Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:35 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Trafalgar Dinner Painted Hall, Greenwich 18 October 2008
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:09 am 

If you have not attended this event. I recommand it and if any one is going hope to see you. There is a very mixed group who attend, including members of the Nelson Society and those just interested in Nelson. The Painted Hall is totally transformed in the evening. This will my 5th Trafalgar dinner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:23 am 
Site Admin

Tina:

thank you for posting that. I shall be away on the 18th but it would be nice to have a report and some idea of costs etc. Do they provide overnight accommodation? I know my husband has stayed overnight there on occasions when he has attended dinners there in the past.

Is it a very formal occasion? Would ladies need to pack a full-length evening dress?

Post subject: Painted Hall Greenwich
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:36 am 

The cost of the ticket is £120.00 which includes pre dinner drinks and ertainemnt,a wine, port and three course dinnerand the ships-of-the-line. . I am afraid you have to find your own accommodation. For a number of years I stayed at the IBIS but this year will be staying at the Devonpart Hotel which appears to be a popular place for those staying the night. If anyone is thinking about attending next year, you can put your name down on a mailing list. I will take careful note of the evening and write a report back.

Post subject: Trafalgar Dinner Painted Hall 18 October Report
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:23 pm 

I attended my 5th Trafalgar Dinner at the Painted Hall on 18 October. Dress code is Black Tie or uniform with decorations. ladies choose what they like and most opt for a Little Black Dress, plain or with sparkle. I wear a long gown.

The evening began in the Queen Mary Undercroft with cocktails from 7pm. and you are not rationed. As I arrived I was given a seating plan and I calculated there were over 200 guests. We wait until called to dinner and made our way to the Painted Hall to the tune of The Roast Beef of Old England by the Royal Artillery band, who provided the entertainment supported by the Royal Hospital School, Holbrook and Sea Cadets. The guest speaker was Vice Admiral Sir Jeremy Blackmore who trained as a naval officer when the college was the active Royal Naval College.

The courses have vaired from four to three, the fourth being cheese and biscuits. This year we had three courses. The first was a trio of Salmon and the vegetarian was salad of char-grilled jerusalem Archokes with roasted beetroots and wild Rocket. The main course is Baron of English Beef served with Chateau potatoes and roasted root vegetables. The beef is first paraded through the centre of the hall accompanied by drums. The vegetarian main was warm Woodland Mushroom Tart and included the vegetables. Throughout the dinner, we were served plenty of wine and water. A decanter of Port was available for the toasts to The Queen and The Immortal Memory.

The ships of the line, in previous years contained chocolates and were served after desert. This time as well as last year, they contained our desert of Chocolate Rum and Raisin mousse. The Ships of The Line can be eaten and taste very much like Kit Kat covered in rich chocolate. Each table has its own ship and they all brought in with sparklers. Dinner was rounded off with coffee and chocolates.

After dinner, a Baritone solo encouraged us to sing along to Spanish Ladies, Rule Britannia, Heart of Oak (the words are included in the programme). The naval hym which ends with: " for those in peril on the sea" is also sung. The evening ended at midnight with the Queen Mary Undercroft bar opn until 1am.

Tickets cost £120.00 and does include acoomodation. For your money you have a really wonderful venue, cocktails, dinner and entertainment. There are a couple of places to stay in Greenwich within a short walk of the venue. In previous years, I stayed at the Ibis but this time stayed at Devonport House Hotel which cost £109.00 for 1 night and included breakfast. The Ibis is approximately £20 cheaper. There is also a Novohotel which is just outside Greenwich train station. I have never stayed there because it is a longer walk.

I have asked the organisers, The Greenwich Foundation, to let me know when the 2009 dinner is held. Normally it is on the Saturday closest to Trafalgar Day.

I hope this helps anyone who is thinking about attending next year.

Post subject: Trafalgar Dinner 18 October
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:26 pm 

Sorry, I have just read my report and made an error. It should read after ticket cost that it does not include accommodation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:26 am 
Site Admin

Tina:

thank you for that comprehensive report. It sounds like a wonderful event. A date for the diary next year, perhaps?

I've put details on another thread of inexpensive accommodation in London.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:20 am 

Tina,

I'm sure you had a wonderful time, but I'd be interested to know the actual words used in the toast to the Immortal Memory, at the Greenwich Trafalgar Dinner.

Were they to 'The Immortal Memory'? Or did they use the revised toast, which was I think used again in 2005, but which I believe used the original wording? I think the words were 'To Lord Nelson and those who fell with him?' Perhaps someone can give the correct wording.

I think the latter is the better, and more appropriate toast. Nelson would surely have agreed.

Kester

Post subject: Imortal Memory Toast
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:30 pm 

I believe it was the revised toast. I will check my programme. I agree it is this toast which nelson would have approved of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:44 pm 

Tina,

Thank you for your reply. I feel sure it was the revised toast they used.

Kester