Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:23 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Portrait of Bounce
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:38 pm 

I am still reading the biography of Collingwood by Max Adams. He wrote that Bounce, (Collingwood’s dog) could have been a Newfoundland Dog. Unfortunately when Collingwood had one of his portraits made, Bounce was too old to join him.

I wonder is there a portrait known of Bounce? My previous dog was a Newfoundland and my future dog will be again. They are large, gentle hearted dogs and great, wonderful companions. Hence my interest in a picture of Bounce. I know the drawings that were made of Nelson’s dogs.
Sylvia

Post subject: Newfoundland dogs - a tribute
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:39 pm 
Site Admin

If Bounce was a Newfoundland, then he was a fine breed.

Here is the epitaph that Lord Byron had erected by the grave of his Newfoundland dog:

'Near this spot are deposited the remains of one who possessed Beauty without Vanity, Strength without Insolence, Courage without Ferocity, and all the Virtues of Man without his Vices. This praise, which would be unmeaning flattery if inscribed over human ashes, is but a just tribute to Boatswain, a dog.'

Boatswain was actually born in Newfoundland.

Can anyone confirm that it was a Newfoundland dog, owned by a fisherman, that kept Napoleon afloat when he fell overboard during his escape from Elba?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:17 pm 

Thank you so much for posting this beautiful epitaph written by Lord Byron. It describes exactly the character of a Newfoundland dog.

Here is a link to an article of a Newfoundland dog who was posthumously awarded the prestigious Dickin Medal, equivalent to the Victoria Cross given to soldiers of the British Commonwealth for their acts of bravery.

http://www.stemnet.nf.ca/CITE/newfoundl ... r_hero.htm

Sylvia