Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:33 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Sad News
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:04 pm 

For those who have not heard this news yet - unfortunately Colin White passed away on Christmas Day.

For anyone who has read his books, heard his talks, or knew Colin in any other way this is very sad news.

Such a knowledgeable and affable gentleman.

The following is taken from The Portsmouth News:

Quote:
Tributes have been paid to a leading Nelson expert and popular museum director who died of cancer on Christmas Day.

Colleagues are mourning Dr Colin White, who led the 200th anniversary celebrations of the Battle of Trafalgar in 2005 before becoming director of the Royal Naval Museum at Portsmouth's Historic Dockyard in 2006.

The 57-year-old of Southsea had been suffering from cancer but he was given a good prognosis in the summer of 2008 after he had a kidney removed.

But the cancer returned to his lungs. He was taken to the Rowans Hospice in Purbrook where he died 10 days later on December 25.

Dr White was described as 'larger than life' by friends and colleagues who said he'd be greatly missed by many.

Peter Goodship, chief executive of the Portsmouth Naval Base Property Trust, said: 'He was an extraordinary guy in so many different ways. Other academics may have vied with Colin for the title of the world's finest authority on Nelson but no-one could speak about our national hero with such commitment, passion and humour as Colin; no doubt assisted by his talent as an Shakespearean actor!

'He may regard as the pinnacle of his career the prominent role he played in organising the Trafalgar commemorations in 2005 for which, deservedly, he received the appointment of Honorary Captain, Royal Navy. It was a fitting tribute to someone who had devoted such a big part of his life to the study of Nelson.'

Graham Dobbin, deputy director at the Royal Naval Museum, said: 'He was a larger than life character. You always knew when Colin was in the building.

'Lots of people will miss him greatly. I'm contacting more than 200 people to let them know the funeral details and I know there will be many more than that.

'He brought energy to the museum, a sense of optimism, lots of ideas and a can-do attitude.'

Dr White's funeral and memorial service is planned at the Anglican Cathedral in Portsmouth on a date to be set.

MB

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:43 pm 
Site Admin

Several of us have paid our tributes to Colin on posts Inside Nelson's World but I'm glad you have made the sad news available to a wider audience, Mark. Colin's great learning was matched by an affable and engaging personality; he, along with his staff, made the Royal Naval Museum at Portsmouth such a friendly and welcoming place for visitors and researchers. And of course, he was the moving spirit behind the memorable commemoration of Trafalgar in 2005.

I am surprised that no obituary has appeared in The Times. I do hope the national press will pay a fitting tribute to Colin's great contribution to Nelsonian scholarship in the coming days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:18 pm 

What a great shock, and great loss.

As well as everything esle, he found time to make the occasional contribution to this forum, and he will be greatly missed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:32 pm 

The annus horribilis of 2008 had a final sting in its tail for all lovers of naval history, with the announcement of Colin's death. His illness caused him to miss many events and conferences in 2008 which would have been enlivened by his presence and graced by his knowledge.

He was helpful and friendly with anyone who has a passion for naval history, professional and amateur alike, and as perhaps the foremost scholar of Nelson's life and career shared his passion for his hero with a wide audience, which in many ways he helped to re-create in recent years.

I knew him personally and professionally and enjoyed our occasional good-humoured sparring - notably at the Trafalgar Dispatch lecture in 2005 when Guzzardi's immense portrait of Nelson behind me in the Admiralty Board Room drew his disapproving attention.

Colin was always generous with his knowledge, and quick to use his contacts and influence to benefit other historians, professional and amateur alike, and to ease our path to knowledge. I owe him a debt of gratitude for his thoughtfulness, encouragement and practical guidance.

My last meeting with him was a happy accident appropriately under the bows of Victory. His busy schedule, and latterly his illness, prevented our subsequent planned meeting, but even following serious surgery he found time recently to contact me with information which only he had, and which he knew I could use.

Colin's erudition will be much missed. I shall also mourn a friend and peerless felloow historian.

I undertstand that a memorial service is planned for early March.

Justin

[color=#0000FF][b]Justin Reay FSA FRHistS
Naval and Maritime Art Historian[/b][/color]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:56 pm 

You may care to read Colin's obituary in tomorrow's edition of The Times at:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/commen ... itted=true

Justin

[color=#0000FF][b]Justin Reay FSA FRHistS
Naval and Maritime Art Historian[/b][/color]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:50 am 

What terrible news this is.

I never had the pleasure or honour of meeting Colin White in person or attending one of his talks or lectures (a sad fact that must remain on the 'things I'd like to do' list forever.)

But his books, articles and broadcast appearances were always an unmitigated pleasure to experience.

He always came across as a lovely man whose great gifts and innate kindness - totally unburdened by ego or stuffiness - shone through in both the written and spoken word.

A great scholar and advocate, a wonderful communicator whose deep knowledge, effervescent enthusiasm and twinkling personality undoubtedly combined to inspire unprecedented and widespread interest in Nelson and his world.

He had so much still to offer in the field of Nelsonian studies, and as such leaves an enormous void. He will be greatly missed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:54 pm 

I have added a post to the thread in the private forum: http://www.nelsonandhisworld.co.uk/view ... =1694#1694 (members only).