Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: This picture got me wondering . . .
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:38 pm 

The picture on the cover of this I-Spy book from the 1970's shows a man perched on top of Nelson's hat atop Nelson's Column.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... SS:GB:1123

I assume it is a genuine photo??!!

There seems to be scaffolding high up round the statue so this must have been a quite major restoration project rather than just routine cleaning.

If so which year was it?

And I wonder how this character got permission to sit on Nelson's hat just for the cover of a book!

MB

Perhaps it is a doctored photo. If you think so please put me out of my misery.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:00 am 
Site Admin

I can't make any comment on the picture on the I-spy book, but this link says that major restorations took place in 1968, 1986 and 2006.

There are some excellent pictures which I think are of great interest even if they don't answer your specific question, Mark.

http://www.london.gov.uk/trafalgarsquar ... nelson.jsp

PS - I'm surprised the I-Spy book hasn't been banned under 'Health and Safety': no 'hard hat'!

Last edited by tycho on Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:06 am 

Mark, Anna,

Yes, you're right. Apparently there have been only three major restorations of Nelson's Column since 1843. The last was in 2006, before that was 1986 and - 1968, which would fit nicely with the publication of your I-Spy book. So it may just be true that the cover has not been photoshopped!

In passing, quite a few people have been up there during the restorations. I believe a ballet and some flamenco dancers, amongst others, posed for photographs around the base of the statue in 2006. So a man with a telescope, sitting on the hat perhaps doesn't seem so far fetched in 1968.

Your I-Spy book brought back a few memories!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:52 am 

Right!

Thank you!!

It has to be the restoration in 1968 then - doesn't it!!!

The reason I said 1970's was because of the "decimal currency" price on the book. But obviously the photograph was taken a few years earlier.

I had wondered initially if this was the occasion when John Noakes (of Blue Peter) climbed the column - but there was no scaffolding then so it seemed unlikely.

As an aside here is a very brief video clip of John Noakes during his ascent of the column.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/classic/bluep ... deo3.shtml

I have put a bid on this book. If I get it it will go with my little collection of "slightly-off-the-wall Nelson-related ephemera".

MB

P.S. If you ever take the "ladder route" up Nelson's Column be sure to take JN's advice and have a break half way up! :D :D :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:29 am 

One satisfied customer! :D

Thanks for the clip Mark. I vaguely remember watching it at the time, yes, I was a Blue Peter viewer back then!

However as Anna said, I would imagine Health and Safety would have had kittens today – no helmet and no safety rope, although he did have his trusty khaki jacket – and didn't bring 'Shep'! I don't remember if H§S was around then, or I would imagine they would have followed the rules since it was a children's programme.

Actually, I think the nearest I might get to His Lordship, would be the top of the steps. Even then I might have to have a break half-way up!

And shouldn't this one be the 'slightly-up-the-column-Nelson-related-ephemera? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:06 am 

Kester

Quote:
And shouldn't this one be the 'slightly-up-the-column-Nelson-related-ephemera?

You are quite right. I will open a sub-sub-section of the afore-mentioned sub-section of Le Musee Barrett.

It will be quite a small sub-sub-section to start with but hopefully will grow with time!! :D :D

MB

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:28 pm 

Mark, to get your collection growing (taller, I presume), your next assignment is to find a photo of the statue from the morning of 10 May 1953 when a Jolly Roger was found tied around Nelson's head.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:27 pm 

Here is a Pathe film clip of Nelson getting a good scrub. It was released in 1969, but I'm guessing this was the 1968 restoration. Someone gives Nelson a kiss on the lips right at the end.

And here's a photo of the 2003 parachutist jumping off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:56 pm 

Quote:
It was released in 1969, but I'm guessing this was the 1968 restoration.

Tony

I'm sure you are right. I don't think they would have put up that level of scaffolding in two consecutive years - imagine the cost!

I haven't turned up a picture of the Jolly Roger affair yet - just the little report from the Times.

But I haven't given up hope yet!!

As regards the Jolly Roger and the Dalai Lama - what an incredible project it would make to list and analyse all the various protests that have taken place in and around Trafalgar Square over the years.

On that subject I am sure I read once that the layout of the Square and the route to Parliament were both surreptitiously changed many years back. There was a concern that a mob could assemble in Trafalgar Square and descend on Parliament.

Now there's a thought!! I'm sure we could make a decent fist of running the country. Bags I be "the minister for learning from history and not repeating the mistakes of the past." No salary required.

MB

P.S. Having seen the Pathe News film it confirms what an iron nerve that character sitting on Nelson's hat must have had.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:02 am 

Mark,

The only problem with that is, I have a suspicion that after a few years other people will probably be demanding a change in their politicians, since they've fallen into the same rut as the previous ones! Except for the 'Minister for learning from history and not repeating the mistakes of the past' of course!

P.S. to your P.S. Well at least the man sitting on Nelson's hat would have had an area of planking to land on (hopefully)!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:03 am 

Quote:
I have a suspicion that after a few years other people will probably be demanding a change in their politicians, since they've fallen into the same rut as the previous ones!

Kester

This will be politics with a difference.

You are welcome to join the cabinet as "Minister for Common Sense."

I am also looking for a "Minister for letting children take the occasional risk as bruised elbows and scratched knees never did us any harm."

The doctrines of Smith, Malthus, Marx and Keynes will be replaced by "the Piggy Bank theory of Economics" i.e. take less out than you put in and save something for a rainy day.

There will be a "Department of FITNESS and Health". Sold off playing fields will not be a problem. We will just build upwards with a nationwide network of Ganges style masts. I am thinking of mandating that people's pay cheques and benefits payments can only be collected from the button at the top of the mast - but that may be just too draconian for now! :D :D

Anyway that's at least half the country's problems sorted - so time for my first cuppa of the day!!

MB

P.S. The country's manufacturing base will be given a kick start by the ordering of thousands of sets of stocks - one for each town centre in the land.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:19 am 

Okay then Mark,

The other half of the UK's problems this afternoon, tomorrow the world's! :D