Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:25 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Unknown Officer
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:27 pm 
Site Admin

The bidding for this item ends in an hour or two

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... SS:GB:1123

The fragments of information set me wondering if anyone can fill in the details of this obscure officer. No reason other than curiosity which I don't think I will describe as 'idle'. On the contrary: I am always intrigued by forgotten faces and stilled voices that suddenly emerge from the shadows to give us a glimpse or an echo of the vanished past.

Oh to find Sam Sutton on ebay............

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:12 pm 

Quote:
On the 9th of July [1808], at day-break, the 22-gun ship Porcupine, captain the hon. Henry Duncan, was lying becalmed off Monte Circello, on the coast of Romania, when two french gun-boats with a merchant vessel were seen passing along shore to the westward. The boats of the frigate, under the orders of lieutenant G. Price, assisted by several officers, and among them lieutenant James Renwick of the marines, were immediately sent in pursuit. After a pull of eight hours, the merchant vessel was driven ashore, and the gun-boats compelled to take shelter under the batteries of Port Dango. On the morning of the 10th a large polacre ship was observed lying at the entrance of the harbour; and as soon as it grew dark, the boats, commanded as before, were despatched to cut her out.

Although the polacre mounted 6 long six-pounders, with a crew of 25 men, expecting to be attacked was moored close to the beach lined with soldiers, and lay within pistol-shot of two batteries, and a tower and three gun-boats, she was gallantly boarded and carried. Owing to the light and baffling winds, it was an hour and twenty minutes before the prize was got beyond the range of grape; but she was at length safely brought out, with no greater loss than eight wounded, including lieutenant Price, severely.

On the 8th of August the Porcupine chased another polacre ship into a harbour in the island of Planosa, near Elba, which was defended by a tower and a battery. In the evening the boats under lieutenant Francis Smith, accompanied by lieutenant James Renwick of the marines, rowed into the harbour with muffled oars, and boarded the vessels without sustaining any loss. Notwithstanding the ship was moored within thirty yards of a battery mounting eight guns, which immediately opened on the boats a heavy fire of round and grape, and that they were also exposed to the musketry of several french soldiers on the beach, and one of the polacre's guns which had been landed for her defence, the vessel was safely brought out. She proved to be the Conception, mounting four guns, bound to the island of Cyprus from Genoa. This daring exploit was attended with the loss of that promising and gallant officer, lieutenant James Renwick of the marines, 1 seaman killed, and 7 men wounded.
Historical Record of the Royal Marine Forces, by Paul Harris Nicolas - 1845

Still time to bid...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:27 pm 

More detail in William James here: http://www.google.co.uk/books?id=PSUOAA ... zgSVzPi0BA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:47 pm 

Tony

Thanks for posting that info.

The first action was recognised for the Naval General Service Medal.

Officially described as:

10 July Boat Service 1808. Cutting out of the Spanish polacra N.S. del ROSARIO, off Port d'Anzio, south of Rome.

The NGSM was received by 8 men for their part in this action - all from the Porcupine.

Ironically the action in which Renwick died was not recognised for the NGSM.

MB

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:02 am 

I checked out the Trafalgar Roll - "just in case!"

But unfortunately no James Renwick to be found there.

MB

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:43 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks to you both for the lightning response.

I contacted the seller via ebay and passed on details of your research and suggested that the buyer might like to have them. I had a very nice reply and the information, which I hope will add to the pleasure of ownership, is now in the hands of the lucky buyer.