Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:44 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: HMS Polyphemus at Battle of Trafalgar
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:48 pm 

Conducting research on my fathers family. Per a family diary and family lore his 3X greatgrandfather William McKey (born circa 1780 in Woolwich, Kent, England) served with Admiral Nelson on the HMS Victory as a boatswain. Per the diary he was killed during the Battle.

My research has found a William McKey who served on the HMS Polyphemus as an able bodied seaman. I can't confirm whether this is the same William McKey. I also couldn't determine if he died during the Battle. Can anyone asist me in my research?

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

yn9man

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: HMS Polyphemus at Battle of Trafalgar
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:36 pm 

yn9man

This is all a bit intriguing.

The William McKey who was AB on HMS Polyphemus at Trafalgar was . . . . wait for it . . . . . .

Born: Woolwich
DOB: 1780

BUT he survived the battle and lived on until at least the late 1840's. He received the Naval General Service Medal with Trafalgar bar and this only went to men who were still alive in circa 1847.

So whether this is your man . . . . . at the moment I really don't know!

Can you tell us a bit more about the diary? i.e. when it was written and by whom. It would be great if you could tell us the whole entry that relates to McKey

Plus any more details about McKey and how the story passed down through the family.

Thanks

MB

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: HMS Polyphemus at Battle of Trafalgar
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:22 pm 

MB -

First, thanks for such a quick response to my post. I don'ty have the diary with me right now. I will put it out and respond as soon as I can. MY house is undergoing some remodeling but I think I know where my McKey file is. Off the top of my head the family lore and diary is written by a grandson of William McKey. What is also interesting is John McKey, son of William (at BOT) was killed at sea on his way to America in 1852.

Again I will get back to you as soon as possible and thanks for your quick response.

DA

Profile E-mail