Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:09 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Spies and Subterfuge
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:36 am 
Site Admin

Has anything been written about spies and subterfuge during the Napoleonic Wars? I ask because I have just read a book about British use of 'disinformation' and deception during WW2 and wondered how far back this questionable flair went. I also note in the 18th century book, 'The Gentleman's Instructor' that there are some hints on secret writing ('dip your pen in the juice of a lemon, or of an onion, or in your own urine or spirits of vitriol, write on clean paper whatever you intend, it shall not be discerned until you hold it to the fire and then it will appear legible.')

Are there any stories, anecdotes or histories of successful naval ruses, tricks, codes, spies or subterfuge?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:36 am 

I know there is "Wellington's Spies" by Mary McGrigor - but I think this is restricted to spies/intelligence gathering during the Peninsula War.

See also:
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/spie ... efault.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:04 pm 

There is also 'Most Secret and Confidential: Intelligence in the Age of Nelson' by Steven E. Maffeo, which includes something on Nelson's use of secret intelligence - but I haven't read it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:26 am 

Anna,

I can't answer your specific question, however, I would imagine that the spreading of disinformation and deception goes back in history as far as you care to look, in one form or another.

As to 'questionable flair', isn't there a phrase, 'all's fair in love and war'? - although I'm specifically referring to the last word here - obviously!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:02 am 
Site Admin

Many thanks, all, for the pointers.

I had a quick look on Amazon and Abebooks for Stephen Maffeo's book but no mention (or price). Another book of his called 'Sink, Burn or Destroy' or something like that, is v. expensive.

There must have been quite a lot of spying in Nelson's time as there was a fund for paying those who acted in secrecy. One of the (specious) arguments for not rewarding Emma for her efforts in Naples in copying the secret letter to King Ferdinand from his brother etc. was that they were no longer secret!

Re: 'questionable'. I've just read 'Churchill's Wizards' about subterfuge and deception in WW 1&2 - not a terribly good book, but with some interesting passages - and the supposed English genius for underhandedness and trickery in war - perfidious Albion and all that. However, the French and Germans were also pretty adept. 'Camouflage', after all, is a French word. I just thought that all this trickery contradicted the image of the upright gentleman, 'playing a straight bat' etc. and wondered how far back it went, and whether anyone had made a detailed study.

One of the things I recall from my PRO days was the teaching of techniques to airmen by a conjuror such as how to 'palm' objects like compasses from one man to another - useful in a POW camp. They also had buttons on their uniforms with flick-off tops that concealed compasses, and detailed, silk maps of Germany rolled up and sewn into the seams of their jacket sleeves. Off the point again. Sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:12 am 

As far as subterfuge is concerned, little can compare with Duncan's massive bluff off the Texel in 1797. Knowing a little of his history, I doubt he played poker, but if he had...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:13 am 
Site Admin

Sounds good! Can you expand, or point us to a reference please?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:14 am 

Anna,

Your being 'off the point' is interesting though!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:32 am 

Anna, Steven Maffeo's book is available on Amazon Marketplace, starting at £10.49: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listin ... 260&sr=1-1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:55 am 

The classic book is by Elizabeth Sparrow, called Secret Service: British Agents in France 1792-1815, published in Woodbridge in 1999. My copy is hiding on the bookshelves, and I can't remember the publisher, but very regrettably they never published it in paperback, even though the book is much sought after!

Lesley Adkins

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:19 pm 
Site Admin

Hang on to your copy, Lesley! Cheapest on abebooks - £100! I'll try the library for that one, I think. And thanks, Tony, for the heads up on Maffeo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:21 am 
Site Admin

I've now got a copy of Stephen Maffeo's book, which promises to be a great read.

I've posted a link 'Inside Nelson's World' to an article in The Times by Ben Macintyre on the flair of the British for using lies and subterfuge as weapons of war in more recent conflicts. :oops:

Post subject: Re: Spies and Subterfuge
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:43 pm 
Site Admin

I wonder if we might explore subterfuge in the face of the enemy as well as the trickery of spies.

Flying under false colours was one acceptable ruse. I came across another one in James Anthony Gardner's recollections which I've quoted from elsewhere. He recounts that a British ship, pursued by a French ship, tricked the enemy '... by fixing a pole on a tub with a lantern on the top, and steering another course in the night, escaped.'

'All's fair in love and war,' the old saying goes; but some trickery was not acceptable, such as resuming action once one had struck. Were there other tricks that were regarded as flouting the rules of war? Or any that were regarded as cheeky but tolerable?

Post subject: Re: Spies and Subterfuge
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:49 am 
Site Admin

In times past, The Times newspaper had a regular column of 'Ship News' that gave the movements of shipping in and out of port, together with other snippets about actions and events. This interesting item appeared on 29 June 1794:

it records that the The Cock chaffer lugger arrived in Portsmouth with dispatches from Guernsey for the Admiralty which were forwarded by express. They contained 'intelligence on several men of war and frigates in the Bay of Concale. The Cock-chaffer went into that harbour under French colours (my emphasis) and took an accurate survey of the harbour, ships etc. and came out unmolested.'

At that point the ship hoisted British colours which were seen by the French who gave chase - to no avail.

It must have demanded a cool head and some nerve, I think, to undertake this venture.