Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Female transvestism and the 17-18 cen Dutch navy
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:50 pm 

Slightly off topic but not by much:

Several years ago Radio Netherlands broadcast "Crossing the Line", a really fascinating documentary on how and why some women passed as men in 17th and 18th century Dutch society, notably in the Dutch army and navy.

I just found the program archived on the RN website. You can listen to the program here:

http://www.radionetherlands.nl/thenetherlands/weeklyfeature/tv020405.html

The program is based on the following book:

The Tradition of Female Transvestism in Early Modern Europe
by Rudolf M. Dekker, Lotte C. van de Pol

The authors present highlights of their work.

Similar studies in British records would be an intriguing topic for a scholar (if it hasn't already been done).

Here's the program outline from RN:

====

Imagine you're a poor servant girl living in The Netherlands in the eighteenth century. Your prospects aren't good. What do you do? Well, you could always become a man. That's what many women of the time did. It was illegal but they felt it was worth the risk. Most became soldiers and sailors and many even became famous.

Two Dutch social historians have now written a book on women who dressed as men in the 17th and 18th centuries. Lotte van de Pol and Rudolf Dekker trawled the Dutch historical archives, mostly records of court proceedings, and found that the phenomenon was far more common than expected.

Most of the time it was purely for economic reasons, where the choice was either prostitution or military service, but for some there was a sexual motive. A few even married other women.

Increasing Income
"Women cross dressing could gain in various ways," explains Rudolf Dekker. "They could earn immense income, they had possibilities for some kind of a career in the army, or navy and if they were successful they had at least shown some male qualities, like bravery, and these were valued in a positive way.

"Of course they have to find an excuse for not having a beard but in general a woman dressed as a man looks younger and most of them, as far as we can judge, looked like attractive young men. They looked like boys but that was no problem because the general idea was that when a child was six years old, he or she should begin to work for a living. So, if a woman of 20 looked like a boy of 14 or 15 it was not a problem to enter military service or to have a job aboard a ship."

Hygiene Problems
The lower standards of hygiene in those days also helped to avoid detection, people didn't undress or wash as much as they do today. But dressing and acting as a man all day every day, proved too difficult for most women.

"They were usually detected after rather a short time," says Lotte van de Pol.

"Sometimes after only a few weeks or a few months. Only a very few managed to live for many years as a man. Sometimes the performance was just not good enough. Or, in a ship in crowded quarters where common sailors lived together it was of course extremely difficult if you had to change your clothes or even go out for a pee, or even worse if you are menstruating."

Exiled Existence
When they were discovered, the cross dressing women often faced severe punishment. It was especially dangerous for those who had been married as they risked the death penalty, but more usually they were exiled from their community. A very harsh punishment for the time.
"Sending people to prison was expensive," says Rudolf.

"And besides there weren't many prisons. These were difficult cases and the judges seemed to think that if these women were out of their jurisdiction then they'd have one problem less. It could be exile from a city or a town but more usually it was from a much larger geographic region. This was really a heavy punishment because theses women were looking for jobs in the economic centre of the country so if you were forced out of that it would be a heavier sentence than we would think today."

Behaving Differently
Of course, even with such harsh sentences some women continued to live their lives as men. But, says Rudolf, for various social and cultural reasons, the phenomenon seemed to die out at the end of the 18th century.

"After around 1800 we only found some isolated cases and there are various reasons for the disappearance of this tradition. Holland because an economic backwater of Europe. There was much less or no female immigration of adventurous women who wanted to try their luck in Holland."

"Also, you started to get passports and registration of people," adds Lotte. "You could no longer just skip from one country to another without confirmed identity and you couldn't go into the army without an medical examination. It maybe that it was a social-cultural thing as well, the idea of what a women is and how a woman should behave was very different from that early modern period."

====

Post subject: In the army too.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:05 pm 
Site Admin

Fascinating stuff!

There was also a famous transvestite in the British Army, Dr James (Miranda) Barry. (1792(?) - 1865. A bit off naval topic, but partly our period, so that's OK.

She entered medical school in Edinburgh in 1814, disguised as a man and served in the British Army as a surgeon for 45 years. She improved medical care for ordinary soldiers and performed the first Caesarian section in Africa: both mother and child survived.

She finished her career as Inspector General of Military Hospitals.

Apparently, she was quite a dandy, and very flirtatious with officers' wives and fought a duel over one woman in 1819.

Last edited by tycho on Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:44 pm 

There has already been an excellent study of women in the Navy, "Female Tars" by Suzanne Stark.

Chapters include 'Prostitutes and seamens wives' - ' women of the lower deck at sea', but she also examines the phenomenon of Women in Disguise. There were apparently several, including Anne Chamberlain who served afloat in mans clothing in the 1690s and a black woman who went under the name "William Brown" for several years in the early 1800s; Hannah Snell 'the British Amazon' in the 1750s.

Stark then give a very full account of Mary Lacy, who served both on ships and in the dockyard under the name 'William Chandler' in the 1760s; she later applied for, and was granted, a pension as retired dockyard shipwright.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:40 pm 

Thank you for these references, I'll be sure to explore them. These women were quite daring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:32 pm 

If you want to know more about James/ Miranda Barry, it may be worth contacting Edinburgh University Library - I remember a small exhibition about her when I was a student there.

There are also a number of traditional songs about women who join the army and navy dressed as men - here's a bit from one called 'Female Drummer'

"And so many were the pranks that I saw upon the breech
And so boldly did I fight me boys although I'm but a wench
And they buttoned then up me trousers so up to them I smiled
To think I'd lived with a thousand men and a maiden all the while."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:38 pm 
Site Admin

Slight digression from this earnest treatment, but this made me laugh. Sometimes, apparently, the cross-dressing went the other way. This is from 'Above and Under the Hatches' by James Anthony Gardner, Commander RN (published in 1836 long after his service was over.)

'Sallied out in the evening and went to a house in Scratch Alley [this was in Leghorn] ...Saw there a figure I shall never forget - a fellow dressed as a lady, with a fine cap trimmed with blue ribbon and a white frock on, a face like a Vulcan with a long black beard. When he came into the room we were sitting in, he danced a fandango and cut such astonishing capers that my old mess-mate Vosper said drily,'Gardner, if that fellow is not the devil he must be his near relation'.

It's my birthday today - and at a riotous lunch with family and friends I was given a goody-box of books including this one which I'd come across on Googlebooks. Gardner was an Irishman, a wonderful raconteur with a fund of hilarious stories and a parade of unbelievable characters. He recounts the scams and rackets, the pranks and japes, the enmities, fights and arguments on board ship - it's a wonder they found the energy to fight the enemy. I shall be quoting from it on other threads - it's a mine of information about the Georgian navy as well as much humour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:46 am 

Wishing you many happy returns, and many a gratifying book.

My modest present is a Collingwood letter, a propos of transvestism... but I'll put that in a new thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:36 am 

Tycho,

That's probably why they fought the enemy so well!

Many Happy Returns too, for yesterday!

Kester