Nelson & His World

Discussion on the life and times of Admiral Lord Nelson
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:02 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: In Defence of Admiral Sir Robert Calder
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:52 am 
Site Admin

'It is a pity that he [Sir Robert Calder] couldn't have shown the same diligence with regard to opposing the French Fleet, in what has since I believe become known as Calder's Action, on its return to Europe and almost the Channel, after the long chase to the West Indies in 1805. By so doing he would also have saved himself, and his career, from the irreperable damage that followed. He would probably also have made Trafalgar uneccessary – and perhaps today we might have a Calder Square in London, complete with a Calder column! '

This is a quote by Kester in an interesting digression from another topic Inside Nelson's World. I thought it worth opening another thread to post a comment by James Anthony Gardner in his reminiscences of naval life: 'Above and Under the Hatches.' He served under Calder and gives one man's contemporary view of the admiral.

Gardner, a man of irrepressible humour, had cause to feel aggrieved by Calder's peremptory manner on occasions; nevertheless, he is engagingly fair in his comments:

'A braver officer never stepped between stem and stern than Bobby Calder. I had great reason to dislike him, but will do him justice as well as my humble abilities will allow. An error in judgement is what every man is liable to..........Sir Robert Calder was found guilty of an error in judgement by the sentence of a court martial; but no man can deny that he was a brave and meritorious officer possessing the first-rate abilities of a British admiral.

The newspapers at the time were teeming with abuse; but the braying of those asses soon sunk, and had no other effect than to show the malignity of their leading articles. One of the blackguard papers was particularly vindictive. It was edited by wicked Daniel, who snaps like a cur and fawns like a spaniel.'

I'm not familiar with the details of the Calder action; but didn't Nelson himself say that he had perhaps been judged severely because Nelson's own success had 'raised the bar' in regard to what was expected of a commander in an engagement? In any event, he was exceedingly considerate of Calder's feelings when he was called home, allowing him to go home in his ship which was needed for the forthcoming battle. In his letter of explanation to the Admiralty, he wrote: 'I may have done wrong as an officer but I trust I shall be considered to have done right as a man. He is a brother officer in affliction. My heart could not stand it and there the matter must rest.'

Post subject: Re: In Defence of Admiral Sir Robert Calder
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:48 am 

Anna,

There are obviously different points of view about this but, reading between the lines of this sometimes quoted piece, it hardly seems that Gardner is giving Calder fullsome praise here. There would appear to be some lingering bone of contention or grievance, even though (seemingly) it was written some years later. I don't know when Gardner actually wrote it, but he does say 'The newspapers at the time were teeming with abuse,' so it sounds as though it were some years afterwards. I may be wrong here, but it might almost be an obituary for Calder which he was asked to write, perhaps against his inclinations and because he had served with him. If this were happening today, one can actually imagine him saying this to a microphone-wielding reporter on the BBC news, perhaps after the funeral (I think in 1818)) and after she had asked him, 'Mr Gardner, what are your feelings on the death of Sir Robert Calder?' Try it and see, especially with the first paragraph.

As to his remarks about the newspapers, things obviously haven't changed much!

With regard to the Admiralty's censure (and I have not read that much about the action either) I feel that they have some claim. I can accept that Calder had difficulties, the fog for example, and that he did have some success at the first clash, but he then seemed more intent on looking to the safety of his prizes and seeing that his own ships were in top-notch order, before thinking about pursuing Villenueve. I can't imagine Nelson doing this, and imagine he would have followed the French at all costs, perhaps calling on some of the less damaged ships to pursue. I'm not sure that prizes were all that important to Nelson, in light of the bigger picture, which here was surely perilous in the extreme – with the French fleet almost in the Channel itself, which of course was their intention. We have to remember, there was also the 160,000 man so called 'Army of England', waiting at Boulogne waiting to embark when this fleet arrived. I also read that he was rather reticent about facing the French fleet in the first place, merely because they had a few more ships than he had. I would have thought that the Royal Navy was quite used to that, and that it didn't deter them unduly! They were probably not in the best of fighting trim either, following the passage across the Atlantic.

It would seem that this 'misdemeanor' went very deep with the Admiralty, since Calder never held a sea appointment again, although they eventually gave him the position of Port Admiral at Plymouth. They presumably thought that he couldn't cause much harm there. Strangely, one site I was reading (and which was very pro-Calder) were of the view that this was some sort of vindication. I'm not so sure!

As to Nelson's behaviour towards Calder, I think one has to say that this was just Nelson – magnanimous, in letting Calder remain in the Prince of Wales for the passage home (for which I think he was criticised) just when Trafalgar was looming, and for his generousity towards him. However, I think he would have done this for any of his officers. As to Nelson's own words on his having 'raised the bar', he may to an extent have done, but I think there were other officers who had and were doing the same thing – even before Nelson. For example, Nelson was not the first to 'break the line'.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:12 am 

The book on Admirals of the Napoleonic Wars (essays on admirals who served at the same time as Nelson) has several different historians making the same argument (also applied to Hotham). The point is essentially as you said. Nelsons actions caused what was regarded as a successful naval officer to be re-written. Without Nelson both Calder and Hotham would be regarded as having won actions with skill and both their endeavours were entirely in keeping with how Naval fleet actions were fought up to that point. Unfortunately for them Nelson laid a new template and people use that to re-act to their actions.

I usually explain this in terms of the theory of relativity..The giants of that period like Nelson and Napoleon are like huge planets that attract information and warp that informations path. This is through historical magnetism (look at the amount of books on Nelson/Napoleon ), national propaganda, the individuals own propaganda (both Nelson and Napoleon were very good at forcing adjustments to the historical record in their favour) and tends to do a disservice to other officers at the time.

Joss

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:19 am 
Site Admin

Welcome to the forum, Joss!

Kester:

re: Gardner's comments: they are included in his book of reminiscences, intended originally to entertain his family and friends, and with no thought of publication. You are right in thinking that Gardner wrote this long after his service was over. But I think it is his honest opinion, though recollected in the tranquillity of retirement. He is amazingly frank, often hilariously so, about his shipmates - praising and damning according to their deserts.

If you haven't read it, do try and get hold of a copy. It is full of wonderful stories and delightfully eccentric characters - you do get the sense that about 50% of naval personnel were ever so slightly mad - told with great good humour. Next to Nelson (and maybe Sam Sutton), Gardner is the man of 'our' era that I'd most like to meet - a golden-tongued Irishman full of fun and merriment. I bet he could 'set the table on a roar!'

My edition is 'Above and Under the Hatches, being Naval Recollections in shreds and patches with strange reflections' by James Anthony Gardner, Commander R.N., edited by Christopher Lloyd, published by The Batchworth Press London 1955

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:06 pm 

Anna,

You've wetted my appetite with this one too! I'll certainly look it out – any ideas where? Abebooks perhaps, or Bookbarn?

Joss, indeed, welcome to the forum and thanks for your input.

Last edited by Devenish on Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:21 pm 

Thanks both. You can find Gardners book for as cheap as 1p on Amazon. As with most things the sender makes their profit out of the P&P

Joss

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:27 pm 
Site Admin

WHAT???? I paid £20 for mine!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:56 pm 

Joss,

Sold!

Anna,

Oh, dear, and to think you could have bought that new book on Fanny with the money instead! :wink: