Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:23 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Nelson exhibition:'Family Man or Philanderer?'
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:00 pm 
Site Admin

A Google alert about an exhibition, 'Nelson: family man or philanderer' at the Nelson Museum in Great Yarmouth that focuses on Nelson's private life:

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/photo_galle ... e_1_792948

There's a comments box at the end where readers can add their own views. I'm tempted to add that I always feel it's rather unfair that Nelson has a reputation as a 'philanderer' when it was not at all uncommon at the time for men to have mistresses. The Duke of Wellington was a notorious womaniser and had a whole string of mistresses, but who remembers that now? Nelson's great offence, of course, was not so much that he had a mistress, or even an illegitimate child - there were a lot of those about too - but that he left his wife to live with his mistress and so cocked a snook at the custom and practice of showing official respect to the institution of marriage, whatever you got up to in private.

Post subject: Re: Nelson exhibition:'Family Man or Philanderer?'
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:30 am 

However, Nelson must have had a day job. Wasn't he in the navy or something? I'm very glad too that he was a likeable character :wink:

Post subject: Re: Nelson exhibition:'Family Man or Philanderer?'
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:24 pm 

The Museum has been lent some important letters from Nelson to Emma for the exhibition, including a letter from the 'Thomson series', and the letter expressing Nelson's jealousy of the Prince of Wales. Here is some slightly clumsy reporting (but interesting photos) from the Daily Mail last week about Nelson's slip ups in the Thomson subterfuge: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... l?ITO=1490

(The Daily Mail & the Museum spell the name Thompson, as do Kate Williams and the BBC, but I thought it was Thomson.)