Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Query Corner
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:58 am 
Site Admin

This is a query from Taywhaler who is out of internet contact at the moment:

a) where would a ship of the line drop anchor off Portsmouth?

b) what subsequent route would be taken by the barge to the shore?

c) what would be the land route from Portsmouth to Bath?

T.i.a. for help.

Also, Mira, Tay says she can't find any reference to 'Remember Nelson' on Amazon. Can you help?

Tycho

Post subject: www.amazon.com
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:29 pm 

No problem Tay/Tycho.

I suspect you might be looking at the UK Amazon site (which the dvd release is not listed on.) It's Amazon in the US you need to access.

Just do the following:

Type in www.amazon.com (not www.amazon.co.uk)

In the search box in the centre at the top type: i remember nelson

It should pop up as the first of the selections recommended.

I'm assuming that the dvd is only available from amazon.com and not the UK based service, but that isn't a problem. I've ordered many items available there and not here, and always experienced good, fast service.

Just make sure that when selecting the type of shipping required, go for expedited and pay a little extra if possible, or the wait for delivery can be up to 6 weeks.

It's worth noting that numerous Nelson related books/dvds etc., are available from amazon.com in the US but not at amazon.co.uk in the UK and vice versa.

Including amazon.com when searching for specific or rare books can sometimes turn up a nice surprise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:12 pm 

"...a) where would a ship of the line drop anchor off Portsmouth?

b) what subsequent route would be taken by the barge to the shore? "

The usual anchorage was in Spithead - that patch of water to the north-east of the Isle of Wight, between the island and Portsmouth. Buoys would have marked shallows and sand banks, such as the Dean Sands, Horse Sands etc.

Any boats from anchored ships would have gone to the harbour entrance, which is quite narrow, keeping well into the shore by Southsea, usually "within a stones cast of the beach".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:29 pm 

Regarding the fact that 'I Remember Nelson' is only available at the moment on Amazon.com. (I have often noticed that products come out in the US first, before the UK, I wonder why?), it might be worth checking to make sure that it is compatible with DVD players over this side of the pond. I seem to remember with DVD's that the US is region 1, whilst Europe is region 2. If it is, all well and good, but I wouldn't want anyone disappointed.

Personally I think I'll wait until it comes out in the UK, it probably won't take that long, and living where I do I'm not sure I'd particularly want to pay the postage from the US.

Kester

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:13 pm 
Site Admin

Tay:

regarding the road route from Portsmouth to Bath. There was a volume called 'Road Atlas of England and Wales' or 'Ogilby's Improved by Emmanuel Bowen' 1720, which had the road routes with coaching inns and crossing roads marked. There were many publishers; sometimes the coaching companies published them. They are expensive to obtain today, even individual maps from 'broken' books.

Your best bet might be to contact the County Archives of the counties through which the coach roads passed - Hampshire, Wiltshire and Somerset. They will have extensive historic map collections and they will sometimes do a specific search for you if you ask nicely in an email.

www.somerset.gov.uk/archives
www.wiltshire.gov.uk/archives
www.hants.gov.uk/record-office.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:05 pm 

The usual road route from Portsmouth to Bath would have been via Southampton, Salisbury and Warminster. I think much of the route would probably have been the same as the A36 today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:20 pm 
Site Admin

Sometimes, though there are deviations in modern roads from the old routes. Round here there are several 'Old Bristol Roads' and 'Old Bath Roads', once on the main route and now backwaters. For Tay's purposes, as a writer, it might be important to have the contemporary names of authentic coaching inns which would be available on the old road maps.

Post subject: I Remember Nelson
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:55 pm 

Re: I Remember Nelson.

Postage charges seem to have risen (like so much else) recently, and I too can't fathom out why so many things from films to dvd's seem to be released to our friends over the pond in the USA before we get the chance to snap them up here.

I managed to pick up the video box set of 'I Remember Nelson' from the USA a few years ago, though we don't have a video that will play the US NTSC format now, but I was also surprised to find it was never released here in the UK either.

It would be useful to know if we can expect a UK release of the DVD before taking the plunge, and wonder if there's way to check that out?

Yes, I'm sure DVD playback formats in the US and UK are different, so anyone pitching in for the US version should check their equipment will play 'All Regions' beforehand.

Oh, for some sort of standardisation in our global village!

Post subject: Thank you, everyone.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:31 am 

Thanks, all , for all the valuable information!-t

Hello all - to old friends, and I hope, many new iones!! Great to be on board, and congratulations to all involved with what will be , I know, a great, lively new site, and as they say, " God bless all who sail in her! - tay