Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:34 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Historic Georgian Dockyard Under Threat
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:32 am 
Site Admin

Read more about the danger to the historic dockyard in Sheerness here:

http://www.savebritainsheritage.org/new ... php?id=146

Georgian architecture is perhaps some of the most elegant ever built in the UK - and elsewhere. I am always impressed that even the most utlilitarian buildings such as dockyards and the Foundling Hospital in London were nevertheless perfectly and satisfyingly proportioned.

You can use this internet link to drop an email to the MP for the area. He's a Conservative, so encourage him to get conserving!

http://www.gordonhendersonmp.org.uk/#/c ... 4533186531

Post subject: Re: Historic Georgian Dockyard Under Threat
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:59 am 

Anna,

Thanks for posting this. I hope that as much as possible will be done to stop this development and save a priceless piece of English heritage. How is it though the developers can pull down listed Grade ll buildings? Is there some loophole? I have never been to Sheerness, although of course I have read about it, but can sense what it might be like having seen other similar buildings.

I agree with you in thinking that Georgian architecture is the most appealing in terms of grace and proportion and taking as it does elements of classical structures. When I worked for the museum service in Poole, Dorset, one of our museums was in the Georgian Guildhall, dating from 1760. I always found it a pleasure to be in the building, even though it was reputedly haunted, which had a council chamber on the upper floor whilst below the elegant ground floor arches housed a market. Trust the Georgians to mix the two uses so amicably! Walking towards the harbour, down the suitably named Market Street, one passes many Georgian terraced houses in similar, if rather more restrained style. They all formed part of a Conservation Area in about 1975, a good move since there were originally plans to knock the whole lot down there too! Thereafter the Area brought a number of tourists to the town – I should know, I was one of the guides who took them round on guided tours. Happy Days!