Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:58 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Intriguing part of a letter
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:19 pm 

In the Nicolas Edition, volume 5, page 198 I found this letter written by Nelson.

To his excellency Hugh Elliot, esq

Victory, off Toulon, September 8th, 1803

My dear Sir,

I had a letter lately from Lady Hamilton, wherein she says Abatello Sabitino denies having Julia’s money. He had near seventy pounds in money and valuables belonging to her, and now he refuses to pay her. Now, I know that Julia said in my presence, that Sabitino had taken her money, etc. and if he does not return it, I desire to withdraw my character of him, and so does Lady Hamilton; for he may serve others in the same manner, therefore, in behalf of a poor, injured woman, who he know he otherwise injured, I beg you will speak to him, and if he does not instantly pay the money to you to be sent home, Lady Hamilton desires not to be considered as recommending him, and I do the same; for I cannot bear such a monster of ingratitude.

This is only a part of the letter I mentioned, but I find it very intriguing. Does any of you know more about this story?

Sylvia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:44 pm 
Site Admin

Sylvia:

I had been racking my brains to recall a reference to Julia and now I have remembered.

In Lady Hamilton's last letter to Nelson, written on 8th October 1805, and which he was destined never to read, she mentions Julia, obviously a servant:

'Our Julia is very ill yet, but not brought to bed, as she is only seven months. I do not mean to keep her after she gets well.....The other day [Horatia] said at table, 'Mrs Candogging [Mrs Cadogan], I wonder Julia did not run out of the church when she went to be married, for I should, seeing my squinting husband come in, for, my God! How ugly he is, and how he looks cross-eyed; why, as my lady says, he looks two ways for Sunday'.

I wonder if Julia's husband was the Abatello Sabatini who had stolen her money and 'otherwise injured' her? Nelson asks Emma to 'speak to him'. Maybe she suggested he should do the honourable thing and marry Julia.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:02 pm 

Thank you Tycho, for taking the trouble looking up the information. It is much appreciated. I wonder if there are more anecdotes known about Nelson’s servants.
Sylvia