Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:18 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Not very nautical but...
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:18 pm 

Hello All,

Haven't been here for quite a while because the naval research I was doing is now on the back burner.
I still intend to write a bio of my ggggfr Cdr. Joseph Bazalgette but decided I MUST first finish the main project.
On the front burner is my bio of his father Louis.
Since I have said publicly this book will be available next year I have to get on with it.
I started a blog about it at http://chasbaz.posterous.com/

So for a little light relief please visit, especially if you are interested in period tailoring!

Best wishes to my good friends at Nelson & His World!
Charles

Post subject: Re: Not very nautical but...
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:56 pm 
Site Admin

How nice to hear from you, Charles!

Thank you for the link to your blog - I'm sure we'll all enjoy catching up with your researches.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:26 pm 

Many thanks for the welcome back!

I hope there will be something of interest there, despite the scanty nautical content.
There is some very new research information.

I will be visiting the forum more often in future.

Best wishes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:59 am 

Love your blog, Charles, and nice to see your mention of John Willet Payne. I have a conundrum about this gentleman that I'll post on another thread.

Similarly, I've been wrapped up tightly (mummified really) on a long term project that had frustrated all efforts to escape until now. It'll be a joy to catch up with Nelson's world again!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:54 pm 

Thanks, Mira.
I think I previously had a thread on John Willet Payne, but if not, I do have some information about him.
We can talk about it in your thread.
Best,
Charles

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:04 pm 

I really like the blog. Tailoring is an interesting topic. I won't say AS interesting as naval battle, but that's just my opinion. John Willet Payne, eh? Brave and crazy is always good to talk about.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:28 am 

What I found was there was surprisingly little written about gentlemen's tailoring during this period. I wasn't particularly interested either, but like almost any subject, once you really research it it becomes quite fascinating. Just as I am overawed by the skill required of a naval captain or lieutenant of the time to perform the most basic manoeuvres of a sailing ship, so am I amazed by the fantastic garments cut and sewn entirely by hand by the unsung tailors. There are very few people doing this today, particularly in men's tailoring, but I have been in touch with some tailors at Colonial Williamsburg who do sew period garments by hand and their practical help has been, and continues to be, invaluable.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:03 am 
Site Admin

I paid a visit to Raby Castle in Northumberland some years ago and in the mews there are suits of coachmen's livery on display dating from the late 18th century. The quality of the materials and the exquisite workmanship are both breathtaking. It was only when I saw this that I realised how well-dressed the servants of the rich were. They wore the 'uniform' of their master's livery that marked them out as servants, of course, but in every other respect, their clothes were of identical quality and workmanship to their masters'. I note that Col St Ledger's suit on Charles' blog cost over £19. A Savile Row suit today will set you back a minimum of about £1500. My son-in-law still wears such a suit made 40 years ago for his grandfather - traditionally, it has no maker's label, but the customer's name is stitched in one of the inside pockets.

(Beau Brummell said the secret of his elegance was 'London tailoring and country washing'.)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:24 pm 

The 'Measuring Worth' website tells us that £19 in 1790 was worth £1,850.00 in 2008 using the retail price index, and a great deal more than that based on average earnings. My gggggfr made all of the pages' and other livery uniforms for the Prince's household and I have details of them. They cost between £3 and £5, but the Prince supplied the cloth, which was by far the most expensive item in a suit at the time.