Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:50 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Veni Vidi Vici - verse by Emma on Nelson up for grabs
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:18 pm 

A little verse in Emma Hamilton's hand, venerating Nelson's victory at Copenhagen, is currently up for auction at Bonhams on the 29th March. The estimate is £1,000 - £1,500.

Here's a link: http://tinyurl.com/6xqtu4l

It's a while since I've taken a surf around the auction houses, can anyone say how hammer prices are standing up for Nelson related items in this worldwide recession?

Post subject: Re: Veni Vidi Vici - verse by Emma on Nelson up for grabs
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:21 pm 
Site Admin

A slightly different version of the verse also appears in Jack Russell's 'Nelson and the Hamiltons':

'Two thirds of Caesar's boasted fame
Thou, Nelson, must resign.
To come and see is Parker's claim,
To conquer only thine.'

He merely says that it 'delighted her so much that she put it in her letters'. It might have been another's composition.

I think Nelson related items are holding up quite well in these uncertain times. There was the locket with the lock of hair that went for £40,000+ a short while ago. In another recent sale (in the US, I think) I noted that most things sold at the lowest estimate or below, except for a Nelson letter which slightly exceeded the maximum estimate. A very reputable dealer I have bought from had some Nelson material on his website recently which sold pretty smartly. Of course, his prices might be negotiable in this recession. I didn't haggle over my purchases - though this was some years ago!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:22 pm 
Site Admin

An intriguing piece in this link about a possible 'double-entendre' in the verse:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/mar/0 ... ord-nelson

Any comments?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:12 pm 

Here's a press release from BNPN – Bonham's Press Agency - updated with new information just come to light from Mark Barrett

A mysterious riddle contained in a four line verse in the handwriting of Emma Hamilton and sent to her lover Lord Nelson has been solved.

The cryptic quatrain had baffled experts until it was seen by an author who is writing a book about the famous lovers.

Jacqui Livesey has uncovered that Emma was being a tease and using puns in the ditty that only Nelson would understand.

The previously unknown verse was penned following Nelson's victory at the Battle of Copenhagen and is titled Veni Vidi Vici - I came, I saw, I conquered.

After the battle, Emma wrote to Nelson, including a few lines of verse sent to her by a well-wisher. She and Nelson occasionally adapted the poetic effusions of friends and admirers for their own personal use. Classical allusions, laurel wreaths and the conquering Caesar were a favourite refrain of hers and this poem appears to be a typical example. Replicating the words written across Nelson's birthday column, it reads:

"Two thirds of Cesars boasted-Fame
Thou Nelson must Resign
to Come & see was parkers Claim
to conquer only Thine"

The hand-written note is part of Roy Davids' collection of manuscripts which he is selling at Bonhams later this month.

He was curious to unravel the meaning of the mysterious lines and now the truth of the touching verse has been revealed and also the equally moving reply from Nelson.

The title is a reference to the party Emma threw for Nelson's 40th birthday in which she erected a rostral column decorated with flowers and the words 'Veni, Vidi, Vici."

The "parker" is a reference to Edward Thornbrough Parker, a struggling young officer who Nelson had met in Italy and taken under his wing.

He sailed between Nelson and Emma delivering their letters.

Emma and Nelson soon dubbed him 'little Parker' and the young man quickly gained the confidence and friendship of the couple

Emma's poem was a typical paen to Nelson's glory, but also - using a small 'p' - hid a double pun.

It was a flattering, teasing reference to "Little Parker's" good fortune in being in her presence.

She had driven Nelson wild with jealousy in the previous months, when rumours reached him that the Prince of Wales wished to make her his mistress, and this was a teasing reassurance.

"Little parker" was welcome to 'come and see' her, but only the absent Nelson could claim the conquest.

She also cleverly linked the "parker" of the poem with Nelson's compromised Commander-in-Chief at the Battle of Copenhagen, Sir Hyde Parker.

It was he whose order to break off from battle was famously ignored by Nelson who put a telescope to his blind eye so he couldn't see the signal.

The little 'p' gives away the real identity of the "parker" in Emma's poem.

Jacqui Livesey who is writing the book about Lady Hamilton and Nelson has even discovered the reply that Nelson sent Emma after receiving her verse.

It reads:

"My dearest beloved Friend, - Yesterday I joined Adml. Totty, when I found little Parker with all my treasures, your dear kind friendly letters, your picture as Santa Emma, for a Santa you are if ever there was one in this world to Mrs. Denis say every kind thing you please for her letter. Tell her I want not to conquer any heart if that which I have conquered is happy in its lot. I am confident, for the conqueror is become the Conquered. I want but one true heart. There can be but one love, although many real well-wishers."

Little Parker and Nelson returned to England at the end of June, 1801.

By the end of September Parker was dead, shot high up in the thigh during a night-raid on Boulogne in one of Nelson's rare defeats.

His death, after lingering in agony for more than a month and suffering the amputation of his shattered leg, devastated Nelson who had grown to regard Parker as a surrogate son.

Nelson asked that a lock of Parker's hair be cut off to be buried with him when his own time came.

Four years later, following the Battle of Trafalgar, as the coffin lid was finally closed prior to Nelson's lying in state and funeral, it was.

Mrs Livesey said: "Emma and Nelson spent a great deal of time apart. So writing to each other was very important. There are hundreds of letters from Nelson to Emma, which she kept.

"But very few remain of those that she sent to him. He always burned them and advised her to do the same, but she ignored his advice and kept them.

"Some of those letters she sent to him we only have because either they didn't reach him or were sent before news of his death reached Emma and they were returned to her.

"So this letter is very rare. It is clear the relationship was very intense and they idealised each other because they spent so much time apart.

"Emma deliberately wrote the verse as a riddle, using puns, and she knew that Nelson would understand what she meant.

"And he replied in a similar fashion. It is a fascinating insight into the relationship between the famous lovers."

The sale of the note is taking place at Bonhams on March 29 and is expected to fetch 1,200 pounds.

ends

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:25 pm 
Site Admin

Mira (Jacqui) posted a response to my post above in which she drew some very interesting and persuasive inferences about an intriguing sub-text to this poem. In the meantime, Mark followed a hunch that the verse was not by Emma as claimed in the inscription on the mount of the original sale item, and discovered a letter in which Emma noted that the verses had been sent to her. We thought it wise to take down the thread temporarily as a courtesy to Bonhams, so that Jacqui could inform them of Mark's discovery, fully accredited to him, and make a slight emendation to the earlier press release, to include this new information.

I think also, it throws a new and fascinating light on Emma and her somewhat complex relationship with the English language. We know that she occasionally wrote doggerel verse; we know also that she was in the habit of appropriating others' phrases (for example, 'If it be a sin to love him it is a sin worth going to hell for' is a direct appropriation of the words of Nelson's friend Bulkeley; her warning to Horatia 'when my fostering arm can no longer shield you' is lifted from a song by her friend Michael Kelly). Here, though, she is taking someone else's verse and re-working it to weave in a sub-text that is subtle, witty and rather sexy! This is something new, I think, and perhaps shows a more confident Emma?

Well! Doesn't it show that there's no stopping the Nelson's World troops when they follow a scent. Congratulations!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:41 pm 

Hammer price was £5,040 incl. buyer's premium.

Obviously significantly above original estimate - but nothing new there!

All in all I would say not a bad price for an item in Emma's characteristic handwriting - strong Nelson association - direct connection with one of his battles etc. etc. :)

MB

Profile E-mail