Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:38 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Midshipman (?) Holburne or Holborne
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:36 am 
Site Admin

Does anyone have any information on a Holburne or Holborne who served - possibly as a midshipman - at Trafalgar?

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Midshipman (?) Holburne or Holborne
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:24 pm 

No Holborne but a Holburne - on HMS Orion

Details below:

Birthplace: Midlothian
Born 1793, Midlothian, son of Sir Francis & Alicia Brayne (TR PM)
Age in 1805: 13
Joined Ship: 30 Jul 1805 from Portsmouth
Recruitment: Volunteer
At Battle: On board on 21 Oct 1805
Injuries: None identified
Prize Money: Awarded Prize Money of £1 17s 8d
Granted a Parliamentary Award of £4 12s 6d
Medals: Awarded the Naval General Service Medal with Trafalgar Clasp
Death: Died 17 Feb 1874 10 Cavendish Crescent, Bath (PPR)

Will Proved 2 Jun 1874 Executrix: Mary Ann Barbara HOLBURNE spinster, sister. Retired Cmdr RN

Volunteer First Class so would have been a midshipman 2/3 years later.

MB

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:39 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks, Mark.

The reason I asked was that I'm going to see the newly-refurbished Holburne Museum in Bath next week which houses the collections of Sir William Holburne. I had a vague notion of having read that Sir William had served at Trafalgar, though most Google searches refer only briefly to his having had 'some naval service.'

http://www.holburne.org/collection-history/

His brother was also a naval officer who reached flag rank, and died at the battle of Bayonne - he bequeathed his sword to brother William as he lay dying.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:36 pm 

Anna

Very interesting. You would have thought they would have made a bit more of his presence at Trafalgar!!

I have pasted William Holburne's entry from O'Byrne's Biographical Dictionary below. It has been OCR'd so apologies for any "typo's".

It reveals an apparent misunderstanding. i.e. his brother was actually in the army not the navy. Albeit there were a few other Holburnes in the navy - the most eminent being his grandfather.

Quote:
Sir Thomas William Holburne is only surviving son of the late Sir Fras. Holburne, Bart, (whom he succeeded as fifth Baronet 13 Sept. 1820), by Alicia, daughter of Thos. Brayne, Esq., of co. Warwick ; grandson of Fras. Holburne, Esq., Admiral of the White, Rear-Admiral of Great Britain, Governor of Greenwich Hospital, and M.P. for Plymouth ; and cousin of Sir Alex. Holbume, Bart., a Captain in the R.N., who died 22 Jan. 1772.

His elder and only brother, Francis, an officer in the 3rd Foot Guards, died of a wound he received before Bayonne, 14 April, 1814.

This officer entered the Navy, in July, 1805, as First Class Vol., on board the Orion 74, Capts. Edw. Codrington and Sir Archibald Collingwood Dickson, under the former of whom he fought at Trafalgar. In Feb. 1807, after having been for some time employed at the blockade of Toulon, he became Midshipman of the Tonnant 80, bearing the flag of Hon. Michael de Couroy; in which ship we find him, in 1808, accompanying Sir John Duckworth to the West Indies in pursuit of a French squadron from Rochefort ; and, in Jan. 1809, assisting at the embarkation of the army after the battle of Corunna. Until Nov. 1812 he next presents himself to our notice as serving with Rear Admiral De Courcy on the Brazilian station in the FOUDROYANT 80.

He was made Lieutenant, 5 Feb. 1813, into the Stromboli bomb, Capts. John Stoddart and Rich. Croker, with whom he cruized in the Mediterranean until the autumn of 1814 ; and he was lastly, from April to Oct. 1815, employed in the Channel on board the Euphrates 36, Capt. Robt. Preston. Agents — Messrs. Stilwell.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:31 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the info. and the correction, Mark. I can't now find the site which said - or maybe I misread it? - that William's brother had reached flag rank and bequeathed his sword.

There is, apparently, a pamphlet published by the Museum on Holburne's naval service. I'l try and pick one up next week.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:31 am 

The museum has an interesting snuff box made from part of HMS Victory dated circa 1820: http://www.holburne.org/muse/search/ite ... umber=X322

It is engraved "MADE FROM / THE COMPANION LADDER DOWN WHICH NELSON / WAS CARRIED / ON THE GLORIOUS 21ST OF OCTOBER 1805".

It is interesting that the inscription is so specific. Are there any other known pieces from the companion ladder? Or indeed any other pieces made from wood from Victory this early?