Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:02 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Trafalgar Night Dinner 2018
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:46 pm 

The Painted Hall will re-open to the public early next year so I will be looking out see if there are plans to hold a Trafalgar Night dinner for 2019 after a three year absence because of the conservation work on the paintings. Because I had a really nice time at the The Royal Maritime Club in Portsmouth I have decided to go again. The dinner will be held on Friday 19 October. Non members are most welcome. Will keep you posted about the evening.

Post subject: Re: Trafalgar Night Dinner 2018
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:04 pm 

The Trafalgar Night dinner held on 19 October was a lovely evening. Entertainment was The Blendworth Brass Band followed by Shep Woolley and his 'Andsome cabin Boys. Pre dinner drinks which were included in the price included Gin & Tonic, red, white wine and brandy. Victuals were sliced breast of chicken with smoked bacon on a bed of slaw served with spiced red current dressing. The main meal was roasted sirloin of beef which melted in my mouth (just how my mum cooks it) with Yorkshire pudding, gravy roast potatoes and vegetables. The desert was brandy snap baskets filled with berries topped with cello cream. We also had a selection of British cheeses with biscuits and grapes and to finish off coffee or tea with rum flavoured truffles. The toast drinks were port and rum or Baileys. On the table was red and white wine which you could help yourself to. The cost to non members of the Royal Maritime Club was £95.00 which included accommodation and breakfast. I paid slightly more for a double room but I still only paid £130.00. The club is very close to Portsmouth Harbour station and, of course, the historic naval dockyard The Painted Hall will be open to the public next year and I have been informed that events start to be planned in the spring. I hope the Greenwich Foundation continue with the Painted Hall dinners. If they do I hope it doesn't clash with the Royal Maritime Club. I can see myself going to both!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:57 pm 
Site Admin

Many thanks for that interesting report, Tina.

I really think I must make the journey from deepest Wales next year!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:44 am 

tinapittock wrote:
The Trafalgar Night dinner held on 19 October was a lovely evening. Entertainment was The Blendworth Brass Band followed by Shep Woolley and his 'Andsome cabin Boys. Pre dinner drinks which were included in the price included Gin & Tonic, red, white wine and brandy. Victuals were sliced breast of chicken with smoked bacon on a bed of slaw served with spiced red current dressing. The main meal was roasted sirloin of beef which melted in my mouth (just how my mum cooks it) with Yorkshire pudding, gravy roast potatoes and vegetables. The desert was brandy snap baskets filled with berries topped with cello cream. We also had a selection of British cheeses with biscuits and grapes and to finish off coffee or tea with rum flavoured truffles. The toast drinks were port and rum or Baileys. On the table was red and white wine which you could help yourself to. The cost to non members of the Royal Maritime Club was £95.00 which included accommodation and breakfast. I paid slightly more for a double room but I still only paid £130.00. The club is very close to Portsmouth Harbour station and, of course, the historic naval dockyard The Painted Hall will be open to the public next year and I have been informed that events start to be planned in the spring. I hope the Greenwich Foundation continue with the Painted Hall dinners. If they do I hope it doesn't clash with the Royal Maritime Club. I can see myself going to both!

Seems like that was such a beautiful fest ..:)

Profile E-mail