Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:37 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 'A heaven-born Admiral'
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:07 pm 

Today is the anniversary of the capture of the Genereux on 18 February 1800, which prompted Ball to describe Nelson to Emma Hamilton as 'a heaven-born Admiral, upon whom fortune smiles wherever he goes', as Nelson had arrived the day before, just in the nick of time to steal all the glory!

Ball was pretty pleased that he and Emma had just received the Cross of Malta (the main subject of his letter), but I can't help thinking he felt a touch of resentment that the Genereux hadn't arrived a couple of days earlier!

It's a wonderful letter, complete with a bit of mischievous matchmaking:
Quote:
"Malta, 27th February, 1800.

"My dear Madam,

"I most sincerely congratulate your Ladyship on the distinguished mark of favour which his Imperial Majesty, the Emperor of Russia, has been pleased to confer upon you in creating you Chanoiness of the Order of St. John of Jerusalem. He has been graciously pleased to confer upon me the honour of Commander of the same Order, from which I derive a double satisfaction. The first, in the honour of being your brother and defender; and secondly, from the consideration of its being a token of regard of my invaluable friend and patron, Lord Nelson. This memento will have the same effect upon your Ladyship's mind. With what joy you must have received the news of his Lordship's success in the capture of the French Admiral's ship, the Genereux, with a corvette, and the dispersion of the rest of the enemy's squadron bound to Malta, not one of which will ever attempt to make for the destined port. We may truly call him a heaven-born Admiral, upon whom fortune smiles wherever he goes. We have been carrying on the blockade of Malta sixteen months, during which time the enemy never attempted to throw in great succours until this month. His Lordship arrived off here the day they were within a few leagues of the island, captured the principal ships, and dispersed the rest, so that not one has reached the port. I dined with his Lordship yesterday, who is apparently in good health, but he complains of indisposition and the necessity of repose. I do not think a short stay here will hurt his health, particularly as his ship is at anchor, and his mind not harassed. Troubridge and I are extremely anxious that the French ships (Le Guillaume Tell in particular), and the French garrison of La Valetta, shall surrender to him. I would not urge it if I were not convinced that it will ultimately add both to his honour and happiness. It will only be a sacrifice of a short time, after which he may retire to enjoy the air and society of his good friends at Palermo. What a gratification it would be to us if you and Sir William could pay us a short visit. We could make up a snug whist party every evening for Sir William, but we should fall very short in our attempts to amuse you, when we consider the multiplicity of engagements and amusements you have every day at Palermo.

"Troubridge is extremely ill, of a bilious complaint, which will require time to get the better of. I write to Sir William by this conveyance. I therefore only send my best respects to Miss Knight and Mrs. Cadogan. I wish we could bring about a match between the former lady and Captain Gould: he has money enough for both, and she abilities. Adieu, my dear lady and sister. May you live a thousand years; but at all events may you be supremely happy while you live, prays your

"Obliged brother and friend,
"Alexander John Ball.

"Her Excellency Lady Hamilton, C.S.J.J. "Is that right? pray tell me how to address your letter."

Post subject: Re: 'A heaven-born Admiral'
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:12 pm 

Nelson might well have been 'a heaven-born Admiral, upon whom fortune smiles wherever he goes', but it might be worth noting that naval politics prevented his followers from being so lucky! The capture and commissioning in the RN of the 'Genereux' resulted in a number of valable promotion to captain, commander and lieutenant. Alas, instead of Lord Nelson's men benefitting, Lord Keith purloined them for his followers. Blackwood wrote to Lady Hamiliton in April 1800 saying

"By the following arrangement, you will see how completely the Irish Peer [the scathing decription used by Keith's detractors] has monopolised all the promotions which the well-timed exertions of Lord Nelson threw his way. Manly Dixon goes into the 'Genereux', Lord William Stewart into 'Lion', Capt Brenton into the 'Guerriere' and Lord Cochrane into the 'Speedy'. John Bodine being last, no vurther promotioins can take place."

The greatest casualty was probably the humbly born Lieutenant William Harrington, who commanded 'Alexander' during the capture in the absence of Ball. He could legitimately have expected to be promoted to commander. Alas, Lord Keith gave the post to the aristocrat Lord Cochrane, who only real claim to fame at that stage (whatever his subsequent spectacular achievements) was that he was one of the many Scotsmen crowding the Scots commander-in-chief's flagship clamouring for promotion. Poor Harrington died a lieutenant.

Brian

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:13 pm 

And it didn't stop there for Nelson's followers. The Genereux prize business also caused some consternation for John Tyson, who wrote about it to Lady Hamilton:

"... on my passage to Syracuse, 21st Feb. 1800... You will, no doubt, be surprised when you see this dated from the Audacious, but I have left Lord Nelson. Be not alarmed, my Lady, it is for my benefit, and only for a time, and that great and good man proposed it, and I, of course, acquiesced... the Captains, who were at the capture of the Genereux, have done me the honour to appoint me the Prize Agent, which when it was understood by Lord K. there were a number of black looks and orders given respecting the prizes which I did not like; therefore I went, and waited on him, and told him the whole of the circumstances, and that it was necessary for the benefit of the captors that should have the direction of the sales of them, and at the same time I gave his brother and Secretary one half of the agency, which brightened all up again, and now I am one of the best fellows in the world with him..."

Tyson couldn't resist a touch of sarcasm rolled up in his flattery of Lady H:

"... I almost regret that I had not been born a Scotchman, and had not Lancashire produced a Lady Hamilton, whom I am so proud of calling my country-woman, I do not know, but I might hail from the North of the Tweed."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:32 pm 

What share of the prize money did Harrington get? I believe Ball was unable to claim the captain's share because of his civil position ashore.