Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:56 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Sir Ludovic Kennedy, 1919-2009
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:24 pm 

Sorry to hear of the passing of Ludovic Kennedy today. A fine writer, his book 'Nelson and his Captains ' (Nelson's Band of Brothers) is a fine publication to anyone's Nelson book collection.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:53 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, an excellent, and very readable book. Ludovic Kennedy served in the Royal Navy during World War Two.

I have the paperback edition of N&HC, which gives only a general list of sources, with no precise references for specific quotations, etc. which is rather frustrating. I wonder if anyone has a hardback edition, and can tell me whether more precise references are given there.

Roger Knight's hardback edition of the 2005 biography of Nelson had detailed references, but I was dismayed to find that the paperback edition I bought for a friend omitted them, and contained only a general list of sources. I wonder if it is standard practice for publishers to curtail references in paperback editions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:24 pm 

I'm sure many here will recognise some of his great books, 'Pursuit' the Sinking of the Bismarck. 10 Rillington Place and perhaps one of my favorites when he wrote about his birthplace, Scotland, 'In Bed with an Elephant' a great introduction into Scottish History. Highly Recommended if you can find it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:31 am 

Besides his expertise and knowledge in Naval and nautical matters, and to his many books should be added his volume on Sea Journeys – the collected recollections of many on being at sea – and which he edited, he should also be remembered for his many television appearances.

Who can forget, for example, his brave questioning in the recording studio of that intrepid and 'courageous' parliamentarian, the Hon. Jim Hacker, in 'Yes, Minister' and 'Yes, Prime Minister'?

He will be sadly missed.

Post subject: Re: Sir Ludovic Kennedy, 1919-2009
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:27 pm 
Site Admin

I've just read a comment on Ludovic Kennedy's memorial service in 'The Oldie'. A lifelong atheist, he asked for Nelson's prayer before Trafalgar to be included in the service.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:57 pm 

Anna,

I have the 1975 hardback edition of Nelson and his Captains. The sources listed contain approx. 100 published sources as well as reference to perhaps a score of owners of private papers, 3 files held by the British museum and one by the Nelson museum.

If that's more than your paperback lists, I can do a scan and send it to you.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:30 pm 
Site Admin

Ned:

how very kind of you to offer; thank you. But before I put you to the trouble of copying the list, I wonder if I could find out a little more about the sources listed. The paperback edition does contain a long list of sources; what it doesn't do, is give superscript numbers or footnotes in the text linking a specific quotation to a specific reference in the list of sources, so there is no way of following up a quotation to read it in context in the original source.

If your hardback edition does indeed contain precise references linking each quotation to its source, I'd be very grateful to have a copy of these.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:43 pm 

Anna,

I just flipped through the book and am sorry to say have not found a single footnote and the quotations are not referenced to the sources page.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:07 pm 
Site Admin

Ned:

Thanks, anyway! Much appreciated.