Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:09 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Virtual Trafalgar Night 24 October 2020 report
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:19 pm 

The evening was great. It was on Zoom. To start off we had a short film about the battle of Trafalgar and one about the RNLI. The Romney Marsh Morris are very talented. They played insturments and sang on re-recorded video mostly as individuals but some as couples. Dress for the evening was red, white and blue tricorn hats etc. I just wore a blue shirt with red and white cotton scarf tied around my neck. Not my usual tiara and long dress. Those who liked the songs donated £1.00. The games included Mr and Mrs and dares which were £3.00 per dare and a little quiz. The mini barn dance was pre recorded with some of the Morris people going through the steps with a local dance teacher in her studio, then the music played including a fiddle. there were five dances altogether. Those of us watching either danced with their partners or teddies, tiggers. I had a bottle of Lord Nelson's spiced rum liqueur, which I used for the immortal Memory toast. I got the liqueur from one of my HMS Warrior Trafalgar dinners I think it was my first in 2012. It had been sitting in my bedroom since then so I thought it was a good time to drink it. It tasted OK. The evening raised £400 towards the local RNLI. A very different way to commemorate Trafalgar but amongst friendly people.

Post subject: Re: Virtual Trafalgar Night 24 October 2020 report
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:49 am 
Site Admin

Many thanks for the update, Tina, it was clearly a great evening - but let's hope it's long frocks and tiaras next year!