email from Andrew Davis, Curator of Manuscripts at the Caird Library this afternoon, in response to an enquiry of mine about scanned mms. He provided a link to the latest changes regarding the availability of manuscripts, books, etc., at the library from the New Year.

Here's the link provided:

http://www.nmm.ac.uk/about/sammy-ofer-w ... ning-hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:48 pm 

The details of what is available at what notice is a bit confusing, but it looks like there is now some access to Manuscripts that are held on site during Jan & Feb, then no access to them until June (other than designated public records). They have removed the nonsense of barring access to manuscripts already held off-site and thus not being moved at all.

I don't understand why they are still only opening 20 hours per week all the way through to 2012. There is no explanation given or excuse made for that. For manuscripts (which will then be held off-site), the combination of short opening hours and the restricted retrievals will make any extensive research very difficult.

Why should they not implement their own stated policy of opening a minimum of 40 hours per week?

There is still no commitment on increased hours after the Sammy Ofer wing opens.

Note the comment about the collective response being vigorous, detailed and constructive! It's good that they are starting to listen, and I hope they might now engage in a proper consultation exercise. Whether they do or not, I think they might hear a lot more yet about opening hours.

Edit: Come to think of it - as packing of manuscripts does not start until March, why are opening hours being reduced at all in January and February?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:39 am 
Site Admin

I wrote to my MP, David Heathcote Amery, the member for Wells, just before Christmas expressing dismay at the handling of the closure of the Caird Library and enclosing Tony's excellent summary. He responded immediately, telling me that he had written to the Director, and yesterday forwarded the reply he had received from him.

I believe there are legal restrictions on making the details of private letters public; however, the Director does acknowledge, as he has done elsewhere, that they had underestimated the demand for access during the construction period, and apologised for the error. He also confirmed that the public will have access for three days a week from 2 January until 1 June 2009.

This is far from ideal but it is some improvement on the total closure originally planned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:19 pm 

I have posted my further comments in the thread announcing the online petition to the Prime Minister: http://www.nelsonandhisworld.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=309

If you just want to go straight to the petition, it is here: http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/caird-library/

Post subject: MP letter
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:13 pm 

I too wrote to my MP, Kitty Ussher, and have received an interim letter to say she has raised the matter with the Minister at the DCMS, and will write again as soon as she receives a response.

I'm also told that the latest issue of Private Eye (6th January) carries a report on the Caird Library closure and service reductions.

Has anyone here seen a copy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:27 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, I have seen Private Eye - stocked by our village Post Office/newsagents etc. - down yer in Zummerset. Haven't read the old rag for years. I suppose I'd be breaching copyright to reproduce their comment here but they do ask if the 'bosses of the Caird' had simply forgotten when they decided to shut down during building work that the documents they look after are actually used by researchers. PE also notes that the NMM have backtracked slightly though noting that the limited access will continue 'until the grand opening of the Sammy Ofer Wing, just in time to show off to, er, the Olympic equestrians due to descend on Greenwich Park.'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:55 pm 

Accidentally posted this twice - see below for the original post...

Last edited by fenshu kengru on Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:27 pm 

The NMM is now recruiting for a 'Development Coordinator' -

http://www.nmm.ac.uk/about/job-opportun ... -ordinator

The focus will be:

"The team is now focused on securing sponsorship for NMM’s forthcoming exhibitions and display programme, our learning and community initiatives, as well as seeking funding for conservation, acquisitions and publications.....

Looking ahead, Individual Giving will be the cornerstone of the next capital campaign to develop the South West Wing. This will provide a major new south entrance and foyer to the Museum from the Greenwich Royal Park; a new gallery for temporary exhibitions, a ‘treasures’ gallery; new archive storage; new public learning spaces; a new public café and restaurant, and ancillary spaces. The Development team will be at the heart of bringing this vision to fruition in 2011."

Core working week - 41 hours. Salary £16-£18k. Will any of those hours be used to raise funds for digitisation of the archives?

NB: Will the new cafe-restaurant will be limited to opening for 20 hours a week (plus one Saturday every month)?

2011? Ahead of schedule?

Post subject: Caird Blog questions
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:02 am 

As this still seems to be a major outstanding unknown, I have posted a few questions about future access and service levels at the Caird Library; regarding opening hours and retrievals in particular.

I sincerely hope that the management are able to answer these questions and clear up any concerns about future access to the library and archives.

There is usually a delay between submitting the copy and comments appearing on the blog, so I will post them here with the relevant Blog link.

Opening hours and service provision from 2 January:

http://www.nmm.ac.uk/library/

Quote:
Thank you for making some adjustments to the SW Wing project planning that will now reduce closure of access to manuscripts from 5 to 3 months, and will continue to offer limited access to manuscripts already held off-site and to designated public records. This will mitigate somewhat the severe impact on users who are currently engaged in work dependant on continued access to manuscripts. Thank you also for implementing your existing photographic policy and introducing an accessible and workable copying policy. All of the above is much appreciated.

There are, however, a number of important issues still extant that need to be clarified. These concern current and future access to the Caird Library and archives, and I hope that you will be kind enough to provide answers to the following few questions.

I cannot, from the information provided so far, understand why the current opening times of the Caird Library have been reduced to such an extent. Nor can I fathom, in the planning of such a high profile and expensive project, why there are no firm (or forecast) plans for opening times and levels of service at the Caird Library once the SW Wing development is completed.

I, and others concerned about future access to the Caird Library and archives, would be extremely grateful to receive clear and unequivocal answers to the following:

1. Why have the opening hours of the Caird Library been reduced firstly from 40 hours to 32 hours, and now to 20 hours per week (Tuesday to Thursday, plus one Saturday per month) - a level of service that is set to continue to at least Summer 2012?

2. What will be the Caird Library opening days and times from summer 2012 onwards?

3. You state that, from 2012, there will be more library retrievals than there are currently. What will the level of these retrievals be from 2012?

5. In view of your statement that "the Museum simply underestimated the ongoing demand for access to these collections during the construction programme", can you explain how you will address this oversight in the run up to 2012 and beyond? Can you confirm that your plans for the SW Wing development will be re-profiled to take account of this underestimation? And if so, what measures will be employed to improve and increase public access with regard to opening times and retrievals during the ongoing development, and after completion in 2012?

6. If you are unable to confirm (or provide a statement of intent) for the preceding questions, please could you explain why, as the develolpment is now underway, you are unable to do so?