Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: I sense a controversy coming on . . . . . .
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:05 pm 

And also a rather feeble piece in the Independent

Thanks to the quango and Shonibare's batik sails!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:43 am 
Site Admin

http://www.artfund.org/ship/

Any comments?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:15 pm 

It's a model that 'talks' about post culturism in British society and our role as a colonial power. It has nothing to do with our naval past in any legitimate sense. I do not think the NMM should touch it.

Just think this could push out a 200 year old model of an actual fighting ship at the NMM to make space for this.

meh

Joss.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:24 pm 

I'm with Joss. It may be Art but it certainly isn't History. If it must be retained put it it the Tate.

Brian.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:07 pm 

It would be fine if all the money was raised by public subscription, but I wouldn't want the NMM spending money on it. The NMM does have a wide remit (which is why its focus on naval history may well diminish further in the future), but I don't see how this artwork meets the criteria of historical importance.

I don't think space is actually an issue here as the plan is to place it outside the museum.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:18 pm 

Sorry if I take the opposite view, but I think some might be being a bit over-critical here.

If the plan is also to put it outside, and thus separate it from 'real' ship models, I don't see what the problem is. As far as I could see from photographs too, the hull of the model is also quite accurate and had the blessing of both the Victory's commanding officer, and Peter Goodwin, her former curator.

I actually wouldn't mind if it was inside, and is probably a lot better than some of the things they've had on display. The bottom line is that it probably had to go somewhere, and the NMM would seem a far better place than the Tate, which has nothing to do with maritime history. In any case, do we actually know that the NMM is paying for it, or did the artist donate it?

If it were to go inside, I would think there is space for it. As for pushing out a 200 year old model – the NMM has not so long ago off-loaded quite a few of their model collection to a new gallery at Chatham Dockyard.

Apart from anything else, I should also like to see it at some stage – and a visit to the NMM suits me just fine!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:12 pm 

Shonibare's "Ship in a bottle" has now arrived at the NMM: http://instagr.am/p/JzqsWlTEZe/

BBC News story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17812608

Of the required £362,500, the public have donated £260,000, with £50,000 coming from the Art Fund, and £49,100 from the NMM itself (i.e. publicly funded).

While it is a decorative and interesting sculpture which will enhance the NMM, I do think it is a shame that the same fundraising efforts don't go into the purchase of objects of historical significance.

Shonibare is "absolutely delighted and touched by the public's generosity"! Hmm...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:15 pm 

Another photo showing the placement of the sculpture at the NMM: http://www.greenwich.co.uk/news/07923-s ... greenwich/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:30 am 

Tony wrote:
While it is a decorative and interesting sculpture which will enhance the NMM, I do think it is a shame that the same fundraising efforts don't go into the purchase of objects of historical significance.

Tony,

I agree it is a shame, but perhaps this may partly be due to the fact that she had become very well known through her occupation of the fouth plinth in Trafalgar Square, for around two years. The public have had all that time to understand the concept behind the model, so it is perhaps not so surprising that such a large amount was donated towards the Greenwich project. In a sense it was the Art Fund and the NMM having to make up the shortfall.

By the way, my wife and I hope to be visiting Greenwich for a few days next next month. Obviously the ship in a bottle is on our list, as is the revamped NMM, the Royal River exhibition, the restored Cutty Sark and the Old Naval College. I don't think we'll have much spare time on our hands!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:52 pm 

Here is a video from the NMM:

vimeo.com/40997510

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:17 pm 

A bit more controversy - The Guardian is asking why taxpayers have paid twice for this sculpture: http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/ ... th-victory

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:47 am 

Oh dear, just when you thought the controversy might be dying away!

One wonders though, whether Shonibare now thinks the project was all worth while. :?