Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:20 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Nelson Silver Statuette
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:17 am 

I was watching Theresa May's speech yesterday about the current terrorist threat to the U.K. The R.U.S.I. logo was all over the backdrop behind her. That tells me that they have got more to worry about at the moment than my request for an old magazine article!

So will now be pinning my hopes on Birmingham Library coming up with goods.

MB

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:15 pm 

I know you guys won't be on tenterhooks waiting for the results of this research. But just to let you know that the inevitable has happened and I have to be away from Birmingham for a few days.

Pleased to say that the library have agreed to keep the items out for at least a week so hoping now that I can get in and take a look some time next week.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:23 pm 

This will be another fairly brief post - but just to confirm that I did get the chance to look through the 2 decades of R.U.S.I. Journals.

Unfortunately no mention of the statuette which was obviously the main reason for the quest.

But there was a little bit about the closure of the Museum, and 2 or 3 Nelson related items. I will give fuller details either end of this week or early next week.

MB

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:55 pm 

Phil wrote:
Mark

It sounds like you will have an interesting day looking through the Journals. There's obviously going to be a wealth of information you'll uncover. Perhaps you'll need more than a day.

Your reference and picture to the Trafalgar Display at the RUSI was very interesting. I actually have a postcard of this which probably dates back to at least the thirties or earlier. I was surprised to read that this went to a private buyer in 1966, four years or so after the date given in the article for the dispersal of the Banqueting Hall collections. redadair https://www.redadair.com Perhaps the statuette was similarly disposed of in the same way if it's not coming up in the NMM collection. When I got the postcard three or four years ago, I thought at the time that it reminded me of a display that I believe I had seen on a school trip to the NMM in the early sixties, (that dates me). But as it was sold by the RUSI a little later and to this private buyer, then it can't be the same one. As you say, where is this now? I think we're more likely to find that out than the statuette's wherabouts.

I will certainly be looking forward to hearing about what you uncover in Birmingham. Perhaps your findings will warrant an article for the Nelson Dispatch.

Regards

Phil

This can dispatch the things which are not right but some of these are moral of the things with finding the equal warrant in those beginning articles by nelson

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:52 pm 

I have just come across the previous discussion regarding the whereabouts of a silver statuette of Nelson in the Royal United Service Institute (RUSI).
There has been an assumption that RUSI disposed of all of its artefacts after the museum was closed in late 1962.
I suspect that the silver statuette is one of the items which has been retained by RUSI, as I saw it standing in the Council Room at RUSI earlier this year.
I have a photograph of the statuette, but I am not yet familiar with how to upload an image with my mail.
For the past 10 years I have been researching the RUSI Museum collection and trying to trace the current location of items from the collection.
RUSI held many items relating to Nelson, and I would be pleased to pass on any information held on my database.
Regards,
Cliff

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:41 am 
Site Admin

Many thanks for that interesting post, Cliff, and welcome to the forum.

Below is a link to a post elsewhere in the forum which tells you how upload an image - hope it works!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=588&p=3520&hilit=upload+image#p3520

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:48 am 

Thank you for your welcome and advice.
I am now seeking RUSI's permission to upload my photo.
Cliff

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:11 pm 

Please find attached the silver statuette of Nelson in RUSI's offices in Whitehall, London.
Image used by kind permission of The Royal United Services Institute for Defence and Security Studies (RUSI)
Cliff

Attachments:
RUSI 421.JPG
RUSI 421.JPG [ 140.47 KiB | Viewed 36069 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:56 pm 

Hi Cliff

It was interesting to read your posts and see a picture of the statuette. I was the one who originally posed the questions on the forum regarding its history and whereabouts etc back in 2014. Well done on your discovery and good to have a positive conclusion to the search and see the figure still on display.

You must have have had an interesting time over the years with your research into the current ownership of many of the RUSI 's former collection of exhibits. As part of this ongoing discussion, we also speculated at the time, on the resting place of the Trafalgar battle display that was said to have been sold by the RUSI back in 1966 or so. Have you come across this item in your endeavors?

Kind Regards

Phil

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:45 am 

Hi Phil, yes researching the collection of the RUSI museum has been a satisfactory way of filling in my retirement years, and has been quite an eyeopener.
When the RUSI museum closed in late 1962, they transferred many objects to museums in the UK and overseas, but they were in such a rush to divest themselves of items that the recipient museums did not receive any background information on what they were receiving. So I have been able to provide some of these museums with information about the provenance of their ex-RUSI material.
As for the Trafalgar model. It was sold by Sotheby at an auction on 22 March 1966.
RUSI was entitled to sell this item as it had been commissioned by the Institute about 1858.
The model realised £2,300 and was bought by a Miss J M Curry.
But who she was, and where the model went to I have yet to discover.
Any news on its whereabouts would be appreciated.
Cliff

Profile E-mail