Post subject: Nelson & Victory set to save Britain again
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:17 pm 

Click Here

MB

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Nelson & Victory set to save Britain again
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:58 am 

Mark Barrett wrote:

For a moment I thought it was semi serious Mark.....................started seeing the red mist!! :D
Good spoof, good spoof!!!!!
Robbie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:21 am 

Robbie

With all the shenanigans going on in the country at the moment - quite easy to believe that it could be true.

Maybe it's a "double bluff". i.e. the story gets posted on the internet as a spoof - just to to soften us up for when they tell us it really IS going to be sold to the yanks!! :wink:

I'd believe anything of this shower!

Roll on the march of the people down Whitehall . . . . . !!

MB

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:06 pm 

Mark Barrett wrote:
Robbie

With all the shenanigans going on in the country at the moment - quite easy to believe that it could be true.

Maybe it's a "double bluff". i.e. the story gets posted on the internet as a spoof - just to to soften us up for when they tell us it really IS going to be sold to the yanks!! :wink:

I'd believe anything of this shower!

Roll on the march of the people down Whitehall . . . . . !!

MB

Hi Mark,
Yes your quite right its a mess, but have to say if this was a double bluff, I think I would commit as the suffra-jets did and lock myself to one of the lions in Traf Square :D
No it's beyond all my comprehension................but as you say stranger things have happened.
Robbie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:58 pm 
Site Admin

Mark & Robbie:

hope you've cooled down to boiling point by now!

Actually, we've nearly lost Victory on earlier ocasions. I can't access my bookshelves at the moment (don't ask!) to locate sources, but I am sure that at one point Victory was due to be scrapped with the sanction of Hardy (yes!) and it was only when Lady Hardy had a wifely word in his ear that he was persuaded to change his mind and Victory was saved. Incredible, if true.

Also, there was a 'Save the Victory' Fund in the 1930s I think, when the ship was in a dire state, and again, was saved by public action.

I'm sorry I'm pressed for time at the moment and can't give sources. Mark - you like 'ferretting'. Can you give us chapter and verse?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:06 pm 

Anna,

I believe the reference was in 'Nelson's Hardy and His Wife' by John Gore, published in 1935, and which referred of course to the occasion in 1831 when Hardy, then First Lord, was about to sign for the disposal of Victory. I'm afraid I don't have a copy!

It seems inexplicable to us that he would have done this, but I think Hardy was perhaps of an unsentimental disposition and didn't appear to hold much store by such feelings, even though it was his old ship and there was of course the strong link to his deceased friend and commander. I suppose in his defence, it is fair to say that the Victory at that date wasn't in particularly good condition.

Thank goodness his wife was differently motivated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:39 pm 

"Actually, we've nearly lost Victory on earlier ocasions. I can't access my bookshelves at the moment (don't ask!) to locate sources, but I am sure that at one point Victory was due to be scrapped with the sanction of Hardy (yes!) and it was only when Lady Hardy had a wifely word in his ear that he was persuaded to change his mind and Victory was saved. Incredible, if true. "

Thank goodness for "wives" eh mates............and Kester, I think your right, Hardy may not have been a sentimentalist! I for sure get a bit sad when I know of ships I served in being scrapped :(
Robbie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:03 pm 

Robbie,

Indeed wives have their uses, or so they keep telling us! :wink:

I wonder if Hardy was unique, since I can't believe that the majority of seamen, today as well as then, have not been somewhat saddened when a ship they have served in has either been scrapped, or come to some other tragic end – which in the RN can sometimes mean a condemned ship being used for gunnery practice! However, that doesn't sound so bad if, for example, the old ship is used to support acquatic life or some similar 'occupation'.

However Hardy obviously had the seamen's penchant for complaining when others, mostly artists, don't get all the details right. I believe, for example, that he poured scorn on Turner's canvas the Battle of Trafalgar, and I think commented that the artist had managed to make the Victory look like a row of houses!

I can only speak of one or two vessels that I have sailed in, one of which later went aground, broke up and sank, the other caught fire and burnt to the waterline (both of them were wooden vessels) news of which brought a lump to the throat, even several years hence! However in the latter case, what remained was salvaged and she has since been rebuilt to her former (1907) glory!

Of course, one doesn't mind so much if the vessel in question now sails for someone else, more or less in the same guise. However, I don't particularly like ships being revamped for use as a floating nightclub or restaurant moored alongside, although I suppose this can be forgiven if the ship in question is kept looking smart and shipshape, and I guess we can make an exception for the Britannia. It seems that once a ship is moored to a quay indefinitely, the rot actually does begin to settle in, since the ship herself is not the main concern of the business aboard. To my mind too, ships should be ships and managed by someone who at least has some semblance of nautical knowledge, not some 'executive' who doesn't know his bow from his stern and who, moreover, is not really interested in knowing! In actual fact, I think it better in many cases for ships to be scrapped, so that they can be remembered for what they were, rather than have them become a pathetic shadow of their former selves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:51 pm 

Devenish wrote:
Robbie,

Indeed wives have their uses, or so they keep telling us! :wink:

I wonder if Hardy was unique, since I can't believe that the majority of seamen, today as well as then, have not been somewhat saddened when a ship they have served in has either been scrapped, or come to some other tragic end – which in the RN can sometimes mean a condemned ship being used for gunnery practice! However, that doesn't sound so bad if, for example, the old ship is used to support acquatic life or some similar 'occupation'.

However Hardy obviously had the seamen's penchant for complaining when others, mostly artists, don't get all the details right. I believe, for example, that he poured scorn on Turner's canvas the Battle of Trafalgar, and I think commented that the artist had managed to make the Victory look like a row of houses!

I can only speak of one or two vessels that I have sailed in, one of which later went aground, broke up and sank, the other caught fire and burnt to the waterline (both of them were wooden vessels) news of which brought a lump to the throat, even several years hence! However in the latter case, what remained was salvaged and she has since been rebuilt to her former (1907) glory!

Of course, one doesn't mind so much if the vessel in question now sails for someone else, more or less in the same guise. However, I don't particularly like ships being revamped for use as a floating nightclub or restaurant moored alongside, although I suppose this can be forgiven if the ship in question is kept looking smart and shipshape, and I guess we can make an exception for the Britannia. It seems that once a ship is moored to a quay indefinitely, the rot actually does begin to settle in, since the ship herself is not the main concern of the business aboard. To my mind too, ships should be ships and managed by someone who at least has some semblance of nautical knowledge, not some 'executive' who doesn't know his bow from his stern and who, moreover, is not really interested in knowing! In actual fact, I think it better in many cases for ships to be scrapped, so that they can be remembered for what they were, rather than have them become a pathetic shadow of their former selves.

As per usual Kester, you show so much wisdom and very hard to follow from an old sea dog! :lol:

Regarding Hardy, yes I do belive he was unique in that his indifference did show about Victory, maybe as Nelson we can agree to his brilliance but he was also hurman eh!! I actually agree with him re Turner's Battle of Trafalgar, do you?

The ships I served in have now all gone, like my memory :lol: but the exceptions are as follows (sorry to bore you!).........Repton, she was a ton class minesweeper she was sold in 82, I think to India and still survives. Next Rothesay type 12 anti submarine frigate, sold to Spain in 88 and later broken up. I had many happy memories from her and was deeply saddened. HMS Duncan was a type 14 anti sub frigate and she was broken up in 85 and that really saddened me, she was an absolute dream to go to sea in and was the happiest ship I served in. And so to HMS Plymouth, again a type 12 and she is now a museum ship, but is looking for a berth or scrapping! Last but not least the Brighton another type 12 and she was scrapped in 85 in Scotland, another berevement!!! Maybe I am more sentimental than others but I was always sad to lose the ships I served on.

I think your righjt about a ship being moored up and losing its well being. The Americans seem to have to got it off pat, but they do have the weather and Goverment money. We have to get charities to fund and the maintenance is probably high, so there is the delemare! I think the Naval Dockyards are the best bet, i.e. Victory at Portsmouth including Warrior which looks great except when you scan the water line you can see the rot setting in. Also Chatham has HMS Cavelier, the last operational destroyer from the 2nd World War, she's in pretty good nick!

Re Britania, as you know she is in Edinburgh and I hear she is in good nick, but I agree with you that she is only kept as a finacial interest and not necessarily a maritime one. It is a private company that owns and runs her as a museum!!! :( I never agreed with her paying off, but then I am a Royalist and they seem to be thin on the ground nowadays.

Enough I hear him cry enough!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Talk again Kester, Regards as always Robbie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:18 pm 
Site Admin

In view of our discussion here about Victory's trials and tribulations after her sea-going life was over, I've posted details on the Information Forum about a conference organised by the Naval Dockyards Society on shipbulding, and much on Victory in particular.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:53 pm 

tycho wrote:
In view of our discussion here about Victory's trials and tribulations after her sea-going life was over, I've posted details on the Information Forum about a conference organised by the Naval Dockyards Society on shipbulding, and much on Victory in particular.

Thanks Anna......................on my way to look now!
Robbie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:04 pm 

Robbie,

I think I also agree with Hardy and yourself re. the appearance of the Victory in Turner's painting. Having seen it in the flesh, so to speak, at Greenwich, and of course in pictures etc., I must say that I don't particularly like it that much.

Presumably Hardy may also have pointed out that several of the incidents depicted, which in reality happened several hours apart, were all happening simultaneously in his, ie. Turner's, rendition, and thus it was unrealistic. I think I would also have to agree with him there, and would far prefer it if the scene is set at one particular time in the action. However, I guess we have to put that down to the artistic licence of the day, when it was obviously thought important to 'get it all in'! I think the setting of a canvas at one particular moment in a battle, tends to be done rather more today and I think particularly here of Geoff Hunt, Robin Brooks and others in this regard.

I did actually apply to join the navy when I was about seventeen, but unfortunately was disbarred on medical grounds. I was heartbroken for some while after, I seem to remember! However, I have thought since that I would not have been able to sail in all the square-riggers that I have if I had joined! I have though been on a couple of RN seadays, the first being aboard I think a sister of the Duncan, HMS Hardy (strangely enough!), the other being in 1966 on HMS Lowestoft, where we were part of a squadron out of Portsmouth. Very exciting it was too, as the navy put on a little demonstration of gunnery at towed targets, RAS, being buzzed by aircraft etc. I seem to remember the 'flagship' was the old Lion, and the other ships included Dainty and Defender.

Last edited by Devenish on Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:59 pm 
Site Admin

Trafalgar posed something of a problem for artists of the day if they wanted to move beyond simply recording events in the battle and try to capture the national mood, because the country's mood was a combination of celebrating a victory and mourning a hero. How was the artist to combine both celebration and mourning in the same picture? Turner, like many others, chose to devate from historical truth to record a deeper emotional truth. He painted the French flag laid out in surrender at the victory (hooray!), with Nelson's dying figure alongside (Oh, woe!).

In one of the paintings by Devis of the death of Nelson - the one where Nelson looks convincingly gaunt, covered by a sheet - Devis paints his discarded Admiral's coat crumpled at his feet, intending to symbolise the end of his earthly command and authority. In fact, the coat wasn't there at all; it had been rolled up and used as a makeshift pillow under Midshipman Westphal's wounded head. I can't help feeling that a painting that included a lowly midshipman made more comfortable by Nelson's coat as a pillow would have been far truer to the spirit of Nelson: I feel he would have approved of that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:22 pm 

Anna,

I think we're talking about his two different paintings here. This is the one I mean, and Captain Hardy was talking of. Click on picture for a larger image:

http://arthistory.about.com/od/from_exh ... mma_08.htm

I'm afraid I like the other one even less! :shock: I know its 'artistic', with Nelson breathing his last on the quarterdeck and all that and we know Turner was a great exponent of that concept, but he seems to have given poor old Victory just have one mast!

I take your point about the Devis painting, but do we know at what point Westphal arrived on the orlop and could the scene have been depicting a period time before that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:48 pm 

I've also just found this from the NMM Greenwich, with its interesting comment:

http://www.nmm.ac.uk/mag/pages/mnuExplo ... ID=BHC0565