Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:02 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Widescreen Problem
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:38 am 
Site Admin

Last night, I noticed that the 'Ferguson' thread had gone 'widescreen' which made reading it a problem. My screen has righted itself this morning, though another forum member is still having a problem. Are others experiencing it too? If so, can anyone suggest a solution please?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:01 pm 

Hi Anna,

The member you referred to who was having problems, me, reports that the format is now back to normal size on the Ferguson thread, but only I think because Mark has opened page 2! :D Page 1 would still appear to have the widescreen format, which will only seemingly be a problem if any one wants to refer back to an earlier post. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:49 pm 

First off I think this may only be an Internet Explorer issue.

On my PC it looks fine in Firefox browser but in IE the screen has gone "wide".

Kester - Im 99% certain it will be down to those couple of long "links" you have used. I think that instead of doing a line break and wrapping them onto the next line the browser software is forcing the page width out sideways.

I can take you through a fix that I think would work.

Do you want to try that?

But it's a bit of a pain if it continues to happen in the future. I wonder if something changed or if this glitch has always been there.

MB

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:38 pm 

Hi Mark,

You could be right, perhaps it was the google books link that did it. I don't understand why it didn't make the break in the line.

I actually normally use Safari (and a Mac computer, though that probably won't make any difference) and have stopped using IE some while ago.
As I said the problem seems to have rectified itself on page 2, and it was in any case only on the Ferguson thread, for some strange reason.

Perhaps I should switch to Firefox, which my wife generally uses (on her Mac computer) and she says that I should do the same! :roll: I did look up page 1 of the thread using Firefox and it appeared normal.

Thanks for the offer, and I will take you up on it, if the problem returns! :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:47 pm 

Hello Anna, Mark and Kester,

When I read the Ferguson thread this afternoon, I have widscreen too.

Sylvia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:16 pm 

Hi Sylvia,

Which browser are you using, and is it just page 1 on the Ferguson thread that's affected, as with me?

Anna/Mark,

Perhaps I should remove the links, since presumably everyone's read them by now, and it may return the page to normal. We might also be wary of the google book links.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:24 pm 

Hello Kester,

Only page one of the Ferguson thread is widescreen, page two is normal a seize.

I am not sure if this is a browser, I am sorry for being such computer illiterate, I think it is Google. I always start in Google. I am sorry if this turns out to be a silly answer.
Sylvia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:20 am 

Anna,

I have just notice that the widescreen problem also seems to be apparent on the biographies thread, at least on my computer, under the information forum. Interestingly this also seems to have occurred in a google books link which does not appear to have divided onto another line. I believe Mark is right and that this is where the problem lies, at least using my browser. There would seem no problem using Firefox, where it divides into two lines. However there does seem to be something about the Google books links, which Safari doesn't like and which causes this problem. Which browser were you using at the time? Perhaps I should move to Firefox (and out of the Dark Ages, as my wife would say!)

Mark,

Would reposting the links, using Firefox help?

Sylvia,

No, not silly Sylvia, as I'm a duffer when it comes to computers (as you can see!). It would seem as though some browsers pick up on it and others (seemingly Firefox among them) that don't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:16 pm 

Quote:
Mark,

Would reposting the links, using Firefox help?

Can't be sure Kester - you would have to try that on trial & error basis.

Guaranteed way to fix these 2 posts is as follows.

Click on the edit button and change the link to read as follows:

[ url=http://booksetc.etc.]Click Here[/url]

But don't put the space after the first square bracket - I had to put that in to stop it becoming a link.

Here is your first link redone that way - it should work in all browsers and not cause the wide screen problem.

Click here

(If you get in any real trouble I can go in and sort it out - would just need you to change your password to something I could use on a temporary basis.)

MB

Profile E-mail