Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:17 am 

This is interesting,

www.jewell.asn.au/family-history/name.htm

:)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: William Nunn Jewell
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:32 am 

Hello - I can't thank you enough for your input in to the Jewell story!
As far as I can work out (and unfortunately my family history papers are with a nephew at the moment) there were four Jewell brothers (?) in Chatham, Kent - Richard, John, George and Thomas (hopefully father of William). Thomas had three sons - John, baptised 16/6/1777 (and I presume died as there is another John and this was quite normal) - John Nunn, baptised 21/5/1784 and died in 1863 (?) and our William. Then there must have been three daughters Elizabeth Nunn, baptised 8/5/1782 and the Mary and Sarah that you have found.
Interestingly the Nunn middle name continued for some many generations - however, there's a twist - Richard Jewell had a son Thomas Nunn Jewell, baptised 13/7/1800, why would he have included it as a middle name? (Married a sister to Mary? or just liked the name?). Or, is Richard the next generation and a son of John or George?
I was very saddened to hear of the death of Williams first Wife and Child taken so tragically. Still I have to remind myself that nobody could swim in the era that we speak of - makes you shiver to think of the scene after a major battle like Trafalgar.
Thank you also for your answers to some of my other queries - you certainly have brought the Nelson era to life for me - I've spent hours reading some of the forum - you are obviously very knowledgeable.
I have found this:
Surname: JEWELL
First Name(s): W.(WILLIAM)
Provenance: GLEN. OCT 1920. D.M. COLLECTION RN MUS.
Notes: Wounded (L.G. 1805 p 180).
Clasps: Clasp Rank and Ship
TRAFALGAR 7/6 MIDSHIPMAN BELLEROPHON
Could I bother you with another couple of questions? Do you know what GLEN. OCT 1920 means? Is D.M Donated Medals? Lastly L.G 1805 p 180?
Cheers, Pip.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:47 am 

Thank you Stephen and Tony,
...if I keep leaving you two researching the Jewell history you'll soon have me crowned as the Queen of England - well at least of Devon anyway!!!
I have always dismissed the Cornwall Jewells as they were on the other side of the country - I'll now have to dig further.
My Grandfather, who married Amy Jewell, discovered Gold in the Victorian "High Country" at a place called Corryong - this would have been about 1900 as my dad was born in 1910. Apparently it was quite a good mine and there were some pieces of gold quartz held by the family but these were unfortunately stolen during a robbery at my parents home in about 1980 - sad to lose such a piece of family history that way.
Again, can't thank you enough.
Cheers, Pip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:29 am 

Provenance is place of origin, Glen sounds like some Scottish connection?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:00 am 

Not Scotland as well....I'll be crawling all over the British Isles with a microscope at this rate!
Cheers, Pip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:24 am 

Quote:
Provenance: GLEN. OCT 1920. D.M. COLLECTION RN MUS.

The provenance is the Glendining's auctioneers sale in October 1920.

D.M. Collection is the Douglas-Morris collection of medals. Captain Kenneth Douglas-Morris was a famous collector with a huge collection. He published two magnificent books detailing his collection, and the history of naval medals. He owned one NGS medal with Trafalgar clasp representing each ship at Trafalgar, and loaned this set of NGSMs to the Royal Naval Museum. His book confirms that William Jewell's medal was one of the set, but does not have any more history for Jewell himself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:28 am 

Quote:
(L.G. 1805 p 180).

I assume this refers to the London Gazette which listed the wounded. Page 180 seems to be an error. The list is on page 1484, part of the issue of 27th November 1805, available online here: http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/15866/pages/1484

There is an online search here: http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/search/steps/1
or here: http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/search

Last edited by Tony on Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:58 am 

YOU ARE AMAZING!!!!
Cheers, Pip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm 

Thanks, Pip, it's a great pleasure to be of assistance. My own Trafalgar ancestor, Charles Mansfield of the Minotaur, came from Plymouth and lived in Kent, near Chatham

See also my edit to the previous post re London Gazette.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:27 pm 

Tony,
No doubt you are well aware of a Thomas Louis 1758-1807, who was Captain of the Minotaur at the Battle of the Nile. With his death in 1807 in Egypt, he was buried here in Malta.
As a member of the 1805 Club and its on going project on the Nile and Copenhagen memorial project I have been searching for his burial location on Manoel Island, but due to time and also due to the very heavy bombing of the 10th flotilla's Submarine base during the last war this has been in vain. But the search continues.
Maybe a separate thread is needed on this subject.

Stephen

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:42 am 

You have both been so kind and generous with your vast knowledge. Thank you very, very much.
Tony, I'd like to think that Captain Mansfield and William Jewell might have least have known each other...if only by a fleeting salute (from William of course!).
Cheers, Pip.
I'll keep you up to date if I find any more on William via the forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:56 am 

Hi Pip,

If you need any assistance on obtaining the marriage and death certificates, I can point you in the right direction with a pm.

Cheers

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:03 am 

Yes please Stephen, that would be great.
Cheers, Pip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:05 am 

Pip wrote:
Tony, I'd like to think that Captain Mansfield and William Jewell might have least have known each other...if only by a fleeting salute (from William of course!).

Pip, I hope they did meet, and Mansfield would have been very pleased to have known William - but he would have been baffled by a salute! William would have removed his hat! :)

I see the IGI record for Thomas Nunn Jewell born 1800 in Chatham is a record 'submitted by a member'. Pip, are you aware that the IGI (familysearch.org) is a disastrous mix of information and misinformation? Unfortunately it contains two sets of records: records extracted from parish registers, and records submitted by members. This is indicated in the message at the bottom of the entry. 'Extracted records' are reliable, apart from the odd transcription error. 'Submitted records' are very unreliable, and there is no indication of the source of the information. No doubt some are well researched, but in my experience the vast majority of 'submitted records' are simply incorrect, and often no more than somebody's wild guess! I would strongly suggest that you rely only on 'extracted records'.

Apologies if you know all of this, but few people are aware, and it means that all these incorrect entries are being copied into thousands of family trees all over the world. It really was a disastrous error to mix the two types of record in one database.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:36 am 

Hello Tony,
Once again you are a 'fountain of knowledge'...thank you. I have been on Ancestry.com and got that record there - yes, will be far more careful in future.
Most of the Jewell family history was carried out by Philip Jewell who is a barrister in Melbourne. I am calling him this week with all the information "Nelson and his World" have added for me and I'll also mention this to him.
Philip's research has been mostly about the family once in Australia.
His mention of William was only in passing, however, caught my eye and now I've launched on a mission to find out as much as I can about William and his World! I didn't meet my Paternal Grandmother as she passed away when Dad was young - I wasn't born until Dad was 47 and I'm now 52. Dad lived until 2005 and always talked very fondly of his mother as a loving and gentle woman - I like to think that William may have been the same, despite years at sea and involvement in War. Nelson certainly seemed to have been.
Do you know if any other members of the forum have relatives on board the Bellerophon at Trafalgar? - should I start another thread about the "Billy Ruffian"?
I really have enjoyed reading posts on the Forum - it is a fascinating subject that a lot of you have obviously thoroughly researched - you've got me hooked!
Sorry about the 'Woops" with the Salute - obviously my Air Force brat coming out in me! - I tip my hat to you, Sir.
Cheers, Pip.