Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:20 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Reference for Nelson Anecdote
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:39 pm 
Site Admin

Can anyone help me locate a source for a charming anecdote? I had a feeling it was in Walter Sichel's biography of Emma Hamilton but I can't find it there now. I have come across this story only once, despite having read many biographies of Nelson.

Nelson was visiting Swansea where a seaman who had served under him was landlord of the 'Plume of Feathers'. As Nelson stepped into (or out of?) his carriage, the man blew his bosun's pipe. Nelson's head immediately spun round and he cried, 'That's Tom Cleeve's pipe, by Jove!', and a happy reunion was the result.

Do bosuns each have their own distinctive, identifiable sound, or was it a gift of Nelson's to identify Cleeve's call, like having perfect pitch?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:43 pm 

Nelson and the Hamiltons on Tour, Edward Gill:

"... Cleaves jostled and elbowed his way through a sea of bodies to a position near the carriage carrying Nelson. Taking his old boatswain's pipe from his pocket he put it to his lips, and blew three high-pitched and very distinctive blasts. At this Nelson sprang from his seat, and scanning the crowd cried, 'It's Tom Cleaves' whistle by God.' The carriages were immediately ordered to stop, and the people of Swansea witnessed an emotional reunion between the Admiral and the veteran bosun. "

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:32 pm 
Site Admin

Many thanks for that, Tony. I have now ordered Gill's book from abebooks; but the version I remember is lurking on my shelves somewhere!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:41 pm 

Google Books also brings it up for 'Nelson's Way: Leadership Lessons from the Great Commander', Stephanie Jones, Jonathan Gosling, Page 161

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:10 pm 
Site Admin

Now I do have that! Thanks, Tony.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:38 am 

Tycho,

Quite possibly the calls might have had slightly different sounds, due to the nature of their manufacture although, again quite possibly, the same might have been achieved by individual bosun's or bosun's mates 'tuning' them to make a distinctive signature. (The latter point is really speculation on my part!)

However, it would seem more likely that Nelson picked up on Tom Cleeve's 'pipe' because he was familiar with the way Cleeve blew it, ie. that he had a distinctive way of doing so.

Incidentally, the instrument itself is technically known as a 'call', a 'pipe' is the sound, or orders, given by it - although as we see the three words 'call', 'pipe' and 'whistle' are all used indiscriminantly!

I used to use one when I was in the Sea Scouts long ago!

Kester

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:05 am 
Site Admin

Devenish,

thank you for that clarification - I'd heard both terms and wasn't sure which was which.

A bosun's call is a difficult instrument to master, I think. My husband acquired one, with instructions, for our Trafalgar Day dinner in 2005. He managed 'Still' to get everyone quiet for the speeches, but his face was a smart colour!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:27 am 

Tycho,

They do need a lot of practice to get the note right! I remember we regularly piped the 'still' and the 'carry on', and of course 'piped the side' whenever a V.I.P visited. One of them was the RN inspecting officer on his annual visit to the Troop, as we were an Admiralty recognised group. He certainly would have frowned if it was 'off.' There are of course several other 'pipes', used in the navy, although we didn't use them.

Incidentally, I would have imagined that Tom Cleave, and apologies for mispelling his name, might have given some people standing nearby something of a shock when he blew his call. As you probably know it has quite a shrill sound, designed as it is for passing orders in a gale and over the noise of the ship's rigging!

Kester