Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: travelling to CADIZ.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:34 pm 

I've been a nelsonian for the last four years,we have been travelling to nelson sites on our anuall holidays,
which have included London ,Ports mouth,Bath,Greenwich,Winsor Castle UK.
Also have been to El Castillo Nicaragua Central America.

We will be travelling to Cadiz Spain/Gibraltar Feb21/2010
Any info regarding this site visit ie.plaques ,memorials,museums etc. would be greatly appreciated.

UGO

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: travelling to CADIZ.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:17 am 

Ugo,

How long will you be staying at Cadiz? Gibraltar? Will you drive from Cadiz to Gibraltar? (in which case, it is worth stopping at Cape Trafalgar en route). Lots of things to see in both places. If I was to pick the key things, then for Cadiz you need to walk the circuit of the walls, and also climb up to the top of the tallest mirador - tower. Off-hand, I can't remember the name of it (it's open to the public). Beautiful views. At Gibraltar, visit the Trafalgar Cemetery (only a few are related to Trafalgar, but it's a fascinating cemetery nonetheless) and also Rosia Bay. Unless you have time, avoid the monkeys and the standard tour. I'll add a little bit more if you give an idea of timescale!

Lesley

http://www.adkinshistory.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:09 am 

Hi Lesley, Thanks for your reply. We have twelve days to check out all the sites. Your information on Cadiz - Gibralter is very helpful. If you know of any out-of-the-way places that could be easily missed, please let us know.

Loved exploring the Nelson sites visited to-date and don't want to miss anything.

Looking forward to your reply!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:08 am 

At last, I'm getting round to replying. You'll be there for a decent amount of time, which is great. These are just a few rambling thoughts, and I'll add anything else that springs to mind later on. We've put a bit on Gibraltar on our website: http://www.adkinshistory.com/newsletter16.aspx
This won't tell you what to visit, but does give a bit of background. The photograph is taken from the Spanish side. There are about three or four main hotels in Gibraltar, so what you start off doing depends on where you'll be. Assuming you're in the actual town, then you are well advised to start off by walking all down the Main Street on your first day, until you reach the Trafalgar Cemetery. At this point the taxis often stop offering tours of the Rock. This may seem too touristy, but it's actually well worth joining a tour. They will most likely drive you all the way to the top of the Rock, stopping on the way to visit the huge, spectacular caves (did Nelson ever visit them?). Then they'll take you to the top of the Rock - avoid the monkeys at all costs, and keep all food, drink and belongings packed away in your bag, or else they'll grab them. From the top of the Rock (if it's a fine day), you'll get a spectacular view towards Spain, Africa, and Gibraltar itself, so you'll understand clearly its strategic position and why the eastern side could not be used for a shelter for shipping. If you continue the tour, you should be taken to the other end of the Rock, with the displays on the siege of 1779-82. On another day you can make your own way to the top of the Rock, perhaps by the cable car, and walk everywhere (few people do this), and from halfway up you get a brilliant aerial view of Rosia Bay and the naval hospital above Rosia Bay (which by now has probably been converted into apartments - it was in progress a while back).

Must go, more another time,

Lesley

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:25 pm 

This is weird - I posted the reply above to Ugo ages ago, but the date and time has now been changed. When I first looked at it, a few minutes ago, it said 'Posted Tues Mar 30 12.08am', and at the bottom of what I wrote, it said 'Last bumped by ugo on Tue Mar 30 12.08am'. When I reopened this, the time had changed to 11.08pm, and the day was changed to Monday 29th.

Can anybody explain what is happening?

Many thanks,

Lesley

PS Since typing and submitting this, the bit that said 'bumped by ugo' has disappeared, but the date of my reply has still been altered. I originally replied back in February, just before Ugo went on his trip! How can the date be altered?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:08 am 

Lesley wrote:
Can anybody explain what is happening?

I will attempt to explain the weirdness! This has been caused by a bug in the forum software (although there seems to be a crazy argument in the phpBB software support forum whether it is a bug or whether the software is supposed to do this!). 'Bumping' a topic (which was a link at the top of older topics) is a way of bringing a topic back to the top of the list without adding a post to it, but this version of the software does it in a very peculiar way by changing the date of the last post in the topic and adding a note to that post. That note then disappears when another post is made.

Nobody 'bumping' a topic would expect that to affect a post already in the topic, and obviously nobody would expect the date of their own post to change for no apparent reason, and so the ability to 'bump' a topic has now been temporarily disabled to prevent any further confusion. Anybody wanting to 'bump' a topic will need to reply to the topic in the usual way.

Another small part of this may be to do with Daylight Saving Time (DST) or British Summer Time. If you are not logged in, the forum shows times in British Summer Time. When you are logged in, the forum uses the settings in your User Control Panel to display times using your own local timezone settings. In the User Control Panel there is an option to switch on the use of DST. I have just discovered that it was switched off in my settings and so the time shown was GMT rather than BST, and that may well be the case for others.