Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Collingwood's theatrical company (in drag and out)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:00 am 

Collingwood illustrates the expertise of his part-time players and their drag act.

TO LADY COLLINGWOOD.

Ocean, off Cadiz, January 22, 1807.

I was expecting to hear of Mr.______ 's death. He is happily released from a life that has been of little comfort to him for some time ; nor does the prospect before us promise much for any body : but I was sorry to find that he made so unkind a return for his brother's affection. This is a queer world we live in, or rather that you live in; for I reckon that I have been out of it for some time past, except the mere ceremony of shaking off mortality, which we do with great facility here. The only thing we have in common with you, are our assemblies, concerts, and plays. We have an exceedingly good company of comedians, some dancers that might exhibit at an opera, and probably have done so at Sadler's Wells, and a band consisting of twelve very fine performers. Every Thursday is a play night, and they act as well as your Newcastle company. A Moorish officer, who was sent to me by Hadgi Abdrahman Ash Ash, the Governor of the province of Tetuan, was carried to the play. The astonishment which this man expressed at the assembly of people, and their order, was itself a comedy. When the music began, he was enchanted; but during the acting, he was so transported with delight, that he could not keep his seat. His admiration of the ladies was quite ridiculous ; and he is gone to his Prince fully convinced that we carry players to sea for the entertainment of the sailors : for though he could not find the ladies after the entertainment, he is not convinced that they are not put up in some snug place till the next play-night. Thank God ! I have no complaints, except sometimes a little cold in my head ; for I have not seen a fire these two years.

Between the bookends of resignation, the salute to the players is fascinating (and very funny). A window on a little world of talent and creativity aboard the ship, it leaves me longing to know more about these people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:56 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for that, Galiano. I must read more of Collingwood's letters - always beautifully expressed and much more polished than Nelson's sometimes rough, dashed-off messages.

I wonder if anyone has written a book or paper on play-acting on board ship? It was not uncommon, I believe. I can't give a reference - this is just a scrap of wool snagged on the bramble bush of my brain, but there is a letter from Fremantle to his wife in which he records that he had dined with Nelson and was about to leave for his own ship when Nelson asked him to stay and watch the play that the men were to perform. He recalled that the men who played the female parts, 'the movements and the voices, were entertaining to a degree'.