Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Nelson Vol 2, John Sugden
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:02 pm 

Many thanks indeed and hope you have a very good 2012.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:06 pm 

'Nelson: The Sword of Albion' has now made it into the Bodley Head catalogue as publication in October (although listed elsewhere as 27 September). See page 4 of this pdf: http://www.vintage-books.co.uk/Download ... d=10703051

There are also a couple of talks & book signings by John Sugden lined up for 25 & 27 September in Ely & Bath: http://www.randomhouse.co.uk/authors/john-sugden

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:54 pm 
Site Admin

That's wonderful news. I'll be in my running shorts to make it to the head of the queue in Bath!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:39 am 

Great News indeed !!! Hurrah. :D :D :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:10 pm 

Dr Sugden will also be giving a talk at 'Waterstones' Trafalgar Square, on 26th September:
http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/displayDetailEvent.do?searchType=1&author=John|Sugden
Booked my ticket today!

Richard.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:24 pm 

Fabulous news. This is the one everyone's been waiting for.

Apparently the publication date is 27 September for the UK and 23 October in the US. Perhaps that explains the difference between the release dates.

Here's a PR trailer from the National Archives bookshop:

Quote:
Undoubtedly the most comprehensive and intimate biography of Nelson ever written, The Sword of Albion encompasses the high dramas of the Battles of the Nile, Copenhagen and Trafalgar.

Sugden brilliantly interweaves graphic accounts of Nelson's famous victories at the battles of the Nile, Copenhagen and Trafalgar with his lesser-known yet equally gripping campaigns to liberate the Italian states from French domination and his role in the blockade of Malta, often snatching remarkable triumphs from crippling reverses. But behind his military prowess was a man riven with paradoxes and schisms at the very heart of his personal life.

Nelson emerges as a strong-minded but vulnerable human being in constant need of affection and reassurance, whose relations with superiors, colleagues and friends were intense and stormy. We meet the fighting admiral in search of ultimate military victory, and the glory-hunter skillfully manipulating his public image; the national hero and patron of merit, and the indigent commoner trying to secure his position in a society dominated by wealth, property and land; the family man, and the adulterer who scandalized society by his passion for the mercurial Lady Hamilton - yet whose ambition for domestic tranquility was destroyed by his untimely death at Trafalgar.

The triumphant and the tragic lend an epic yet human quality to the life of Nelson, fully exploited here in a richly detailed narrative that teems with a glittering array of sailors and civilians, heroes and villains, husbands, wives and lovers.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:34 pm 

More talks by Dr Sugden are listed on the Nelson Society website:

http://www.nelson-society.com/2012/08/j ... of-albion/

(Actually posted by Anna - Belladonna is my daughter. I'm at her house and using her computer.)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:21 am 

1040 pages!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:08 pm 
Site Admin

Well! I can't believe I have the Blessed Volume in my hands at last!

I managed to get to Bath to hear John Sugden's talk at the wonderful Topping's Bookshop and to receive the signed volume from his own hands!

His talk was inspirational: I feel he really understands Nelson in a fundamental way that others have not and look forward to further expansion of his insights in the book. He is not uncritical of Nelson - far from it - but he captures his greatness too. Despite his apparently exhaustive researches, he feels there is more material 'out there' and looks forward, with great generosity, to other scholars taking up the challenge.

I'm also delighted to report that the researches of both Jacqui and Tony are quoted in the bilbliography: Jacqui for the Literary Assassin, in which she revealed John Watkins as the hitherto unknown author of the Memoirs of Lady Hamilton; and Tony for his Mariner's Mirror article, 'Great Expectations' which is described as 'essential reading'. Brian Vale, too, is commended for his immense, scholarly contributions to the naval history of the period.

I've only just begun the book but it promises to be as satisfying and illuminating as Volume 1. Happy reading!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:50 am 

In both the notes and acknowledgments John Sugden also expresses particularly warm appreciation of the assistance he received from Richard Venn, saying that his discussion of Edward Parker relies heavily on Richard's assiduous research (previously discussed in these forums).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:32 pm 
Site Admin

Gosh, sorry, Richard, I missed that! Apologies and congratulations on joining such august company.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:25 pm 

I was at Trafalgar Square on Wednesday to see Dr Sugden's talk, and collect a signed copy of the book. It was a great night and a real thrill to meet Dr Sugden. Our many discussions, and his constant interest, support and encouragement during my project were incredible. So pleased he was able to use some of the information!

Richard.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:20 pm 

I've downloaded it and can't wait to read it, 1040 pages !!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:22 pm 

My wife has just bought Vol 2 for my birthday! :D

However, I can't read it yet – the 'problem' being that I have to finish reading Vol 1 first! Hooray! :wink: