Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:00 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Nelson swagger stick- help
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:39 pm 

Dear Members:
I have been a member now for less than a day. I am probably the least knowledgeable of all members.
I am a country boy from Tennessee, USA, I hold a 100 ton captain license. I have owned what I feel is a swagger stick. The Head of the stick claims that it is limited and made from oak & copper from Lord Nelson’s flag ship. It gives the date of launch, sinking, & raising. It has a likeness of Lord Nelson & Liberty. It has a small shield, suitable for monogramming.
It also has a serial number. I apologize for not having all the information, length etc. The stick is in Florida.
I am not looking to sell, but just find out information. History, age, total number, etc. Anything will be appreciated.
Help an old boat captain. Thanks in advance.

Captain Hugh Ray

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Nelson swagger stick- help
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:33 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome to the forum, Hugh!

I am not an expert but I think your swagger stick might be made of materials recovered from HMS Foudroyant, which was wrecked in 1891. Scroll down to read about the loss:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Foudroyant_(1798)

The wreck was bought by a syndicate who made a huge number of souvenirs, including walking sticks, from the recovered wood and copper and they come up for sale from time to time. See this website for details of a table (scroll down to item #3) that was a Foudroyant relic. It has been sold so there is no price given, but maybe you could contact the site owner for some information/price guidance:

http://www.cloudcuckooland.biz/nelson_sold_items.htm

We had a discussion about this on the website a little while ago:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=414

Maybe other members can add some information.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:57 pm 

Anna;
Thank you, thank you!
Looks a lot like 3rd from bottom of sold list. Not Sure of Ships name, Just rember the term flagship. I am sorry I don't
have exact information. When I return to Florida I will confirm everthing, names, dates, Photos, etc. Mine could be a walking cane that has been broken off, just seams too small a diameter. Perfect for swagger stick. Anna, if all members are as kind as you are, I'm in for a treat. You have already made an old Hillbilly happy.
Capt. Hugh Ray

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:07 pm 
Site Admin

Glad to have been of help, Hugh!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:35 pm 

Here's some details on HMS Foudroyant. ( 1798)

Lost on the 16th June 1897, she was at the time a training vessel of 58 guns (2nd Rate 80) Lost during a gale off Blackpool, England. Her anchor cable parted and was beached. Attempts were made to refloat her having had the guns removed. She was sold at the time for 200 pounds, but broke up in the winter gales in December of that year. I have seen a photograph of her beached.
Given the connections with the vessel and Nelson, and for that matter the Hamiltons and a certain Horatia, many connected trophies must be around.

:)

Profile E-mail