Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:54 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Trafalgar Night Dinner on HMS Warrior
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:33 pm 

I had a really great evening on HMS Warrior on 19 October and recommend it for something different Dress was Black Tie or Victorian dress.The dinner was held on the gun deck and I had forgotton what a long ship Warrior is. We had a pre dinner drink of either a tot of rum or sloe gin and tonic. I picked the sloe gin because it lasted longer. A professional photographer was present to take pictures and I took up the chance to get a decent picture of myself in my Victorian costume. For those who may have attended I was the lady in the red crinoline dress with black accessories and a long blond wig with ringlets. Dinner consisted of smoked Salmon and confit of slmon terrine with basil pesto dressing and rocket salad or Local loosehanger cream cheese bavarois with fig confit. There was the parading of the beef with the Trafalgar Drummers. The beef was thickly cut and easy to eat and was served with carrots, French beans wild mushrroom and chateau potatoes and the vegetarian choice was Moroccan parcel of sweet potatoe, chickpeas and spinch served with aubergine sauce. Dessert was lemon and ornage Eton Mess or cheeses. Followed by coffee and mints. There was short speech by Cdr Ken Jones Captain of HMS Warrior. We had port to toast The Queen and of course Nelson which were taken sitting down as it was safer. We each had a small bottle of spiced rum and as our table had a spare bottle one of our party dropped a spot into our coffess and it tasted wonderful. Entertainment was Festival Brass and The Old Sea Dogs. The Old Sea Dogs went around each table to play. We had a sing song which consisted of Heart of Oak, Bless 'em all, Spanish Ladies, There'll always be an England, What Shall We Do With the Drubken Sailor, Jersusalem and, of course, Rule Britannia with plenty of Union flag waving. The evening closed with dancing. I didn't dare go to the loo becasue of the steep steps and rope handles but fortunately I lasted the evening.

Post subject: Re: Trafalgar Night Dinner on HMS Warrior
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:31 pm 

tinapittock wrote:
We had port to toast The Queen and of course Nelson which were taken sitting down as it was safer.

I believe it is also naval tradition, although there are various historical references as to how it came about.

Anyway, it sounds like you had a good time! :wink:

Post subject: Re: Trafalgar Night Dinner on HMS Warrior
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:30 am 

Sounds lovely.

Joss

Profile E-mail