Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Nelson memorials
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 11:53 am 

Those of you involved in family history research probably already know about the magazine Ancestors, which is published by The National Archives at Kew (that wonderful enlightened body which allows photography of their archives!!). It's actually a magazine worth reading by anyone interested in history, as there is such a range of articles. Roy and I have an article in the May 2009 issue on Nelson memorials, highlighting a few of the monuments that were erected to him, such as the Great Yarmouth column.

In the further reading section, we had room to cite just two relevant books: Jane Smith's The Story of Nelson's Portsmouth (Halsgrove 2005) and Leo Marriott's What's left of Nelson (Dial House 1995). They give a good selection of Nelson-related sites and monuments.

Lesley

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:25 am 
Site Admin

Many thanks for those details, Lesley. More information about how to obtain the magazine Ancestors here:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/shop/ancestors.htm

Perhaps I might start a thread one day with pictures of memorials to other heroes of Nelson's Navy. I took a photo recently of Edward Berry's memorial in Bath, and have just bought a little picture of Ball's memorial in Malta.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:24 am 

There is now a dedicated website for the magazine Ancestors, which you can see here:

http://www.ancestorsmagazine.co.uk/

There are often articles relevant to those visiting this forum, such as naval and maritime features and of course much on family history research. Many of the back issues are now available online free-of-charge.

Lesley

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:57 pm 

Hi All,
Anyone with an interest in memorials to Nelson's circle may be interested in a memorial to Thomas Foley (1759-1833) in Llangathen Church, Carmarthenshire.
Those puzzled by its location will be interested to know that Foley's mother was a Sarah nee Herbert and the family seat was at Court Henry, Llangathen.
Thomas Foley purchased the Abermarlis Estate and Manor near Llangadog, from Sir Cornwallis Maude, Viscount Harwarden in 1795 and fell in love with the property. He intended to call the Manor, Copenhagen after his involvment in the engagement, but his wife thought otherwise and it was named Abermarlis, after connections with Robert Burns.
Sadly the propety in this beautiful part of the Twyi Valley was demolished many years ago, and is now a Caravan Park!! :(

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:00 pm 

Hi Anna,
Would be interested to know which of Ball's memorials you may have purchased as a photograph?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:55 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Stephen,

it was the memorial on classical lines:

http://www.mbracepics.nl/Foto%27s/2008% ... nument.JPG

The picture I bought is a postcard but the image looks like a hand painted one, rather than a photograph.

The memorial in the photograph on the link appears to be in good repair. Is this so? Is it just the tomb that is in a bad state?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:44 pm 

Stephen/Anna,

As I mentioned before, would it not be possible to move Alexander Ball's remains here? It would seem suitable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:32 pm 

There is much to do before a reinternment if one is to get this right so as not to offend anyone and that will include Abercrombie as the plan is at the moment. The monument at the Lower Baracca, Vallatta, has crossed my mind for years, but Malta moves in a different way! from the best of intentions, and from the best of us. There is much involved. 8)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:40 pm 

I will be relating any progress on this subject on Sir Alexander John Ball to the original posting from now on, and any information on thistheme will be gratefuly acknowledged.
If anyone would like a translation from his Latin inscription on the grave stone into English, then I would be delighted to do so. :)

Profile E-mail