Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Nelson's brother Suckling
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:03 am 

I am still reading the Nicolas edition, volume 2, now and then. Nelson wrote frequently letters to his brothers Maurice and William but hardly a letter to Suckling, who was still alive then. He seems to be a kind of shadowy figure, unlike “unpleasant” William.

I wonder how Nelson’s relationship with his brother Suckling?
Sylvia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:45 pm 
Site Admin

Yes: Suckling is rather a shadowy figure. He was, in his early life, rather feckless, a drunkard, constantly short of money, and unable to settle to any profession.

Nelson - who had a low tolerance of drunkards - had little patience with him: 'He will...never become respectable,' he wrote in a letter to his father (19 August 1796), 'If he has again taken to drink, the more he drinks the better. It will the sooner finish his disgrace, and the part we must all bear in it.' But despite his harsh tone, Nelson continued to support him to lessen the drain on his father.

Eventually, Suckling became a clergyman and his father's curate, but died young.

A book by M. Eyre Matcham, a descendant of Nelson's sister, Catherine, quotes many expressions of anxiety about him in the family, and mentions a failed romance.

'Suckling yr Bro is as usual slow in communication...the Love business is all ended. The Lady was Coy, and He not very warm in the affair.' (letter from Rev. Edmund Nelson to Catherine, 16 September 1796.) He mentions the failed romance again on October 8th, 'The Miss was coy, or had more prudence than to marry a man without an Income. However, all parties are quite easy'.

However, Suckling improves and Edmund writes a little later 'Suckling behaves well and kindly....My hopes are still kept up...that his former errors will be reclaimed. Not only his person, allowing for differences, but also his neatness and taciturnity, calls to my remembrance your dear sister who is gone before to a Place of happiness'.

Eyre Matcham describes him as 'taciturn, good-natured, fond of sport and indolent, yet ready to be influenced for good...'

In a letter dated 23 August 1796, Edmund writes: 'Suckling's silent and reserved temper, renders it difficult to discover the real Sentiments of his mind. He is in Good Health and has the appearance of a sober, well-behaved man; is by no means deficient in his professionall [sic] duty, and I believe is well with the farmers'.