Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:58 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Nelson Blog
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:16 am 

Hi there!

Me and an online friend of mine, who is a big Nelson fan herself, have recently created a website/blog called HMS Hinchinbrook which aimed a teens and young Nelson fans.

http://hmshinchinbrook.weebly.com/

Just thought I'd mention it as any advice, feedback etc. would be much appreciated!

I put the link to this forum on there so I hope that's ok.

It'd be great if you guys could check it out and maybe leave us a comment, as you are some of the top minds on this subject!

Thanks!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Nelson Blog
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:12 am 
Site Admin

Congratulations on setting up your blog! It is hugely encouraging to see young people reviving interest in Our Hero.

I note that Sugden's 'A Dream of Glory' is on your reading wish list. Well, get the pennies in the piggy-bank with all speed and Buy! Buy! Buy! The second volume - much delayed - is due, we hope, later in the year.

I note you also mention in the blog some poems in praise of Nelson. In 2008, the 250th anniversary of Nelson's birth, I put together an anthology of poetry written in praise of Nelson. Most of it is pretty dire as poetry but interesting as an indication of Nelson's continuing place in our history.

if you would like a copy send me a PM with your contact details and I'll put one in the post.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:27 am 

I love it! The enthusiasm you and your friend write with is infectious. I wasn't just reading it because you asked us too - I continued reading because it has the kind of tone that drew me in. And (I hope you don't find this patronising!) I would never have guessed that you are as young as you are. The way you both write is mature yet infused with energy, certainly refreshing, rather than the 'scholarly' (for want of a better word) tone of books and most websites that focus purely on facts and can be a little dull.

I especially liked that you both gave your own opinions and analysis of the portraits (your friend's on the portraits page, and yours on the Ship's Log, am I right?) , as it is easy to fall into the trap of copying other people's analysis and seeing what they see, if you know what I mean.

I can easily see this being something that could spark an interest in Nelson in young people particularly, but in older people also, especially people that would tend to think of history as a bit boring. I also like that you have videos, I think that's pretty unique.

Have you got any ideas for promoting it to as wide an audience as possible? My only concern is that Google relies on keywords in its searches, so yours might come quite low on its list if someone searches for Nelson as a keyword. But, on the other hand, I do like the name.

I'm looking forward to reading more, in fact I've bookmarked it :) I hope you do continue to pursue your interest and turn it into a career. I'd actually love to see you two collaborate to write a book one day, I don't think I've seen anything specifically aimed at teenagers.

(By coincidence, I've also started a website and accompanying blog, as my partner is studying computing and web design and wanted to set up a website, and decided a good subject would be my obsession with Nelson. So if you happen to come across it, I'm not copying you, honest! But it's a different style to yours anyway).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:30 am 

Raerae,

What a great idea! :D What a good name too, linking it to one of Nelson's ship's when he was young himself. I'm sure we'll all be looking in, if not contributing. Good luck, I'm sure you'll get many followers.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:21 pm 

Hi there!

Sorry about my late reply- had my last GCSE exam today so I've been quite busy over the weekend!

Anyway, I'd like to thank you all for your positive feedback and encouragement, it really, really, really means a lot! Rosie, who's the other girl, only fourteen, takes credit for the name HMS Hinchinbrook. I'm quite useless at titles!

Please do check back on it every once in a while- hopefully there'll be more on it in the future! And if you have any suggestions I'd be happy to listen to them.

Vicki- I'm glad you really enjoyed it and liked the tone of our writing! I do try to stay as light-hearted as possible to bring a bit of fun and new life back into the subject, at the same time as being as informative as possible! Glad it's working so far!

Not too sure on promotion... My concern is that there aren't enough young Nelson fans out there to give it any success. But I guess we'll see!

What's the name of your website? I'd be interested to check it out!

Once again, thanks everyone! :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:40 am 

This is my blog: http://chasingnelson.blogspot.co.uk/

Still working on the website :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:54 pm 
Site Admin

Vicki and Raerae:

I wonder if you'd like to add your sites to the Useful Links thread which I've changed to a sticky to save members from scrolling through yards of posts.

I'm sure we'll all enjoy looking in. Your enthusiasm and lively approach are both so attractive and engaging!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:33 pm 

Thanks Anna, I'll do that! :)

Vicki- Your blog is insanely awesome! I'll link it in Hinchy's (that's our nickname for it!) Links page, if you like. Looking forward to more! Best wishes for your blog and website!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:44 pm 

Thankyou Anna, I'd be honoured. :)

And thanks Rae-Rae! Obviously I will link Hinchy, and this forum of course, in my links page when I eventually get the website up! :mrgreen:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:18 pm 

Rae Rae

I've just had a peek at the Nelson blog for young fans. I think it is super. I've been a Nelson fan since I was eight and it was Nelson who got me interested in history and eventually a career in museums. Thnak for puttting the link in for the rest of us to see.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:33 am 

:) Thank you so much!

Profile E-mail