Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:51 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Trafalgar Night Dinner 2017
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:10 pm 

Over the Easter holiday, I went on the tour to see close up the painted hall ceiling and it was well worth £10.00 having seen it from below at a number of Trafalgar night dinners it was wonderful to be up close. Be warned, however, there are 67 steps to climb but if you can do it I recommend it. We were informed the conservation project will continue until the end of 2018 and the hall will re-open to the public in Jan 2019. This of course, means no Trafalgar Night dinner so again I have made alternative arrangements. HMS Warrior are putting on two Trafalgar Night dinners again in 2017 because of demand and I attended last year. I do recommend this if you have never been before. I have decided to try something different so I have booked to attend the Royal Maritime Club in Portsmouth. It sounds like a good evening with a sea shanty group and nice dinner. Non members are welcome to attend and you also stay there. Bed, breakfast and the Trafalgar Night dinner came to £114.00. Have a look on their website. There are no single rooms available now but I only paid an extra £25 for a double room single occupancy supplement. Will let you know how it all went.

Post subject: Re: Trafalgar Night Dinner 2017
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:26 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the heads up, Tina. I look forward to your report.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:36 pm 

Hi everyone
I attened the Royal Maritime Club, Portsmouth Tralagar Night dinner on Friday 20 October and had a lovely evening and is a great venue with plenty of space. The club is a short walk away from the harbour rail station and historic dockyard. There were pre dinner drinks and wine on the table as well as for the toasts. Starters were Salmon, roast beef with new and roast potatoes, veg and a yorkshire pudding. The desert was a generous helping of sponge with custard followed by cheses, biscuits and toffee helped down with rum truffles. Music was provided by a brass band and 'Cabin Boys' who sang sea shanties, ditties and some more modern music to get people dancing. Prior to the dinner I managed to go on board HMS Victory and enjoyed the free flowing tour. I found the audio guide very informative. I would have loved to have stayed but wanted to enjoy my double room with own bathroom. A great evening with like minded people. Breakast the following day was buffet and there was plenty of it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:23 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for that interesting report, Tina. Oh, how I envy you! My husband needs 24/7 care now, so getting away is a problem; but I really must try to commemorate Trafalgar Day properly one of these days.