Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:29 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:41 am 

Well, it would appear that it was actually Nelson himself who introduced the Christmas Tree to England in about 1800. You see he was on his return journey overland to England, when he met Haydn who... The full story is contained in an article entitled 'Christmas with the Nelson's 1806', which appeared in the Nelson Dispatch in January 2007.

And Mira, you are perceptive, since Nelson's Chelenk did manage to end up on the top of the Christmas tree!

I believe Tycho may have a copy of the article waiting for her in the post when she returns from Wales and I will make enquiries as to whether it could be reproduced here if there is sufficient interest.

Post subject: Christmas Sultanas at Merton
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:14 am 

Thanks Fiddler for your illuminating insight into Nelson's wardrobe in the Baltic. And Kester - I'd love to see your Nelson Dispatch Christmas feature!

The only record (other than Kester's!) of the seasonal festivities at Merton can be found at the Nelson Museum, Monmouth (E206.) As recalled - and dated to Christmas 1802 - in Kate Williams' 'England's Mistress'.

Here the dress code plays a big part in the celebrations.

As we might have guessed, the affair was theatrical and spectacular, and Emma Hamilton, as always, played the role of leading lady.

Emma's meticulous wardrobe notes, direct the scene thus:

Quote:
'The Favourite Sultana'

Her own costume: loose hair curling at the breast (a turban braided with strings of pearls - ready for a swift change of image - laid by behind the scenes), a circlet of diamonds for the forehead, and a long floor-length crepe or muslin shawl.

Brightly coloured twilled silk pantaloons with a coloured shift, the long sleeves tied behind her back. An outer gown, halved in two colours, and a jacket of shimmering satin. Glittering bracelets for the wrists and ankles, a long gold chain bearing a perfume flask (White Rose Tycho?) finished off by a pair of square toed Turkish slippers.

'The Favourite Sultana' was to be accompanied by her attendants, consisting of friends and family comandeered for the occasion. Nieces Catherine and Elizabeth Matcham, who would have been 10 and 7 respectively, were Moorish ladies, wearing long pantaloons, gowns striped in two colours, topped and tailed with embroidered slippers and veils.

Mrs Cadogan, her hair curled and pinned under a cap, took the role of a Grecian lady complete with long white gown and short jacket. A masked Negro Sultana in black dress, gold sandals and coloured turban wore a long veil, gold girdle and gold jewellery with a rainbow coloured train. Nelson's secretary at Naples John Tyson, accompanied Major Magra 'as magnificent as they can dress themselves; whiskers and no beards.'

Merton neighbours Mssrs. Blow, Cumyng and Jefferson became 'Moors of Quality' and the artist Thomas Baxter (whose drawings were to become the best visual record of Merton) along with other spare gentlemen, played slaves wearing Negro masks, sporting long, wide sleeves, shawls, and 'long pipes and bags.'

There is no record of instructions supplied by Emma for Nelson's costume. Even in the wake of Kamluks and checked surtouts, it's hard to imagine His Lordship sporting a pair of silk pantaloons and a turban... but then again... Sydney Smith was willing enough. Perhaps Emma well knew that the most colourful and impressive spectacle of all would be to issue the order: 'Come as you are.'

Well, if all this did take place at Merton in 1802, and Nelson would have been present then (although I'm not quite convinced yet about the date), it certainly sounds more energetic than a post-Christmas dinner game of charades.

Phew! Reading it is exhausting enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:49 am 

It's a shame to let a Christmas go by without a showing of "The Toast is Britain" - Fred Roe's classic depiction of Nelson at Fonthill Abbey at Christmas 1800.

By my reckoning Roe produced up to 20 drawings and paintings of Nelson related subjects.

"The Toast is Britain" was exhibited at the Royal Academy Exhibition of 1914.

What I didn't realise until recently is that the Wright's Coal Tar company stepped up and offered copies of the picture to the general public.

Their advert went as follows:
Quote:
The reproduction, mounted as it is on best plate paper, size 32in X 27in, is a most handsome picture, worthy to grace the walls of the most tasteful home. It will be sent FREE, securely packed, to users of WRIGHT's Coal Tar Soap who send 24 outside wrappers of the soap, together with 6d to cover postage.

I don't recall copies ever turning up at auction/ebay etc. Perhaps the requirement for 24 wrappers was a bit excessive!!

MB

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:47 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for the pic, Mark.

Isn't it interesting how artists who re-create an historical scene always manage to reveal (subconsciously?) a contemporary detail?

Mira will know better than I - but doesn't that hairstyle on the lady (Emma?) to Nelson's right, look distinctly Edwardian/early 20th century Georgian?

It's interesting, too, that a Nelson theme was chosen in 1914, just when Nelson was being appropriated as an inspiration in wartime - to cleanliness as well as patriotism. 24 wrappers!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:26 pm 

Tycho, Mark,

The picture it definitely has an Edwardian feel to it. I wonder how many pictures Wright's sent out although I imagine that, since the soap was presumably a common household item, the collecting of twenty four wrappers might not have been that difficult.

Caption:
Host to Lord Nelson, 'My Lord, the toast is 'Britain'.
Lord Nelson: 'It might be now but if the French, Heaven preserve us, should ever land on these shores, the words might very well be be the other way round.'

Since Mira has requested it, I'll post the article on Inside Nelson's World.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:31 pm 

invaluable.com lists a few copies that have come up for sale over the years: http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q= ... Britain%22 You can't see prices without a subscription.