Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:06 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Pen in the ear
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:41 pm 

In the Nicolas Edition 4, page 448 I found this letter some time ago. Does any one know what the expression -pen in the ear- means? I cannot make any sense of it.

To the reverend Henry Crowe, Burnham, Norfolk
Medusa, at sea, August 8th, 1801

My dear sir,

I felt such a pleasure in being remembered by an old Burnham friend, that it is impossible to describe what thoughts rushed into my mind. The remembrance of you from my very childhood, of your many acts of civilities and kindnesses to me and to my dear father, will always make it pleasant to me to attend to any recommendation of yours. The Riches I must remember if I recollect myself, and shall be very glad to be useful to the lieutenant; this is the first moment I heard of his being in our service. Raven and Howard both behave exceedingly well; I have directed their removal to the San Josef, where my flag will soon fly; Raven is literally as we say, his father’s own son; such a likeness in person and manner --pen in the ear-- I never saw. I beg, my dear sir, that you will present my very kindest respects to good Sir Mordaunt, and all your and his family, and beg you to believe me ever to be your obliged Servant.

Thank you Tony for explaining your knack to us. It works, I was looking for this letter a long time, in the wrong Nicolas (of course).

I wish every one a very good, healthy 2009 and may all your New Year’s wishes come true.

Sylvia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:49 pm 

Hi Sylvia,

I think this expression means the pen is tucked behind the ear to have it handy. A Raven family trait?

Peace to all, everywhere.

Gretchen

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:03 pm 
Site Admin

Sylvia:

as you know, I am very curious about language, and was intrigued by this phrase which I had never heard before. I have searched my bookshelves and peered into every language reference book on the shelves of Waterstone's in Bath yesterday, but to no avail. It seems from the context that the phrase means something like 'a chip off the old block', but its origin is a mystery...so far..... I will look further into this!