Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:50 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Book dedications
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:21 pm 

It seems to have been fashionable in the Nelson era and sometime thereafter to start a book with a quite flamboyant dedication.

I just happened to be looking today at the autobiography of a singer published in the 1820's that is dedicated to the King.

The dedication reads:

TO THE KING

Sire,

I most respectfully, and dutifully, lay at the feet of my Sovereign the memoirs of a life which has derived its happiest, as well as its proudest passages, from his Royal condescension and patronage.

Your majesty rules over millions of affectionate subjects, all bound to bless your name for benefits, either conferred or secured; but, out of that multitude, not one heart can beat with a more fervent sense of obligation, than that of the very humble individual who has been graciously permitted, thus publicly to subscribe himself,

Your Majesty's
Ever grateful and dutiful
Subject and servant

The words in red infer that he had had to obtain the King's permission to include this dedication.

Does anyone know if this was the case - and how the procedure worked?

MB

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Book dedications
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:59 pm 
Site Admin

One of Jane Austen's novels ('Emma') is dedicated to the Prince Regent. He was a great admirer of her novels, and she was invited, via the royal librarian, to dedicate a book to him. Unfortunately, the admiration was not reciprocated, but she did not feel able to decline the invitation, which is, accordingly, far less fulsomely worded than the one you quote, Mark; though she maintains the fiction that it is 'by Royal permission'. (Click on the link below and then on 'the dedication' to see the exact wording.) One wonders how many authors who apparently dedicated their books to members of the Royal Family 'by permission' were actually nudged in that direction by an invitation via the librarian. I suppose if you really had the urge to offer a dedication, you could approach the King through 'the usual channels'.

http://www.austen.com/emma/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:55 pm 

Anna

That is fascinating!

I never imagined that any author would only include a dedication under sufferance.

But it is interesting that the Royal Librarian was involved. Perhaps all formal decisions re. dedications were delegated to that position.

Having said that I just glanced in the front of James Harrison's biography of Nelson and his book is dedicated not only to The King but also ALL his subjects etc. etc.

It's all quite weird and intriguing!!

MB

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:10 pm 

Well, it wasn't exactly a democracy. The the authors had to be quite careful, especially if they were writing something that would piss someone off. If I remember correctly, Jane Austen's dedication was beautifully worded. It was also icy to the touch, if dug an inch dig into the sarcasm. :wink:

Profile E-mail