Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Essential Nelson
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:23 pm 

Been trying for years to purchase this book by someone that once lived in Malta and knew. Delighted in having purchased a first edition on a well known auction site. :D

Attachments:
$(KGrHqYOKokE5lRQFRY6BOn)J9m9(!~~60_12.jpg
$(KGrHqYOKokE5lRQFRY6BOn)J9m9(!~~60_12.jpg [ 37.77 KiB | Viewed 14099 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Essential Nelson
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:26 pm 
Site Admin

I picked up a copy on abebooks years ago - an excellent read.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:43 pm 

Does this interesting sounding book contain any references to where or why Nelson's interest in going sea was first aroused? Was it the "Barton Broad" legend, or Burnham Staithe? I know this goes around frequently, but I am trying to pin something down for an event at the National Maritime Museum?
J

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:38 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome to the forum!

I've just checked my copy of this book (interesting and well-written) but there is no mention of where Nelson learned to sail. There seems to be no authoritative source - you'll find our earlier discussion here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=211&p=1077&hilit=learn+to+sail#p1077

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:35 pm 

Hi, Anna
Yes - it was that exchange that prompted me to sign up - I had always assumed that it was Barton Broad, due to the reference about his sister etc, so I was not expecting all the other claims - especially about Horsey Mere!
I'll have to ask at the National Maritime Museum- they surely ought to know!
John

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:56 am 

jfkyachts wrote:
I'll have to ask at the National Maritime Museum- they surely ought to know!
I fear that may be wishful thinking, John. Unless there happens to be a research fellow currently researching some related topic, there is no reason we should expect the NMM to know more than the various highly respected authors of recent biographies. But let us know if you find the answer!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:34 pm 

Is this book just another biography or does it expand into other aspects of his life and legacy that perhaps aren't covered in particular depth in other works published before or since. I'm not familiar with this author or his style. I have a number of the well known biographies already by the likes of Pocock, Oman, Warner, Howarth etc. as well as a fair number of books on the royal navy of the period but I'm always on the look out for something that approaches Nelson and his circle from a different perspective.

I recently purchased an old copy of 'Nelson in England: A Domestic Chronicle' by E Hallam Moorhouse. I've not had an opportunity to read it yet but from a quick glance, as I would expect, it appears to be of its time as it's published in 1913. Hopefully though it will have some information and comment that is not used or overlooked in more modern editions.

I would be interested in any comments on the 'Essential'.

Phil

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:38 pm 

Hi, Phil
Does the 1913 Biography contain anything about where he learned to sail? Or that sparked off his interest in going to sea....it might be written close enough to his time to make that connection!
Interesting...I'll ask at the NMM if they know of this book?
regards
John

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:16 pm 
Site Admin

Phil:

I'm away from home and my bookshelves at the moment but will add more about 'Essential Nelson' when I can refresh my memory. One interesting point he makes is that of the treatment Nelson had for a problem with his mouth that the doctor thought might be a venereal disease. It wasn't, but Nelson did not question the diagnosis. I don't think this was mentioned in any biography until John Sugden's 'A dream of Glory' .

jfkyachts: where Nelson learned to sail is, for the moment, I think, a matter of conjecture. Nelson's interest in a sea career would have been stimulated, almost certainly, by his heroic uncle, Captain Suckling, whose exploits were revered in the family; and it was to him that Nelson applied for support in his chosen career.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:16 pm 
Site Admin

Phil:

I'm away from home and my bookshelves at the moment but will add more about 'Essential Nelson' when I can refresh my memory. One interesting point he makes is that of the treatment Nelson had for a problem with his mouth that the doctor thought might be a venereal disease. It wasn't, but Nelson did not question the diagnosis. I don't think this was mentioned in any biography until John Sugden's 'A dream of Glory' .

jfkyachts: where Nelson learned to sail is, for the moment, I think, a matter of conjecture. Nelson's interest in a sea career would have been stimulated, almost certainly, by his heroic uncle, Captain Suckling, whose exploits were revered in the family; and it was to him that Nelson applied for support in his chosen career.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:55 pm 

Hi John

Your question has made me sit down this afternoon and get around to reading the first chapter of Nelson in England. Naturally it begins with Burnham Thorpe. Unfortunately there is no reference made at all to any sailing tuition or even messing about with boats in the early years. There is more comment made about him having an interest in collecting birds eggs in the woods and hedgerows in the area than in any early desire to go to sea. The first time this is mentioned is when his uncle Capt Maurice Suckling is appointed to the Raisonable and he expresses a wish to go to sea with him, as Anna has mentioned in her note.

I would have thought that with Nelson being such a prolific letter writer, he would perhaps have mentioned this aspect of his early days at some point or other. Also, someone that had known him in his youth would have perhaps published some reminiscences that would substantiate these stories.

Anyway, I hope you eventually have some success with you research.

Anna: Thank you also for your message. I would certainly be interested in any comments you have on the Essential Nelson and perhaps it's a book I can add to my wants list.

Kind Regards

Phil

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:56 pm 

Hi, Anna,
Well this is all very intriguing....two reasons for wanting to finding this out...
first, when I am in Norfolk, everyone jealously guards the idea that indeed, Nelson learnt to sail on Barton Broad......as its not far from North Walsham, but I wonder whether there is some myth and legend...
second, I am hoping to connect some inspiration for a talk/series I am doing at the Nat Maritime Museum in the summer about "growing up in boats".
I'll keep asking....
thanks
John

Profile E-mail