Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: New Nelson Room at the Old Royal Naval College, Greenwich
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:27 am 
Site Admin

The latest issue (No. 11) of 'The Cormorant' the house journal of former members of the National Defence College (which my husband attended as an MOD engineer/scientist), reports on the funding and management of the ORNC under the care of the Greenwich Foundation. I was not aware that there is now 'Nelson room', opened in 2005, off the Upper Painted Hall. Entrance to the College is free, but there is a 'small charge' for admission to the Nelson Room.

Has anyone visited this room?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 4:03 pm 

Hello Anna,
As this is my first posting on the Nelson & his world Forum, I can answer your question immediatly and the answer is Yes I have.
Visited it in July 2005 when it was open free if I remember rightly during the Nelson & Napoleon exhibition at the Maritime Museum.
It was where Nelson's body was kept after its return to England and I would also imagine that of Collingwood's as well.
If you are unable to visit the room, then I suggest you have a look at BBC Radio London's web site, click on History then Nelson and you will be taken to a 360 degree view of the room, Free!
Hope this helps,
Regards,
Stephen :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 4:26 pm 
Site Admin

A warm welcome to the Forum, Stephen, and many thanks for the information. I've just had a look at the link you gave to BBC Radio London and there is a lot of other interesting information in addition to the Nelson Room, including shots of the statue of Nelson - one of my favourites - by the Trafalgar Tavern in Greenwich.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 5:04 pm 

Hi Anna,
My thanks for yor kind words of welcome and glad that my answer has been of interest. The statue is indeed a great piece and I have to admit the Trafalgar Tavern is on my calling card when in London.
A great cruise on a Sunday down the Thames to the Tavern for lunch a walk in the park and a return journey back to Westminster pier ends a perfect day. Highly Recommended. :D
Regards,

Stephen

Profile E-mail