Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Nelson's Hardy
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:38 pm 

Tony mentions in the 'cruel and bullying' thread:'

I wonder whether Hardy actually made use of Nelson's reprieves to help build his own reputation as a disciplinarian?

It got me wondering why Nelson and Hardy got on so well together, despite appearing to be so different in temperament and style of command.

Why did Nelson prefer Hardy as his flag captain above all others?

Tony's comment also brings to mind an attempted reprieve that Hardy stamped on very firmly. At Palermo, Lady Hamilton interceded on behalf of a sailor due to receive a dozen lashes. On hearing this, Hardy doubled the punishment; the first twelve for the original offence and the second for attempting to get Lady Hamilton to have the sentence commuted.

George Parsons in his Memoirs relates that it was well known for Lady Hamilton to intercede when appealed to, often successfully, and that as a result she was appealed to often.

This seems to show that Hardy was a strong character, willing to risk Nelson's displeasure when necessary, to do what he felt was right.

It's a very well known story, and perhaps Hardy did use incidents such as this to set an example, capitalise on them and stamp his authority as a disciplinarian.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:00 am 
Site Admin

It does seem strange that HN and Hardy got on so well when they were so different; but often opposing temperaments work well together if each is able to acknowledge the virtues in the other that he lacks.

Hardy was a self-contained, imperturbable man, a useful foil to Nelson's more mercurial temperament. And though he was severe in his exercise of command and expected obedience, he was also, it appears, willing to obey his superiors. Edgar Vincent quotes Gore's story: 'Nelson once asked him, 'How is it that you and I never disagree, for my other captains, Berry etc. never let me do a thing I wanted without first resisting?' Hardy replied, 'It is, sir, from my always being first lieutenant when you like to be captain, and Flag captain when you have a fancy for being Admiral'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:20 am 

The following extract is from a biographical sketch recorded by Francis Seymour, Hardy's nephew by marriage, after a conversation late in Hardy's life. Although perhaps not the most objective of accounts, it has some relevance to this and other threads:

EDIT: Oops - I posted this without first seeing Tycho's post. This is more of the same extract from Gore.

" [After the Nile]. Sir Thomas asked for a frigate and obtained one but on Lord Nelson begging him to be his Flag Captain, he gave her up and entered into that line that afterwards so completely made his fortune. He found Lord Nelson's ship in extremely bad order, for, excellent as he was as an officer on most points, he [Nelson] was no seaman. So much so was this the case that on Sir Thomas proposing one day to take in a reef in the main topsail, Lord Nelson laughed at him and defied him to get it done. On giving the order to the lieutenant, he soon found from the look of wonderment and surprise with which it was received how completely ignorant were the whole ship's company of their duty; but not being a man to give up his point easily, he himself gave the necessary directions so to place the ship as to take in the reef, and then, quietly taking off his buckles and cocked hat, went aloft and laid out on the yard; which example was speedily followed by the topmen. On his coming down, Lord Nelson expressed himself in the strongest terms on what Sir Thomas himself thought the easiest and most simple act imaginable, being always remarkably active and quick in going aloft.

"The next occurrence which completely fixed Lord Nelson's confidence in him, a confidence unshaken to the moment of his death, was the surprising celerity with which Sir Thomas got his ship in readiness to go to sea. After refitting at Naples Malta was to be blockaded, and Lord Nelson was of course most anxious to get away but saw no chance of it under six weeks. Sir Thomas reported himself ready in 10 days.

"Although generally the mildest man possible, he was a strict disciplinarian and being determined to get the ship in trim, was more severe than usual. Thinking the midshipmen not sufficiently on the alert and too much given to walking the deck with their hands in their pockets, he quietly sent for the tailor and sewed up all their pockets, an affront which the present Capt. Jocelyn Percy has never forgiven. Lady Hamilton was extremely jealous of the influence he possessed over Lord Nelson and took every opportunity of showing her dislike of him, which annoyed him but little. Although Lord N., at the time did not dare to take his part, he afterwards always convinced him of his unaltered affection for him.

"This affection was chiefly gained by Sir Thomas's tact, for, although in reality completely sole command officer in the ship, he generally contrived to make his own suggestions appear to have originated with his chief, and above all, never contradicted him.

"The Admiral said to him one day:

"'How is it that you and I never disagree, for my other Captains, Berry, etc., never let me do a thing I wanted without at first resisting ?'

"'It is, Sir [said Sir Thomas], from my being always first lieutenant when you like to be Captain, and Flag Captain when you have a fancy for being Admiral.'

The sketch also includes the story of Hardy doubling the punishment after Emma's intercession, and also says that he afterwards told her he had done so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:51 am 
Site Admin

I was interested in the remark that Hardy and Lady H. didn't get on. It appeared they clashed on occasions, but Emma liked to be liked and was generally effusive to Nelson's friends and supporters, reserving her fire for anyone who didn't like Nelson. Certainly, in a hastily scrawled short letter I have of hers to Captain Sutton she includes her 'love to Hardy'.

He was a guest at Merton too, though he contrived to stay friendly with Lady Nelson. That was usually cause for excommunication in Emma's eyes; but in this case, apparently, Hardy was invited, was happy to visit and was made welcome. And Hardy, immediately on Nelson's death, went to Nelson's cabin and took charge of letters to Lady Hamilton which might otherwise have fallen into official hands. It might have been done primarily for Nelson's sake, in which case he could simply have destroyed them. Instead, he made sure they were delivered to Emma, an act of great consideration, tact and grace.

When was Gore writing? Throughout the nineteenth century pretty well, Emma was a target for snide and spiteful remarks. It would appear that, despite occasional altercations, she and Hardy maintained a friendly, if not close relationship.

Tony: you've also found another example, in addition to St, Vincent's complaint, about Nelson's disordered ships. It seems very out of character to me: in most things Nelson was a stickler for discipline, and very orderly about administering his ships, with paperwork dealt with expeditiously. An interesting foible.

Post subject: Nelson's Hardy
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:20 am 

I wonder if Gore's judgement, quoted by Tony above, is an example of how a single (or rare) failing on Nelson's part, seamanship in this case, provided an opportunity for his enemies to fix on to and magnify.

It's interesting that St. Vincent latches onto it in early 1801, although no such criticism appears to have passed his lips before the Nile. A thing St. Vincent, in no uncertain terms, would usually have had an opinion on and taken action about.

The circumstances too, around the period Gore refers to, when Nelson begged Hardy to be his Flag Captain, would surely be exceptional.

Nelson is wounded, saddled with the physical and administrative baggage following a great battle: damaged ships, prizes, the wounded, prisoners, political and strategic fallout, dispatches etc. Berry had been his captain at the Nile, and was now in the hands of the French as a prisoner himself.

If the burden of keeping his own ship in order was added to all this, perhaps he could be forgiven, a bit of a lapse.

Didn't he make some remark on Berry's capability (comparing him unfavourably to Hardy.) Something about Hardy taking over the day to day elements of commanding his ship, whereas he would need to be forever stepping in to support Berry?

Once Nelson had stepped up to command squadrons and fleets, the day to day running of his ship would surely have been something he would have wanted to hand over to capable, trouble free hands.

I do wonder if this instance became a mantra for those wishing to demean Nelson's capabilities as a seaman for their own purposes. It certainly seems to be at odds with the majority of information available on his seamanship.

Perhaps it was more a reflection on Berry's abilities or absence, than a fair assessment of a wounded and harrassed Admiral.

How did Berry's reputation fare as a seaman? Courageous absolutely, but as a capable and confident sea commander and administrator?

And Anna's mention of Gore writing in Victorian times. I agree that this period is probably the most flawed of all to get a clear and true picture of Nelson and his times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:57 pm 
Site Admin

The two best known biographies of Hardy are difficult to come by and expensive (and usually tatty) once found.

The Dovecote Press www.dovecotepress.com has created a special edition of A M Broadley's 'Three Dorset Captains at Trafalgar' to commemorate the Trafalgar celebrations. The book deals with Digby of 'Africa' and Bullen of 'Britannia' as well as Hardy, to whom the book is largely devoted. It costs £25 - not the same as an original first edition, I know, but they often have plates missing etc. - and a darned sight cheaper if it is the text you are interested in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:04 pm 

I still maintain that this ill feeling towards Nelson, from the King down through St Vincent and even Hardy and others, stems from his association with Emma Hamilton.

The liason offended genteel society, and so was not to be borne. To Emma and Nelson this was not of such importance, although I think Nelson did try to take steps to lessen it, because of his career. Emma, unfortunately, I don't think did - for example, she didn't burn Nelson's letters, as he did hers - although, paradoxically, it is from her letters we learn much about Nelson himself.

As regards St Vincent, the fact that his dislike seems to stem from around 1801, was likely due both to the fact that he was then First Lord of the Admiralty, and thus couldn't be seen to be out of step with general opinion - certainly not that of the King, and because he was of the same opinion himself! His feelings would seem to have overidden his earlier regard for Nelson and his abilities and perhaps was also coloured by the dispute he had with him over prize money. It would also seem to colour his opinion of Nelson's seamanship although, as I said in another post, this was of a high order especially when he was younger.

When Nelson became an Admiral, his seamanship skills might have dimmed somewhat as things do if you do not regularly keep them up. His duty then however was to command a fleet, thus he had a flag captain to command his flagship, from Berry onwards. Because of his earlier prowess, however, he must have found it very difficult to keep his 'fingers off' even though it was not then his job! Hence the remark of Hardy's, when Nelson observed they had no problems between them! Nelson would occasionally assume the role of captain and Hardy that of first lieutenant, although of course this would have been when no enemy was about! On one occasion, Nelson put the ship 'in irons' and said to the officer of the watch, 'now look what we have done, what shall we do.' When the man replied that to the effect that he did not know, Nelson replied that he didn't either, and left the deck, leaving the officer to handle the ship as best he might!

Kester

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:14 pm 

John Gore's 'Nelson's Hardy and his Wife' was published in 1935, but in the extract in my previous post he was quoting directly from a paper in his possession, which was Francis Seymour's record of a conversation with Hardy at Greenwich Hospital in 1838 (the year before Hardy died), written down the same day and forwarded to Hardy's daughter Louisa.

The remainder of Gore's extract from Seymour's biographical note reads as follows:

"Lord N. invariably consulted him relative to promotions, etc. A lieutenant who afterwards cut his throat, had made himself disagreeable to Sir Thomas, he believed by Lady Hamilton's instruction, and being anxious to get him out of the ship he recommended him for promotion, very candidly telling Lord Nelson, who was aware there was no love lost. between them, that one or other must leave the station, and he preferred not being the one. A boat's crew having misbehaved themselves applied to Lady Hamilton to use her influence to get them off being punished. Sir Thomas said very little when she applied to him and rather gave her to understand she was successful; but the next morning he gave the men a dozen apiece for the offence and an extra dozen for applying to Lady Hamilton which he informed her afterwards would be the fate of every man for whom she interceded. Sir Thomas allows that this was carrying the authority he had in the ship rather far, but he was determined not to have the excellent discipline he had succeeded in getting, interfered with. . .

"His luck appears to have been extraordinary throughout his career; no one accident ever happened to him or any one event he had since reason to regret. This he attributes chiefly to strictest obedience to orders, indifference to responsibility and above all never seeing with anybody's eyes but his own.

"He took nothing for granted, actually saw every order he gave executed and never spared himself by day or night. This latter merit was the cause of saving his ship on several occasions. In particular, once, when off the dangerous coast of Tripoli, Nelson had urged him to be cautious and he hardly went to bed. One day whilst at dinner his mind misgave him that the ship's course had been altered contrary to his orders. He rushed on deck and, hardly knowing why or wherefore, something induced him to put the helm hard down. The ship bumped twice on a shoal which must have proved fatal one instant later and all hands would have been lost.

"Sir Thomas's opinion of Lord Nelson was that to most people he was not easy to live with or attractive in his manners, being fidgety to the greatest degree, vain and proud. Although his infatuation for Lady Hamilton was great, his intimacy was not what was generally supposed.

Hardy publicly maintained to the end that Nelson's relationship with Emma was platonic and that Horatia was adopted. His private comment after Sir William's death was: "How her Ladyship will manage to Live with the Hero of the Nile now, I am at a loss to know, at least in an honourable way".

Whether or not it is true Emma disliked Hardy in the early days, it does not seem to be the case later. Hardy himself claimed that in 1801 she was angry that his stay at Merton could not be longer. As Tycho said, his friendship with both Lady Hamilton and Lady Nelson is remarkable. I imagine only one or two of Nelson's professional colleagues or friends achieved that?

It is worth remembering that by the time of Hardy's conversation with Seymour in 1838, Emma was somewhat of an embarrassment to Hardy. Beatty recorded Nelson's dying requests to Hardy in his 'Death of Nelson', including the words "take care of my dear Lady Hamilton, Hardy; take care of poor Lady Hamilton". Clearly Hardy did not succeed in taking care of her. Beatty in his third edition, published in 1825, removed those words, presumably in an attempt to save embarrassment for Hardy and the others present at Nelson's death, including himself. In 1838, it perhaps suited Hardy to present Emma in a less favourable light.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:56 pm 
Site Admin

Tony's observation that it may well have suited Hardy in 1838 to present Emma in a less favourable light carries some weight.

Hardy's comments on Nelson are interesting but also puzzling as some of them seem to contradict the opinion of many others on Nelson. Certainly he was 'fidgety' - impatient, restless, always busy, and must have been exhausting to be about, particularly to someone of Hardy's phlegmatic temperament. But his comment that Nelson 'was not attractive in his manners' is extraordinary, since there are so many opinions to the contrary. It was not the view of, for example, the Duke of Clarence, who spoke of 'something irresistibly pleasing in his address'; of Lady Spencer, who spoke of his 'simple, unaffected manners'; of, I think, Captain Duff, who said, 'He is so good and pleasant an admiral' that everyone was anxious to please him. The ordinary seamen too were appreciative of his manner towards them, authoritative, certainly, but always considerate. Even Alexander Ball, who spoke of his 'irritability', speedily qualified his remarks by emphasising Nelson's constant concern and dedication to the welfare of the fleet. Christopher Hibbert also records an incident where Nelson has spoken angrily in the heat of the moment to a junior officer and then later asked his pardon.

The comments on his 'vanity' seemed to be particularly frequent after the battle of the Nile. Recent medical research suggests that the head wound Nelson suffered might well have affected his behaviour. Certainly his mood swings between depression and grandiosity are very characteristic of those who have suffered trauma to the frontal lobes. On many other occasions, for example when receiving public accolades, people spoke of his modesty. His remarks always followed the same lines: that any admiral could have achieved what he had achieved if he had under him 'the gallant officers and brave seamen' that he had the luck to command.

His remark that Nelson's relationship with Emma was 'less intimate than supposed', is wrong, of course. But was he attempting to defend his old commander, or was he as wrong in this perception as he was in others?
Hardy was close to Nelson - it was he who hung up the portraits of Emma and Horatia, who heard Nelson enthuse about 'Santa Emma', who had Nelson's letters delivered to Emma after Trafalgar. His remark that their cohabitation following Sir William's death would be dishonourable suggests he knew exactly what the situation was. So why say the opposite to Seymour in defence of Nelson and yet make other negative remarks about his character that do not seem to hold water. Very strange.

It is also difficult to believe that Emma instructed a junior officer to be offensive to Hardy. He was discreet, and totally loyal to Nelson. This would be more than enough to ensure Emma's approval. As I said in an earlier post, she was relentless in her pursuit of Nelson's enemies, but always gave a welcome and admiration to his friends. Temperamentally they were opposites and would not perhaps themselves have been friends; but Nelson was the common bond and Hardy's loyalty to him would have been paramount to Emma and would have overridden any personal lack of empathy she might have had.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:50 pm 

Tycho wrote:
His remark that their cohabitation following Sir William's death would be dishonourable suggests he knew exactly what the situation was. So why say the opposite to Seymour

Perhaps he trusted Manfield to keep a confidence, but not Seymour?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:00 pm 

tycho wrote:
Hardy's comments on Nelson are interesting but also puzzling as some of them seem to contradict the opinion of many others on Nelson.

I would interpret Hardy's reported opinion of Nelson as the opinion of someone whose own friendship, loyalty and respect for Nelson was unquestionable, and who could therefore afford to be more candid than most. Notice that he is reported to say that Nelson was 'to most people not easy to live with or attractive in his manners, being fidgety to the greatest degree, vain and proud'. This rather concurs with Wellesley's reported comment that 'Lord Nelson was in different circumstances two quite different men'. I imagine that Nelson in his element, on board ship, or in command, or with friends, was quite different to Nelson on shore and in society. Wellesley was reported to suggest that there were others who had an impression of Nelson as 'a light and trivial character', saying that if his conversation had only lasted quarter of an hour, then: 'I should have had the same impression of a light and trivial character that other people have had; but luckily I saw enough to be satisfied that he was really a very superior man. - But certainly a more sudden and complete metamorphosis I never saw.'

Hardy also said after Copenhagen: 'Lord Nelson says he never will be employed again, ... but it is as much impossible for him to remain at home as it is for him to be happy at Sea'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:53 pm 
Site Admin

I do wish I could remember sources! I recall reading 'somewhere' that the Duke of Wellington made the remarks Tony quoted above many years after the event, and may have been playing to the gallery a little in recounting this meeting. This is the problem even with primary sources: how often they may be tempted to exaggerate or re-arrange the truth; time plays strange tricks with the memory.

With a few exceptions, though, I think it is generally agreed that Nelson, on most occasions had a most attractive 'address'. He was generally easy, charming and relaxed in company. And I think there is not always a sharp distinction between his 'sea-self' and his 'shore-self'. Lady Spencer spoke of his 'wonderful mind' breaking forth in conversation; Lady Elizabeth Foster gives a flutteringly delighted account of meeting Nelson and his charming comments to her about her son. His captains always seemed to enjoy his invitations to dinner. The Rev Mr Scott remarked that Nelson liked to open a conversation then sit back and listen attentively to the exchanges of others. There are also reports of unaccountable taciturnity on occasions - amongst Fanny's acquaintance in the West Indies, for example; or sudden garrulity, when he launched into a long spiel to a stranger on the remarkable nature of the victory at the Nile. It might well be that, for all his social ease, he occasionally found himself in uncongenial company and either talked too much or talked too little. (That's what I do on such occasions, anyhow!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:54 am 
Site Admin

This letter from Hardy to Lady Hamilton, written in May 1806, and quoted in the catalogue of the 'Save the Victory Exhibition 1928', is written in the friendliest manner. Hardy was generally a man of few words, not given to effusiveness, or hypocrisy, so the easy, intimate tone and content of this letter sees to confirm that Hardy’s relationship with Lady Hamilton and others at Merton was a pleasant one, and that his occasional disagreements with her did not greatly disturb their generally tranquil friendship.

HMS Boscawen
May 1806

My ever Dear Lady Hamilton,

I send you herewith dear Nelson’s shoe buckles which I took off his feet. To you, I know, they will be doubly dear as he so often knelt at yours. His uniform I sent, all but the portion of epaulet divided by the fatal ball.
[name omitted] will bring it to you.

Sir William Blissett has the ball and won’t part with it. I hope you got all safe. I expect to be in town soon and hope to hear that Harry has got his commission and will soon be afloat. Sad affair of poor Captain Skene. It is well he has no wife to lament him. No tidings of ‘Arethusa’ or crew; hope all are safe. Old Broughton is still at China and will be home in May or June next if all goes well and right.

If you write, pray direct to Blue Post Inn, Portsmouth, as we may take a short cruise before I can take leave and come up to London. Give my best love to dear Horatia and her playmate, also to Miss Whately
[Horatia’s music teacher] if still with you. Tell her I do not forget her beautiful singing. Adieu,

Yours ever affectionately,

Thomas M. Hardy RN

Lady Hamilton
Bond Street