Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:51 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Bid to save Norfolk Nelson Museum
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:22 pm 

Apologies if this has appeared before. I've had a period of ill-health and haven't visited the site frequently of late.

http://www.greatyarmouthmercury.co.uk/n ... _1_1742148

I wonder where in West Norfolk they planned to move it?

Christmas Greetings to everyone.

- Mil aka Torfrida -

Post subject: Re: Bid to save Norfolk Nelson Museum
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:22 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for drawing this to our attention, Mil. I'm sorry to hear you've been ill and hope things improve soon.

I am glad some effort is being made to preserve the museum. I think the economic situation is affecting many places of interest as there's less money about for jaunts. I've never visited but have had contact with the helpful curators. They have a selection of Nelson related books for sale at reasonable prices. They will send a list of available stock if you contact them and will post purchased items.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:12 pm 

Mil,

I was very sorry to hear this, and hope something can be done to keep it in being.

I visited the museum with the Nelson Society, during their AGM weekend in 2006, and thought it very worthwhile with some good exhibits, and building on the important Ben Burgess collection. It will be a shame indeed if it cannot be saved.

I hope you feel better soon.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:17 pm 

In the newspaper article it refers to moving the museum "to the West".

Do you think by that it means one of the Burnhams?

I suppose there would be some logic in having the museum in closer proximity to Burnham Thorpe.

MB

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:39 am 
Site Admin

A move to the Burnhams might actually make sense. As well as the Nelson connection, it is a very popular and upmarket holiday area, less affected by the current economic climate and with a goodly number of affluent second home owners. The Nelson Museum might just be the place to take your visitors on a wet and windy Saturday when beach walks are unalluring.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:45 pm 

Reading some of the comments at the bottom of the article, it seems like moving the museum might not be such a bad idea, in terms of increasing the number of visitors. I went there with the Nelson Society at the AGM weekend this year and it does feel a little out of the way and forlorn, somehow, especially as it was chucking it down with rain! I really don't think the council make the most of the 'Nelson connection', especially with the loss of the jetty and considering that the area around the Nelson monument is now so industrialised as well. I think maybe the museum would be more at home somewhere closer to Burnham Thorpe, the memory of Nelson has been retained there a lot better, I felt.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:55 pm 

I visited the museum in June last year on a Saturday day trip to Yarmouth. Even though it was a pleasant summers day, the area its located in along the old port area was virtually deserted and in the hour or so in the museum, I was the only visitor there. Whilst I quite enjoyed the visit, I was a little disappointed overall in the number and nature of exhibits on show, which was mainly devoted to the commercial commemorative memorabilia produced since Nelson's death, rather than any of his more personal possessions. A collection I though more of interest to the enthusiast and purist rather than for the casual visitor, which a museum of this type needs to encourage, to survive.

I certainly agree with some other comments that perhaps it needs a better location in the county. Whilst Yarmouth had some Nelson connection, I believe he only visited the town on three occassions and at best could be said to be only passing through. Also I don't think it has any particularly strong naval tradition such as Chatham or Portsmouth which might encourage enthusiasts, it being associated more with having a long association, like its neighbour Lowestoft, with the commercial fishing industry.

I don't think the collection is strong enough in itself to warrant and sustain a dedicated building of it's own. Perhaps it could be moved to an existing venue in Norfolk that already has a wider appeal to visitors and which could incorporate it in two or three permanently dedicated exhibition rooms.

I certainly hope the collection is kept together and survives in some format within Nelson's county.

Phil

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:46 pm 

Norfolk newspaper report. "Reprieve for Great Yarmouth's Nelson Museum." :D

http://bit.ly/16G7MV0

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 6:30 pm 

Appear,

Thanks for that. It's good to hear that the Nelson Museum might be on the way to better times.