Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:47 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Trafalgar Night Dinner Painted Hall Greenwich 2010
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:45 pm 

The Trafalgar Night Dinner in the Painted Hall at the Old Royal Naval College, Greenwich will be held on Saturday 23 October 19.00 - 24.00hrs. Tickets cost £125. The evening begins with a coctail reception in the Queen Mary Undercroft followed by a three course dinner, complete with the Parade of Baron of Beef and chocolate Ships-of-The-Line. Rousing singing of sea shanties and of course the Loyal Toast to Nelson's immortal memory. Entertainment will be provided by the Militaire Orchestra with support from the Royal Hospital School Drummers and Sea Cadets.

Post subject: Re: Trafalgar Night Dinner Painted Hall Greenwich 2010
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:21 pm 

The Clarendon Hotel in nearby Blackheath is a good location for accomodation, if you are looking for somewhere to stay.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:07 pm 

Is this a Nelson Society event or is it open to all ?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:38 pm 

Stephen,

I believe it is open to all but, so far as I know, it is not a Nelson Society event; they usually have their own Trafalgar Night Dinner on the Saturday of their AGM weekend, wherever it may be, usually in October (and very good they are too!) As you know this year's event is in Newcastle.

I am sure however that some NS members might also attend the Greenwich 'do' if they can! I am not quite sure who organises it, perhaps Greenwich University, but it has been an event for a few years now and of course carries on the tradition of the old Royal Naval College.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:16 pm 

The 1805 Club has what looks like a most attractive Trafalgar Dinner which as yet I have not been able to make.
Maybe members of this great site should have a get together, maybe a Nile lunch at the wonderful Trafalgar Tavern in Greenwich something to think about :idea: Still confused at what is happening with the NS :roll:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:39 am 

Stephen,

That's a good idea of yours and I am sure many of us would like to meet at some stage and put a face to a name. :shock: :wink: Perhaps we should petition our 'cap', when she's back from her 'hols', as to time, place, and year, so as many as possible can get there?

It was said that the ND would be with us in February, but still no sign of it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:57 pm 

Lets have a show of hands if anyone thinks that this may be a good idea ? :P

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:18 am 

Everyone

The Dinner is organised by the Greenwich Foundation and is open to anyone. Some of the proceeeds go towards the upkeep of the Old Royal Naval College (or Hospital) site. Since attending I have met many people some former Navy, some just Nelson fans, staff from the National Maritime Museum and a British gentlemen who currently lives in Canada who was in the UK enjoying having a 60th birthday treat from his children I sat at a table with eight Americans last year who live here and they heard about the dinner and just came along to see what it was all about and they loved it. Some Nelson Society and 1805 Club members do attend. I have been going on my own for a number of years now and I never feel lonely.

There is nothing to stop us of course having our own Nelson & His World Trafalagar get together.

I

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:36 pm 
Site Admin

I'd love to go to the Trafalgar Dinner at Greenwich - though I can't manage it this year. Maybe we could plan ahead and arrange a Nelson and his World contingent next year?

A private get together might also be fun. Anybody willing to take it on?

If anyone wants to do the organising - please take soundings and go ahead.

In the meantime, if anyone is passing through Somerset, please drop in and the kettle will be on! Forum members Kester and Gail have already visited. Any other contributing member is very welcome - we have a couple of spare beds too!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:57 am 

As long as this Volcanic cloud doesn't linger until next year, I would be delighted to join! You must have got back home just in time Anna? :|

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:49 am 

My wife and I have our fingers crossed that it will clear far earlier than that – actually by the middle of next month! :roll: Stephen, we have our short holiday booked to your 'neck of the woods', Malta, from the 23rd. If it goes ahead, perhaps we could meet?

I can guarantee that anyone visiting the Chez Anna will be assured of a warm welcome! As for meeting up, I'm not sure that the Trafalgar Dinner at Greenwich would be the place to do that, even though of course it has something to do with us! I would have thought that a more private gathering would be preferable, but that's just my thought.