Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Newly discovered (?) Nelson documents for auction
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:25 am 

I came across this report of documents which will be sold by Christie's next month.

I am not 100% certain these are "newly discovered" as Morrison had some household accounts of Nelson and the Hamiltons in his collection.

I am sure additional information will be forthcoming in the next couple of weeks.

Will be fascinating to follow the auction and ONCE AGAIN I am sure these items will far exceed their auction estimate.

Quote:
Newly discovered documents belonging to British Flag Officer Horatio Nelson have shown that he had shared the expenses spent on his mistress with her husband while all three were staying together.

Lord Nelson, who fell in love with Sir William Hamiltons wife Lady Hamilton during the Napoleonic Wars in Naples, invited both to live with him.

The move with his younger wife Emma, Lady Hamilton, into the celebrated admirals house in Merton, south London, in 1801 made Sir William Hamilton become one the most famous cuckolds in British history.

Now records have been recovered that show that not only did the two men share a lover, they also equally shared expenses to cover the huge sums necessary to meet Lady Hamiltons expensive tastes.

A set of 16 household accounts covering the period of the unusual domestic arrangement, which is up for auction next month, show that Lord Nelson and Sir William split many bills evenly.

They paid out up to 156 pounds 4s 4d a week around 11,000 pounds in todays money to local tradesmen for treats such as fresh meat, fish and oysters, to which Lady Hamilton was particularly partial.

The accounts, some of which include calculations in Lord Nelson's hand, also detail payments to household staff, including wages of 2 pounds 13s 9d to maid Phillis Thorpe for more than three months' work.

Thats only about one-third of the amount they forked out for fish in a single week, the Telegraph quoted Dr. Thomas Venning, a manuscripts expert at Christie's, which is selling the documents, as saying.

These accounts provide a valuable insight into life in England just before Trafalgar, he added.

The weekly accounts, signed by both Lord Nelson and Sir William's steward Francis White, are expected to fetch up to 9,000 pounds at Christie's in London on June 3.

MB

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:35 am 

Details of this lot are now up on the Cristie's website.

http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/lot_ ... e0de31e9f2

Can anyone confirm if these are the same accounts published in Morrison's "Hamilton & Nelson Papers"??

MB

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:17 pm 

Mark,

Yes, they're the same accounts featured in Morrison Vol II, Appendix D.

It will certainly be interesting to see what they fetch.

The Telegraph preview was highly amusing - they've certainly caught the bug for going through personal expenses with a fine-tooth comb and reporting the worst excesses. Lucky for Nelson and the Hamiltons that these receipts date back a couple of hundred years, and they aren't around to experience the fallout.

On a more sedate note than the Telegraph's take, the expenses for the period covered by the Morrison/Christie's documents average out at around £50 a week, exceeding £100 twice over 16 weeks. Obviously they didn't go short - but not quite in the same universe as the Prince of Wales' set for example.

Neither am I so sure that fresh meat, fish (and oysters - cheap eating at the time - unlike turtle soup) would be considered as treats in a gentleman's residence housing two (often extended) families and a well-stocked supply of servants. All those fish though - it makes me wonder whether Sir William's angling prowess might have deserted him by then.

And as for keeping up with Emma's tastes. Goodness, did she eat all that stuff herself while the rest starved?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:04 pm 

I suppose after recent revalations of bankers' pensions and MPs' expenses, I shouldn't still be so shocked at the disparity between rich and poor two hundred years ago. But never mind the poor maid's pay, the disparity between rich and middling is still pretty staggering. Compare expenditure of £50 per week with the discussion of MacNamara's half pay in this thread.

But then Emma was eating for two some of the time...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:38 pm 
Site Admin

It is also worth reflecting that 'Poor Phyllis' would have been considered fortunate by those even further down the social scale. A servant in a household's like Nelson's would, in addition to her £2 and a few pence every three months, have accommodation and three meals a day supplied. Probably her clothes would have been supplied too. I was astonished when I visited the mews at Raby Castle in Northumberland to see the quality of the 18th century coachman's livery. Of course, it was a uniform that identified him as his master's servant, but the quality of the tailoring was staggering: the coat had clearly been made by his master's tailor, and was identical both in the quality of materials and the workmanship to those made for the gentlemen of the household.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:05 pm 

Quote:
Yes, they're the same accounts featured in Morrison Vol II, Appendix D.

Thanks

I thought there would have been a bit more of a kerfuffle if this was a brand new discovery!!

Do we know where these documents have been since Morrison owned them?

MB

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:17 pm 
Site Admin

Mark:

it would appear that the collection was dispersed when Morrison's widow sold it at auction in 1917. The Hamilton-Nelson papers formed only a small part of the total number of manuscripts amassed by Morrison.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.h ... 946696D6CF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:46 pm 
Site Admin

A slight digression here about 18th century grandeur for those at the top end: I've just read an article by the architectural historian, Roger White, about Nelson's kinsman, Sir Robert Walpole, who was notorious for graft and corruption, and saw 'no practical boundary between the national budget and his own financial needs.' He built the monumental Houghton Hall in Norfolk and 'felt free to divert funds from the public purse to pay the bills.' He was careful to destroy the paper evidence of his expenditure but one surviving bill suggests its staggering scale...£1200 (equivalent to about £112,000 today) - on the trimmings of the state bed alone.

Things don't change, it seems!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:54 pm 

There were 3 "Nelson" lots sold by Christie's in this sale.

No spectacular amounts realised - one was at lower end of estimate range, one in the middle, and one a little above.

Lot 35

Lot 36

Lot 37

MB

Profile E-mail